• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fun to see Deacon fans of all stripe

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
enjoying some success on the gridiron.

I still hold to my somewhat irrational view that this group of young Deacons will win another ACC Championship.

The season is far from over but looking ahead, and considering how the program and players evolve within, it holds a tremendous amount of promise going forward.

The incorporation of several elements... Lobo, love him or hate him, gets a 1/2 season under his belt working with Coach Galloway. Our 2 headed DC gets a year wiser after a solid rookie campaign from Knorr/Billings.

Our 19 year old QB becomes 20 and the outlandish claims of his ending up being a better ballplayer than Riley Skinner no longer seem outrageous. He will end up being the greatest QB to ever play at WF. I know of Norm Snead. I'll stick to it and bear up the slings and arrows headed at me.

Our JR to be SR wideout is, as it turns out, not far from Jeremy Maclin and I stick to the earlier pronouncement that he will be the finest WR to ever play at Wake --- at least until Sherman Ragland gets his day in the sun, and he will brother, he will!

The evolving offense and incorporation of talents (chemistry) went quite well this season...despite the loss of the player who team members thought would be the offensive leader (Harris based on Spring and Fall performance) the Deacs saw integration of Galloway's new techniques and several offensive players (Campanaro, Terrence, Chris, and Orville)

Areas for concern? As always the Offensive Line -- :)

Same as it ever was...the difference in 2012 is that the Deacs have lots of capable bodies and a couple of kids (maybe 3-4 actually) who have All-ACC and possibly All-American ability. Pass blocking will be a pre-season challenge but the Deacs begin with a surprising kid in the middle in the 6'4-317 pound SR Center Garrick Williams. The Deacons have at their command a group of OL with more run blocking potential than the heady group of Collins,Azzolina,Moosebrugger. Colin Summers is a giant as is Cody Preble and those 2 are serious drive blockers and guys who'd look at home in the SEC. Hunter Goodwin and Intemann/Heartsill also have very large power bases. Blitch is an aggressive big man who has more legs than Weaver. Antonio Ford has an ass and build like the uglies Nick Saban lines up and Chase-Bolling are in their JR seasons which is when the staff anticipated their ramped up participation (as recruits). Young, yet much more physically advanced than the OL's we've seen pre-2011.That and temperment...only a couple that yoiu have to coax the 'nasty' out of.

TE is a question mark....I will say that I've not given up on Garcia/Basford but the new kid Zach is an "out of the box" recruit for WF. He is the type of big, strong and polished TE you see year in and out at Notre Dame. Anthony Rook is a big bodied kid with soft hands who can run and looks a little like Alge Crumpler.

Talk D later...

maybe I misread this, but did you say TP is gonna be better than Skinner?

I mean, Lectro may be completely insane, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. From the postgame notes:

• He now has 19 TD passes on the year, which is third-best for a single-season in school-history.
• His 26 career TD passes are now tied for eighth-best in a career in school history.

Just based on stats, he is one of the best we have ever had. Watch him play, he plays better than a lot of sophomore QB's do. He may not win as many games because of last season, but he has a good chance to.

After the duke game LAST year somebody posted he was already better than Skinner, that was crazy. To say he might end up being better than Skinner now is bold, but not completely unrealistic. Price is only a true soph.

Until Price carries us to a ACCCG or ACC Invitational (whatever they call it now) I still say Skinner is the best QB to ever play at Wake. Keep in mind he was only a freshman too. Granted, our defense was incredible.

Until Price carries us to a ACCCG or ACC Invitational (whatever they call it now) I still say Skinner is the best QB to ever play at Wake. Keep in mind he was only a freshman too. Granted, our defense was incredible.

Yeah, that defense was incredible and this one is fair to awful. I don't thik that says much about the respective skills of a quarterback.

Tanner played when he was 17 years old. Riley started as a 19 year old.

Let's see how this season ends. Does our performance in the second half against Maryland mean that we have learned to finish games? Vandy and our bowl game will tell. This team was able to stay with most everybody this year but didn't know how to stick in the dagger and finish off the other team. If they have now learned that, we can be a very formidable team next year.

Tanner Price is most certainly a better QB than Riley Skinner at this juncture in my opinion.

Just curious: was Larry Russell the best QB ever to play at Wake until Riley in 2006? Based on your logic, this must be the case.

Yeah, that defense was incredible and this one is fair to awful. I don't thik that says much about the respective skills of a quarterback.

This defense isn't close to awful. They're solidly fair to decent, but light years from the 2006 group.

Why does it have to be comparison anyway, what skinner did stands on its own. Price is still writing his career.

This defense isn't close to awful. They're solidly fair to decent, but light years from the 2006 group.

Last year it was most definitely awful. This one is fair most of the time. At some times this year it has been awful in the second half.

Nowhere to be found during 3 game losing streak.

Shows up again after win.

So predictable.

Price could very well land in the NFL! I loved Skinner but Price's mechanics, arm strength and accuracy (most of the time) are deadly!!! I just hope once he gets the recognition he does not let it go to his head. We have a bright future with this kid under center!

Back