• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

Nobody thinks [Redacted] was our top choice, but people inside basketball knew who he was. That posters on this board didn't is irrelevant.

Your points are immaterial.

There is no evidence that [Redacted] and Wellman had any contact before the search.

Dude, there are lists of the top assistant coaches in the country. There are lists of the top coaching free agents in the country. They circulate every year. I know that Jeff [Redacted] wasn't on either of those lists when Wellman was allegedly making his shortlist.

I follow three basketball leagues (NCAA, NBA, and ACB) very closely and have for 15 years: so I knew who Jeff [Redacted] was at the time. That doesn't answer my question or illuminate the key points of contention in scooter/Ph's exchange.

The key point was that it was cronyism that got Jeff [Redacted] onto the short list and eventually the Wake job when Stevens and Smart rebuffed our offer. You have added nothing to clarify this in either Ph or scooter's favor...

But, since we're now going back-and-forth, please answer the following:

When was the last time that a college basketball coach with a losing record at the bottom of a BCS conference was offered a job at a better school with a winning record in a better conference. Let's quantify "losing record": 25% in-conference winning percentage.

Last edited:
At the time we hired [Redacted], Smart was not on anyone's real radar. He gone to the CBI Touney. No one thought he was ready for the ACC. There is no way we approached him at that.

I would say the top people we contacted were Stevens and Alford.

I am not saying [Redacted] was a good choice. What I am disputing is it was cronyism.

Everybody remembers the Air Force game. I bet very few people had any idea who coached that team.

agreed. unfortunately one of the very few was wellman. it all goes back to the early wellman press conference when he said (paraphrase) "that sometimes you just have to go with your gut." he knew what bzz resume was and he threw it out the window based on something. previous or current relationship? maybe. one great interview? maybe. one fecking win over wake? maybe.

wellman thought he was the smartest guy in the room and rolled the dice. he has done nothing but pretend everything is peachy since day one. there has been very little good since that press conference. we'll see if ron is in fact the coach whisperer and the smartest guy in the room. but as we all know, there will have to be a 180 degree turn around from where we are now to get there. and as i love to remind people that is 360 degree from where we were the day bzz was hired.

At the time we hired [Redacted], Smart was not on anyone's real radar. He gone to the CBI Touney. No one thought he was ready for the ACC. There is no way we approached him at that.

I would say the top people we contacted were Stevens and Alford.

I am not saying [Redacted] was a good choice. What I am disputing is it was cronyism.

So you're calling Ron Wellman stupid. Got it.

I guess that's better than cronyism?

Those are two completely different charges.

Not really:

Either he 1) hired his friend or 2) he's an utterly incompetent coaching talent evaluator.

One of those explains the [Redacted] hire. I'd like to believe it's #1.

Not really:

Either he 1) hired his friend or 2) he's an utterly incompetent coaching talent evaluator.

One of those explains the [Redacted] hire. I'd like to believe it's #1.

No #2 could be he just made a mistake on this one.

And yet, he hasn't corrected an obvious mistake with over 2 years of evidence to learn from. Odd.

When a mistake is that foreseeable it can't just be brushed aside as a mistake. 95% of the fan base and media thought it was a bad decision.

When a mistake is that foreseeable it can't just be brushed aside as a mistake. 95% of the fan base and media thought it was a bad decision.

That's what I was getting at...

Video of 2014 Combo forward Gary Clark. He was at the Elite camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPzKHvoTvm4

Yea Clark is very talented. He's a do-it-all type of guy that has a lot of potential, but will just need to commit to working. I've seen him a couple times in the past two weekends and included him in both my write-ups. I already posted the one from the Elite Camp but here are the two of them together:

http://recruitinghype.blogspot.com/2012/05/plenty-of-talent-on-hand-at-big-shots.html
http://www.bloggersodear.com/2012/6/5/3064454/wake-forest-elite-camp-recap

2014 is still a bit down the road but in my opinion, if we somehow landed him and Shelton Mitchell that would be a very very solid class

From what I've seen, Mitchell should be close to #1 in priority for us. Obviously Peg can refute/deny that notion.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS
Missouri assistant Ernie Nestor has resigned, source told CBSSports.

"Although the Huskies have not offered a scholarship, Reed said UConn, Louisville, Xavier, Cincinnati and Harvard are the schools he’s most seriously considering at this point. Davon Reed, the No. 52 player in ESPN’s top 100 for the Class of 2013, hopes to make a college decision sometime in the fall. He averaged 26 points and nine rebounds per game as a junior.

http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketball/2012/06/06/recruiting-spotlight-davon-reed/

Damn.

"Although the Huskies have not offered a scholarship, Reed said UConn, Louisville, Xavier, Cincinnati and Harvard are the schools he’s most seriously considering at this point. Davon Reed, the No. 52 player in ESPN’s top 100 for the Class of 2013, hopes to make a college decision sometime in the fall. He averaged 26 points and nine rebounds per game as a junior.

http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketball/2012/06/06/recruiting-spotlight-davon-reed/

Damn.

Well, there's that. I think we can call it: Tommy Amaker has turned Harvard into a more attractive option than Wake.

Back