• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I594 will be challenged and found unconstitutional.

Anyone want to take odds?

Do you think all states with laws that require universal background checks will have those laws found unconstitutional?

Do you think all states with laws that require universal background checks will have those laws found unconstitutional?

If they are found unconstitutional, it will show how overtly and transparently hypocritical the Roberts Court. On one hand it states that individual states can pass laws that nullify federal laws (as was part of the ACA ruling) while at the same time states can't laws to protect their own citizens.

Even Scalia said states have the right to some gun laws. There is nothing in the Constitution that bars background checks. If they would bar background checks, it would be tantamount to ending laws that ban felons, spousal abusers and the mentally ill from buying guns.

Why is it unconstitutional, because it will inevitably result in registration of guns?

I just honestly don't understand where gun fanatics are coming from. "IF MY GUNS END UP REGISTERED THE BIG BAD GOVERNMENT WILL TAKE THEM FROM ME." Uh huh, sure. :tinfoilhat:

This is the text of the Alabama constitutional provision as rewritten by the law:

(a) Every citizen has a fundamental right to bear arms in defense of himself or herself and the state. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.
(b) No citizen shall be compelled by any international treaty or international law to take an action that prohibits, limits, or otherwise interferes with his or her fundamental right to keep and bear arms in defense of himself or herself and the state, if such treaty or law, or its adoption, violates the United States Constitution.

By the way, they also passed an amendment granting a constitutional right to hunt and fish.

Strict scrutiny? So Alabama is having voters decide the appropriate standard of judicial review on gun restrictions instead of, you know, the judiciary? I'm curious to know what percentage of Alabama voters actually understand levels of judicial scrutiny.

maybe our building codes should be a little stronger if we're willing to let people stay in hotel rooms with walls that flimsy

Just gutted. Sitting in a hotel room right now, at a soccer tourney, with my family. Was surrounded by so many today who knew Nathan. Watched a 13 yr old cry on her dad's shoulder for what seemed like hours.

A felon from Knightdale staying in a hotel in Raleigh packing a firearm. Yeah, I'm sure his intentions were positive.

That's horrible. I don't see how some don't think the cost of such easy access to guns is too much.

Just gutted. Sitting in a hotel room right now, at a soccer tourney, with my family. Was surrounded by so many today who knew Nathan. Watched a 13 yr old cry on her dad's shoulder for what seemed like hours.

A felon from Knightdale staying in a hotel in Raleigh packing a firearm. Yeah, I'm sure his intentions were positive.

I have 3 boys who play soccer, 2 of whom are party of Twin City and everyone is really shook up by this.

This nation has got to get over our love affair with guns. So much unnecessary death.

The devil's advocate in that sad terrible story is what would legislation have solved? Wasn't he not supposed to have a gun in the first place?

That being said, we have got to do better. Our kids deserve better.

10435930_977513568942875_897401574871393298_n.jpg

Back