• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Self

vadimivich

Reaction score
vadtoy is a KU alumn, so I watch a bunch of Kansas basketball ... and honestly, I don't think she or other KU fans realize just how awesome they have had it since Bill Self was hired.

KenPom rankings by year:

2003: #5 (Self's last season at Illinois)
2004: #13
2005: #12
2006: #6
2007: #3
2008: #1
2009: #10
2010: #2
2011: #3
2012: #2

Are you fucking kidding me? Nobody else is even close to that consistent. Not UNC, not Duke, not Kentucky. Nobody. Every year they know they will be a top 10 team under Self, no matter who is on the roster or how recruiting goes. They know they will win every single game at home (seriously, you have no idea how awesome it is to book a trip to see KU play at AFH and just KNOW you'll see them win). Every year they will win the Big XII, no matter who else is in the conference.

You mind also posting Illinois' rankings since Bill Self left? Is Bruce Weber on the hotseat? Seems they haven't done shit since Deron Williams, Dee Brown, and Luther Head all left. I used to think Self was lucky to get the Kansas gig and that Weber was just as good if not better. Now I tend to think Kansas is lucky to have Self and Weber is just mediocre at best.

Illinois post Self:

2004: #12
2005: #2
2006: #11
2007: #33
2008: #40
2009: #24
2010: #53
2011: #18
2012: #38

No comparison. Once Self's monster recruiting classes left - Illinois has kind of just been a bubble team every year.

Kansas has been the only consistent B12 team over that time. Texas, KState, Mizz, and now Baylor have made noise but they've been up-and-down. The conference stays strong in overall RPI/SOS but it's because as some teams are down, others are up and their general OOC scheduling stays relatively challenging.

Oklahoma State had a Final Four team in there too (one of Self's worst losses was early in his tenure down at GIA to that Joey Graham / Tony Allen / John Lucas team). The Big XII is a pretty solid basketball conference, and for KU to just utterly dominate the way they have under Self is remarkable. Not even Roy ever had KU playing at this level for this long.

I am finding out just how awesome it is for myself on February 18th. :)

Self has won 84 of his last 85 in Allen Field House, with the only loss coming the day after Thomas Robinson's mother died and the entire team stayed up all night.

I think counting on a KU win is a pretty safe proposition for your trip.

Self has won 84 of his last 85 in Allen Field House, with the only loss coming the day after Thomas Robinson's mother died and the entire team stayed up all night.

I think counting on a KU win is a pretty safe proposition for your trip.

The stat I saw the other night was that Self's teams were 240-10 at home when combining his years at Tulsa, UI (where he was 39-1 at home), and KU.

That's some incredible shit.

Oh yeah, well [Redacted] went to the NCAA tournament once!

He's won seven conference titles in a row? He'll have his hands full with Baylor this year but you have to believe he'll find a way to get it done again.

You could easily argue that Kansas has been one of the Top 5 programs in the NCCA all the way back to when Dr. Naismith was their first coach.

Self is a really good coach, but whomever takes his place will do about as well or as well as he's done.

Roy Williams at Kansas 1988-2003 (15 seasons): 418-101, .805. 4 Final Fours, 9 Regular season conf. champs, 4 Conference Tournament Champs

Bill Self at Kansas 2003-present (in 9th season): 251-49, .837. 1 NCAA Championship. 1 Final Four. 7 regular season conf. champs, 5 Conference Tournament Champs

Got one of my Masters at KU. Going to Allen Fieldhouse was always something to look forward to. I even took a class on Ritual in Sports (I got an MA in Religious Studies and Ritual Theory) and we got to go through the storage rooms of Allen Fieldhouse to find some old stained glass windows of Dr. Naismith and Phog Allen. We also got to watch some old ass video footage of Dr. Naismith's practices.

The freaking Kansas coaching history is absolutely absurd.

It goes:

James Naismith
Phog Allen
3 donkeys
Larry Brown
Roy Williams
Bill Self

That's it. That's the list.

And Naismith is the only coach in Kansas history with a losing record.

Roy Williams at Kansas 1988-2003 (15 seasons): 418-101, .805. 4 Final Fours, 9 Regular season conf. champs, 4 Conference Tournament Champs

Bill Self at Kansas 2003-present (in 9th season): 251-49, .837. 1 NCAA Championship. 1 Final Four. 7 regular season conf. champs, 5 Conference Tournament Champs

Everyone knows that Roy is nowhere near the coach that Self is.

Self is the best at recruiting a team, not just taking the best or highest-ranked players.

Wake destroyed Kansas at the Joel awhile back.

Just wanted to think about that for a second.

Back