• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Ron Wellman Apologize?

FreeStateDeac

Reaction score
It takes a big person to admit a mistake.

It takes an even bigger person to apologize for the mistake.

Ron Wellman's hiring of [Redacted] was not just a mistake. It was an inexcusable mistake.

If Ron Wellman had hired a formerly successful big-time coach who just could not recapture the magic (think a Tubby Smith), I would be more than willing to grant him total slack at this point. If he had hired the Hot Young Mid-Major Coach of the time, but who just could not make it at the next level, I would also give him complete slack.

Bz was neither. He was a demonstrably awful choice at the time, someone with absolutely no credentials that made him suitable to build and sustain a winning Wake program in the ACC. What's worse, that was blindingly obvious to the entire basketball world and the Wake fan/alumni/donor base at the time and ever since. Wellman then compounded his mistake several times over with his repeated condescending remarks and attempts to censor dissent (e.g., closing down the call-in portion of the coaches show).

The Bz hire wrecked Wake's flagship athletic program, one that has given the Wake community pride for decades. Now it is a joke and thousands of fans who used to buy season tickets and loyally attend games have washed their hands of the entire mess. The Joel is a morgue.

In the corporate world, epic mismanagement of your most important product gets the CEO fired. Period. Wellman won't be fired. Apparently when it comes to the Athletic Director's performance, accountability is not part of the Wake management culture.

At this point, firing Bz is inevitable. Wellman has no choice. The real question is whether he will man up and apologize for this epochal -- and entirely preventable -- disastrous hire.

I hope two things happen: Ron does make a sincere apology and then he makes a superb hire. He showed with the Clawson hire he is capable of doing so. I would really like to see Ron Wellman do both so he can retire with all Wake fans and alumni singing his praises and this awful period of division and recrimination caused by the Bzz hire can be put in the past for good and the process of restoring pride in Wake basketball can begin at full speed.

Not a chance. He might not even admit anything was wrong.

No, he will never apologize to the fans for this ridiculous hire. He's probably convinced himself Bz was the best possible hire given the circumstances.

No. He'll retain bz because he has seen "drastic" improvement and loves the direction we are heading. Only after both he and bz die of old age will there be a change.
#deacsforlife
#legacy
#futureNITcompetitors

No. He'll retain bz because he has seen "drastic" improvement and loves the direction we are heading. Only after both he and bz die of old age will there be a change.
#deacsforlife
#legacy
#futureNITcompetitors

If this happens I will start sending in money for a year long billboard campaign.

He won't apologize or even concede it was a bad hire. He'll proclaim [Redacted]'s time a success as he set a strong foundation for Wake's future or some other similar BS.

He won't apologize or even concede it was a bad hire. He'll proclaim [Redacted]'s time a success as he set a strong foundation for Wake's future or some other similar BS.

We need a [Redacted] resigns press conference drinking game.

Foundation
Culture
Great guy
Did everything he was asked
Tuesdays
Road wins

What else?

We need a [Redacted] resigns press conference drinking game.

Foundation
Culture
Great guy
Did everything he was asked
Tuesdays
Road wins

What else?

Young/lack of experience
Rental agreement
Prius

Ron pointed out the reasons he fired Dino so I hope he is man enough to admit his mistake. Who the hell am I kidding?! There is no chance he will apologize.

Why should he when he can ride out of town working for the NCAA after this year or next.

No, he will not apologize for anything because he doesn't think that he has done anything wrong. In fact until yesterday's debacle I think he was planning to keep Bzz for one more year. I'm not sure what is going to happen now.

I don't think so. Ron had a gut feeling that turned out to be wrong, perhaps based on the beat down administered by Air Force, personal familiarity, NBA press clippings or otherwise. He won't, and probably shouldn't apologize for that, and that doesn't bother me.

If fired (the occurrence of which I am still not certain), Bz will receive his utmost thanks and a "mission accomplished" banner for restoring the culture of the program and setting the foundation for future success the "Wake Forest way".

What does bother me is how the hiring was handled and spun after the fact. His thinly-veiled shots at Dino and past players with the culture references were unprofessional. His decision to make Bz rehire the existing staff with whom he had no prior working relationship (which, admittedly, Bz did not have to accept) was admirable in some respects, but inept in any reasonable estimation. Then, his approach to those fans who voiced their displeasure was based on unreasonable denial at first, but then became dictatorial and heavy-handed in an effort to drown out all dissent, all of which was perceived as insulting and led it the "mass alienation" of many fans. For those missteps, he does owe the fan base an apology. Sadly, though, I do not believe that it will be forthcoming, and Ron Wellman will be nothing more than a man that continues to read, and believe, his press clippings from the previous decade and carry an inflated sense of self-worth. Just as we needed a new head football coach with a new attitude and passion, we need a new AD that will bring our athletic department out of the small-time feel that pervades the entire operation to a professional organization that more effectively develops the WF brand, supports the needs of our student athletes, and provides the resources for our coaches and players to succeed at the highest level possible.

Last edited:
Back