• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

The top video game franchises make more money than the top movie franchises. It makes more sense to spend money developing another Call of Duty game than it does developing a Call of Duty film franchise.

By contrast, the top comic books don't make anywhere close to as much as the top movie franchises. Most toys and board games don't do nearly as well either.

What is the opportunity cost for a game company to license out their properties to a movie studio? I can't claim to have sat in those meetings, but it seems to me the execs at say, EA, would meet with execs from say, Lionsgate, to hash out a deal. Development and marketing staff at EA would keep doing their day jobs as usual. The only real decision for EA is what to do with the checks.

Ooo Hungry Hungry Hippos would be good too

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/Weekly-Ketchup-More-ToyBased-Movies-Are-On-Their-Way/

And then, finally, there’s the toy game Hungry Hungry Hippos, where players try to make their little plastic hippos swallow marbles. Hungry Hungry Hippos will be an animated children’s movie, but even so, that still doesn’t explain why anyone thinks an 80+ minute feature film can be built up around a non-narrative toy from back in 1978.

RE: video game movies, I think Warcraft looks alright. I like Duncan Jones, so I'm sorta optimistic. Uncharted should be pretty cool. Every couple of years it seems like we hear about plans for Halo again.

I think I read somewhere that they're adapting The Last of Us, which seems sort of pointless to me, but hey, the source material is good.

What is the opportunity cost for a game company to license out their properties to a movie studio? I can't claim to have sat in those meetings, but it seems to me the execs at say, EA, would meet with execs from say, Lionsgate, to hash out a deal. Development and marketing staff at EA would keep doing their day jobs as usual. The only real decision for EA is what to do with the checks.

The real cost would be the possible damage to the brand from a crap movie. They may not want to give up control. Other than that, yeah. Cash checks.

I just wish we could get good games for film franchises.

Seems like Disney is content to just add Marvel content to Disney Infinity and do Lego games instead of putting together an Arkham-quality franchise out of the MCU.

I just wish we could get good games for film franchises.

It's a vicious cycle. Movies for video game suck and video games for movies suck. Goldeneye may be the biggest outlier in the history of all things that can be considered outliers.

nope:

Etvideogamecover.jpg

Apparently the new Ratchet & Clank game is pretty good. That is based off of the movie, which is in turn based off the original game. Not quite sure what that does to the theory.

I'm fine with Inhumans. Give me at least three Antman, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel movies.

RDJ signed up for the Spider-Man solo film. Maybe he's game for Iron Man 4. Perhaps Chris Evans isn't done after Civil War or Infinity War.

I wonder if by then Marvel might have the FF back in their control? That's the biggest piece still missing for them.

I don't see why all the actors wouldn't keep signing on with Marvel. The movies are making them all very wealthy I'd imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Plus Marvel movies have only become more respected and legit since rumors of RDJ and Evans leaving surfaced.

If Marvel were to let Evans direct one of the next Cap features, I'm sure he'd be inclined to stay.

Marvel has plenty of money and more reason to keep their stars happy. If I remember correctly, only RDJ got a huge contract among the leads. Hemsworth was far less than a million for Thor. I imagine ScarJo gets some nice coin though.

Marvel has plenty of money and more reason to keep their stars happy. If I remember correctly, only RDJ got a huge contract among the leads. Hemsworth was far less than a million for Thor. I imagine ScarJo gets some nice coin though.

Though the only reason RDJ made all that money was he bet on himself and made a % deal. He ended up making bank. Id think it kind of sets a weird negotiation between Marvel and other stars

Back