• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

It appeared the guy at the house was a married guy having an affair with the ex-wife. The guy that got shot was trying to get his kid for court appointed custody time, the kid wasn’t at the house, wasn’t in the car (think that was another kid). Completely fucked up but like brasky said he will walk free.

Does the castle doctrine apply if it's not your house you are defending?

Of course there appears no imminent threat or danger of harm until the shooter goes and gets his gun and introduces into an obviously emotionally charged encounter. But that’s probably not illegal…yay ‘murica.

this is what I'm stuck on.

“I had to shoot this guy in order to defend myself from him grabbing my gun and shooting me instead. The gun whut I went inside to get and bring out into this highly emotionally charged argument. I didn’t want to have to shoot him but in the end I had to in order to pertect myself!”

Yay Texas…yay ‘Murica”.

“I had to shoot this guy in order to defend myself from him grabbing my gun and shooting me instead. The gun whut I went inside to get and bring out into this highly emotionally charged argument. I didn’t want to have to shoot him but in the end I had to in order to pertect myself!”

Yay Texas…yay ‘Murica”.

"LOOK AT WHAT YA'LL MADE ME DO"

everyone is remarkably chill about what happens there

part of the issue with guns being so normalized and accessible is that it's not even a spectacle when one gets brought out

it's probably part of the reason that dad bodies up the killer and isn't afraid - why nobody screams when the gun is brought out or after the shots - it's become commonplace for someone to carry a weapon or to display one as a threat attempt

however, instead of being a genuinely disturbing thing to see - something that will frighten people into retreat - it feels so commonplace as to invite these kind of masculine imma take your gun hero responses

especially with a dad who feels like he's being emasculated and dicked out of time with his kids

I dunno

The dead guy said he’d take the gun away from the shooter and kill him. Shortly thereafter the dead guy grabbed the gun barrel.

So seems like a reasonable argument for self defense.

Of course there appears no imminent threat or danger of harm until the shooter goes and gets his gun and introduces into an obviously emotionally charged encounter. But that’s probably not illegal…yay ‘murica.

That’s the point I’ve been trying to make to Les and other legal experts. It’s common sense to blame the guy who brings a gun to a daddy dick measuring contest for killing someone with that gun. But our laws are so screwed up and respect guns over human lives. “Don’t start no shit won’t be no shit” should be the law instead.

Does the castle doctrine apply if it's not your house you are defending?

Defending your side piece’s house does makes more sense than defending a random business a town or two over.

“The three men were not even arrested until May. The district attorney, Jackie Johnson, recused herself from the case because the elder McMichael had been an investigator in her office. Johnson was later indicted for her actions in the Arbery case—allegedly preventing police from arresting the three men for Arbery’s killing. Video of the aftermath obtained by The Washington Post showed that Arbery was still alive when police first arrived but that “officers did not immediately tend to him and showed little skepticism of the suspects’ accounts on the scene,” the Post reported.

….

If it sounds ridiculous to say that chasing someone down while armed is an act of self-defense, and then to claim you had to shoot the person you were chasing, because they tried to defend themselves, recall that this was precisely the conclusion the local authorities initially reached.

The jury ultimately found the defense’s arguments unpersuasive, and the evidence against the defendants overwhelming. But had it been up to the folks in charge in Glynn County, the jury never would have seen that evidence. To say the system worked in this case is like saying your car made it home—after your entire family had to get out and push it miles down a dirt road.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/11/ahmaud-arbery-verdict-guilty/620817/

We got lucky this time. If there’s no video next time racist assholes kill a black boy or black man, you can bet Junebug, jhmd, and their other allies will fight for their right to kill.

Are you really awake and posting at 3:19 a.m. on a holiday arguing about an argument people might make in the future (but haven't)?

that's the most fascinating part of the whole thing imo

displacing all of his deadly choices onto anyone else around

Good lord, everything about that video is fascinating, and terribly disturbing. No one even makes a move toward the guy after he gets shot - like to see if he is really dead or maybe some first aid could be rendered to try and save him? No one even seems to react as the shots are fired - like, Holy Shit, he just shot the guy! Nothing. Like they have been through it a hundred times before - ho hum, here we go again... Jason shot another dude...

When he actually fired the shots he had moved away from the guy without resistance and the guy was not advancing on him or anything. He wasn't trying to enter the residence, he hadn't threatened anyone else. I think the self defense argument is questionable...

Questionable by reasonable people but not the laws of Texas. He may not even get arrested. Who is going to rally for the victim in Lubbock? Who is going to put pressure on law enforcement? What preachers and community leaders will stand up for him? Would the widow even want Moms Demand Action marching on her behalf? All of this looked all too common and just natural.

Last edited:
Honest question - How does Castle Doctrine apply to someone preventing you from retrieving your own child? Seems dubious that this murderer had the right to refuse the father entry.

Honest question - How does Castle Doctrine apply to someone preventing you from retrieving your own child? Seems dubious that this murderer had the right to refuse the father entry.

Good point. It’s possible the dad still owns the house.

The father has no right to enter the exes home without invite, whether his kid is in there or not. If your ex won't surrender the kid as agreed to, you call the sherriff.

The father has no right to enter the exes home without invite, whether his kid is in there or not. If your ex won't surrender the kid as agreed to, you call the sherriff.

Well if your ex won’t step away from the house, you call the sheriff too.

Important note: Calling the sheriff may also result in a dead body.

I can't watch it again but after the initial interaction with the gun "go ahead and I'll take it from you..." it looks/sounds like he pushed the barrel down and the guy fired a shot at his feet before backing up and shooting because he felt emasculated.

If that woman was having and affair, keeping her son from court ordered time, and now the kid loses his dad? Fuck. That kid is in for a lifetime of pain and anger towards a lot of family members. Hope he truly gets the help he will need. Though, it's texas and 'murica so I have my doubts.

Good lord, everything about that video is fascinating, and terribly disturbing. No one even makes a move toward the guy after he gets shot - like to see if he is really dead or maybe some first aid could be rendered to try and save him? No one even seems to react as the shots are fired - like, Holy Shit, he just shot the guy! Nothing. Like they have been through it a hundred times before - ho hum, here we go again... Jason shot another dude...

When he actually fired the shots he had moved away from the guy without resistance and the guy was not advancing on him or anything. He wasn't trying to enter the residence, he hadn't threatened anyone else. I think the self defense argument is questionable...

Yeah that shit looked like a movie. Dude wasn’t moving at all. People just ho hum.

Amazing that this is the lifestyle some people seek out and choose.

And that must be some awesome pussy to kill a dude over. Nice job lady

Just to be clear - he was threatening to work within the bounds of the law when the killer came back out with his weapon and escalated the situation.

Just to be clear - he was threatening to work within the bounds of the law when the killer came back out with his weapon and escalated the situation.

100% agree; if the Dad was armed and smacked the dude I might feel a bit differently. But even then, the move was to call 911 and law enforcement to deescalate the situation.

Back