• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you support a ban of the sale and possession of all firearms in the USA?

??

• Total voters
Amazing how statistics matter until they don't. I used this thread as a clear statistical example of my point. In return I get #anecdotes. Funny how that works.

Why is it a persecution complex to admit the reality that this board leans heavy left. It is what it is. The only reason I ever bring it up is because for some reason there are members of the board that like to argue against it in spite of clear evidence to the contrary. When that evidence presents itself in a clear and concise fashion I like to illustrate the clear reality of our discussions. The reason I believe it matters is simply because we have members of this board that do a great job of convincing everyone that the center in this country has moved way right, when in reality this board is simply left of the center on average. That matters on a macro level on the Tunnels because it affects the starting point on which most discussions begin. For instance this thread begins with the question about a full ban of all firearms, and we are only a few votes (6 to be exact at the time), away from being split 50/50 on an issue that 80% of the country is in agreement upon.

It isn't a persecution complex to comment on the reality of the political makeup of this board. It gives proper perspective to the discussions that ensue.

It's impossible for both to be true?

Yet to be compelled by a single argument for legal gun ownership.

As I've read them so far:

Constitutional right (amendments can and have been changed)
Protection (numbers don't bear this out at all)
Liberty vs security (I'm fine skewing right here)
It'd be hard to ban them (so fucking what?)

Alcohol does maim and kill. Why should the purpose matter, what is important is the outcome. Alcohol consumption like gun ownership is dangerous to society.

I know that but I don't think the people who stumbled upon wine or mead or whatever in ancient times thought of it as a product to kill. I wasn't there, but I'll bet that whoever invented guns thought wow these are much easier to kill people with!

Back to the subject at hand. Just heard from a friend that they have arrested a shooter on the campus of Mississippi State. Potentially one suspect still at large. No shots fired or injuries reported yet.

Just saw the update on Twitter. Suspect in custody. Campus has the all clear. Classes resume at 2pm.

False report. There is a 2nd shooter. A buddy of mine on SWAT is almost at campus. They are preparing to arrest the 2nd shooter. Shots have been fired apparently.

I have never argued against that. I said this board leans farther left than the general population. I used this thread as a perfect example. The statistics are representative of my point. 42% of the people responding on this thread are in favor of a full ban. Nationally that number is probably somewhere between 10-15% (we know it is at least less than 25%). I have made my point. I don't need to repeat it 10 times.

Back to the issue. Will try to update on Mississippi State as I find out. A friend of mine's daughter is on campus updating him, and I have a friend whose wife is on the SWAT team that is one campus. Hopefully there are no injuries or deaths.

SWAT called off. Situation is stable, but SWAT is sticking around to ensure. Seems any injuries were avoided.

I have never argued against that. I said this board leans farther left than the general population. I used this thread as a perfect example. The statistics are representative of my point. 42% of the people responding on this thread are in favor of a full ban. Nationally that number is probably somewhere between 10-15% (we know it is at least less than 25%). I have made my point. I don't need to repeat it 10 times.

Back to the issue. Will try to update on Mississippi State as I find out. A friend of mine's daughter is on campus updating him, and I have a friend whose wife is on the SWAT team that is one campus. Hopefully there are no injuries or deaths.

Correct. In the general population, leftists ideas are laughed at and quickly disregarded, whereas here we have to endure them on a daily basis.

This board leans heavily left on most social issues pretty much due to age that's about it. However the shift to left thinking on social issues is a national movement as olds die off.

Vox article on the Australian gun buyback program.
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback

On April 28, 1996, a 28-year-old man with a troubled past named Martin Bryant walked into a cafe in Port Arthur, a tourist town on the island of Tasmania, and opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle. He killed 35 people and wounded another 28.
Australia's prime minister at the time, John Howard, had taken office just six weeks earlier at the head of a center-right coalition. He quickly drew a very clear conclusion from the Port Arthur killing: Australia had too many guns, and they were too easy to get.
"I knew that I had to use the authority of my office to curb the possession and use of the type of weapons that killed 35 innocent people," Howard wrote in a 2013 op-ed for the New York Times. "I also knew it wouldn’t be easy."

There were fears that the mandatory buyback would provoke resistance: During one address to a crowd of guns rights supporters, Howard wore a bulletproof vest. Thankfully, fears of violence turned out to be unfounded. About 650,000 legally owned guns were peacefully seized, then destroyed, as part of the buyback.
According to one academic estimate, the buyback took in and destroyed 20 percent of all privately owned guns in Australia. Analysis of import data suggests that Australians haven't purchased nearly enough guns in the past 18 years to make up for the initial decline.

This board leans heavily left on most social issues pretty much due to age that's about it. However the shift to left thinking on social issues is a national movement as olds die off.

This. Back in the late 90s, 94Deac and LK were the only posters who were opening atheist. Now it's a complete change.

I have no idea where this "general population" is that jhmd speaks of. If he lives in a place that represents the entire population, that's where they should conduct all the polls.

This. Back in the late 90s, 94Deac and LK were the only posters who were opening atheist. Now it's a complete change.

I have no idea where this "general population" is that jhmd speaks of. If he lives in a place that represents the entire population, that's where they should conduct all the polls.

My jurisdiction is on the Deez for 9%.

from 2/23/15

GUNS ON CAMPUS: OVERVIEW

In 23 states the decision to ban or allow concealed carry weapons on campuses is made by each college or university individually: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.
Due to recent state legislation and court rulings, 7 states now have provisions allowing the carrying of concealed weapons on public postsecondary campuses. These states are Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin. In March 2014, Idaho's legislature passed a bill premitting concealed weapons on campus and making it the 7th state to permit guns on campus.

The main reason I began following The Tunnels was to get a good idea what the thinking is on issues from the left. I do believe the skew is largely age driven. In my experience people under 30 tend to skew heavily left. People over 50 tend to be quite conservative. The old board seems to be a majority older group and also quite a bit more conservative politically.

Amazing how statistics matter until they don't. I used this thread as a clear statistical example of my point. In return I get #anecdotes. Funny how that works.

You got anecdotes because you said that this board was more liberal than the general population and others said its just more liberal than you're used to. Other people just chimed in on this general topic

Back