• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

So no wonder he's so hyped about recruiting. It's the best thing he's done here.

So no wonder he's so hyped about recruiting. It's the best thing he's done here.

His transfer rate is higher than 20%, which in turn is higher than those transfers' chances of making the NBA.

thedeacfan, I disagree, he's helped accomplish much more than that including 4 National titles, first BCS bowl, #1 ranking in basketball, deacon towers etc. A good athletic director not only makes good hires but gives those hires the ability to succeed on the highest level. The Bzz screwup has made people really forget some of his better moments. I don't want to derail the recruiting thread anymore than I already have (sorry guys) but if you, Ph, or anyone else that wants my take on wellman, good/bad hires etc feel free to shoot me a pm and i'd have no problem sharing my thoughts. Sorry again for the derail to guys coming expecting recruiting information.

Even if that's true, I don't want to remember. Ron hired his buddy; he's not man enough to fix it; and further, Ron's boss isn't man enough to tell his employees that crony hiring is not acceptable at Wake. There is no acceptable excuse for hiring Buzz-loser. There is no acceptable excuse for Buzz-loser still being at Wake. And if Buzz-loser is still here next April...

WellmanOUT! till he's gone.

BuzzOUT! till he's gone.

Ron hired his buddy; he's not man enough to fix it; and further, Ron's boss isn't man enough to tell his employees that crony hiring is not acceptable at Wake.

WellmanOUT! till he's gone.

BuzzOUT! till he's gone.

Be buzz-out all you want, there is plenty of credible evidence for that position, but, I thought it was accepted that there was no evidence that Ron and Buzz were 'buddies'. I don't think the crony-hiring complaints are well founded at all and people just grasped at that as an explanation for a hire that otherwise appeared bizarre.

Be buzz-out all you want, there is plenty of credible evidence for that position, but, I thought it was accepted that there was no evidence that Ron and Buzz were 'buddies'. I don't think the crony-hiring complaints are well founded at all and people just grasped at that as an explanation for a hire that otherwise appeared bizarre.

So you think that Wellman would have hired [Redacted] if he didn't know him previously. Can you explain why you think that?

So you think that Wellman would have hired [Redacted] if he didn't know him previously. Can you explain why you think that?

PhDeac - I never said that. There is a HUGE difference between knowing someone, or being acquainted with someone, and being "buddies" with someone. When people talk about cronyism and Ron hiring Buzz because they were friends, that implies much more than simply knowing him. That implies a close relationship that would lead Ron to hire Buzz because of the relationship. I have never seen any evidence that such a relationship existed between the two of them.

[That is not to say I know of another reason he would make the hire - it made no sense to me at the time]

From the wikipedia page:
Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications. Hence, cronyism is contrary in practice and principle to meritocracy.

I don't think the strength or closeness of the relationship really matters. They knew each other for a long time. It been implied that they stayed in contact at the very least because Bz' daughter attended Wake. Folks with inside information have reported that Wellman put Bz' name on the list on his own with no input from other AD staff. At the absolute least, Wellman knowing Bz for a long time gave Bz an advantage that other likely more qualified coaches did not have.

From the wikipedia page:
Cronyism is partiality to long-standing friends, especially by appointing them to positions of authority, regardless of their qualifications. Hence, cronyism is contrary in practice and principle to meritocracy.

I don't think the strength or closeness of the relationship really matters. They knew each other for a long time. It been implied that they stayed in contact at the very least because Bz' daughter attended Wake. Folks with inside information have reported that Wellman put Bz' name on the list on his own with no input from other AD staff. At the absolute least, Wellman knowing Bz for a long time gave Bz an advantage that other likely more qualified coaches did not have.

Sorry, Ph, but I think you're way off base. Of course the strength of the relationship matters. Are you going to risk your job by hiring an unqualified associate due to your relationship with them, if your relationship is one of casual acquaintance? No, you're not.

"Implied that they stayed in contact"? Implied by whom? And what the heck does that even mean?

"Bz's daughter attended Wake" - how many years passed between when Bz and Ron were at the same school and Buzz's daughter came to wake - a couple of decades? If that was the impetus for them keeping in touch then there was a very long gap.

The only thing we know for sure is that they worked at the same school many years ago and that perhaps they 'stayed in touch' - staying in touch could mean speaking daily or weekly or it could mean they exchanged Christmas cards and spoke once a year - or anything in between.

Anyway, Ron has been in athletics for how many years? Thirty or more? He has been an AD for how many years? I don't know, but a long time... How many basketball coaches do you think he has known, and "stayed in touch" with for more than 10 years? I would bet that it is a lot - probably dozens. Networking, and 'staying in touch' is key in the world of athletics. I would think that all those other coaches had the same 'advantage' as Buzz.

Now I have to be careful to clarify that I am not defending the hire. I just don't think Ron hired Buzz because they were friends. So Ron knew Buzz and, presumably, was aware of his work through the years. You can say that Ron concluded that Buzz was a good fit for the job based on that knowledge - and that that conclusion was in error. That I would agree with. However, my point is that Ron knew and, presumably, was aware of the work of many, many other coaches through the years, due to his work in the industry - and he could have come to the same conclusion about any of them. Apparently he didn't - or he did but he couldn't hire any of them for some reason.

The problem was Ron's logic in concluding that Buzz was the right guy - not the relationship.

Jeff [Redacted] doesn't get a job offer in the ACC based on his resume if he doesn't get some help from Ron Wellman.

Ask yourself this: did anybody on these boards (or the other ones) know who Jeff [Redacted] was in 2010?

When your short list includes Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens and both reject your offer, is Jeff [Redacted] the next logical name?

Anyone who was around Wake basketball remembered how [Redacted]'s AFA team trounced us.

Anyone who was around Wake basketball remembered how [Redacted]'s AFA team trounced us.

Yeah, I remember getting killed by AFA, but my question is about [Redacted].

But did they:

1) Know that Jeff [Redacted]'s genius, rather than AFA's team, kicked our @$$
2) Know that he was coaching at CU at the time
3) Say to themselves: hey that Jeff [Redacted] would make an awesome coach at Wake
4) Agree with Wellman's decision to hire him after firing Dino

If the answer to all four of those questions is yes, then you've got a point. Otherwise, I can't see how [Redacted] got on that short list for anything other than cronyism.

Nobody thinks [Redacted] was our top choice, but people inside basketball knew who he was. That posters on this board didn't is irrelevant.

Your points are immaterial.

There is no evidence that [Redacted] and Wellman had any contact before the search.

I remembered [Redacted] from coaching the Nuggets. I could have cared less about what he did at Air Force or Colorado.

If Wellman hired Bz based on AFA beating a bad Wake team, I guess Dennis Felton and Jerry Wainwright were next on the list because the Air Force loss was the start of a 4 game losing streak of at Air Force, Georgia in the Joel, at Depaul, and at Virginia Tech. For the record, we came home and beat Gardner-Webb and Richmond then lost at USF. I iguess Robert McCullum was on Wellman's short list, too.

Everybody remembers the Air Force game. I bet very few people had any idea who coached that team.

Back