• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Sitting in a bball fundamental skills class watching the 6yo. A woman comes in and tells the coach she is declining to have him work on "that stuff. He just wants to shoot." The coach politely declined to allow that. To the kids credit he pulled away from her to go join the rest of the class.

Swaggy P in training.

Boy has been in pre-K etc almost his whole
Life and is a social good fella. Even knows the Spanish. More than a few of the stay at home with mom kids are donks

So, like, my kids are going to want to start to post to social media soon. I'm firmly in the "don't create content on the internet until you can at least partially appreciate that it will be on there forever."

Anyone else dealing with this?

So, like, my kids are going to want to start to post to social media soon. I'm firmly in the "don't create content on the internet until you can at least partially appreciate that it will be on there forever."

Anyone else dealing with this?

My wife is “ruining my son’s life,” by not letting him have a YouTube account.

So in the feeling bad for myself category.

Oldest is 13 year old male, outside of a broken bone or two no issues beyond the norm. Came back from NC for Thanksgiving and he as been sick as a dog. 3 trips to ER, multiple trips to pediatrician, peds neurosurgeon for consult 2x. Each step forward uncovers something else. Peds questions why neuro did or didn't do x.. Wife doesn't have FMLA coverage yet, so I may be taking the time if we can't figure out what's going on. Worried about him repeating a grade. Me taking the time from work. Deductibles resetting with the new year.

I go home early yesterday and he is curled on the recliner, no lights, no TV. His eyes tearing up because he hurts.

Frustration is looking in the crying eyes of your teenager not knowing how to make him better, not really knowing any magic next step, and realizing the stuff I was stressing about wasn't helping him at all.

End feeling bad for myself post.

So sorry to hear of the stresses for all - hope they find some answers and paths for progress soon.

I'm so sorry; nothing in this world like watching your child in pain with no way to help.

My 8 month old has had a sleep regression and it's been pretty tough the last few weeks. From probably around 3 months to 6 months baby slept pretty well through the night; would go down between 7-7:30, and sleep all the way until 5-5:30 with minimal wakeups during the night. Now there are usually multiple cries with varying degrees of being awake (so ranging from just letting baby fuss for a few minutes and doing nothing to getting baby up and feeding/rocking for 30-45 minutes) and the full wakeup time is somewhere in the 4 am neighborhood. Baby is still sleeping in the crib in our bedroom. We're trying to follow the general advice from various books/sites about sleeping, but I guess now we are coming to the point where we'll have to make some decisions regarding the sleep training (cry-it-out vs. immediate attention) after being spoiled for several months. Anything anyone tried that worked in similar circumstances? Or maybe just tell me someday I'll get to sleep a full night again?

Man I have blacked so much of that period out of my memory. I will say that someday you will again sleep a full night uninterrupted.

while i'm sure it's not true, i feel like I have almost no impact on how or what my child does when it comes to certain things, like sleeping all night or staying in her bed or whatever. It feels like she just does things or does not do them and we have to just fucking deal with it and feel fortunate that she decided to end her "mom or dad needs to lay with me until i fall asleep" phase that lasted 4 weeks

For a 0-6 month old, I highly recommend the Snoo bassinet. Ask for nothing else on your registry if necessary.

My 8 month old has had a sleep regression and it's been pretty tough the last few weeks. From probably around 3 months to 6 months baby slept pretty well through the night; would go down between 7-7:30, and sleep all the way until 5-5:30 with minimal wakeups during the night. Now there are usually multiple cries with varying degrees of being awake (so ranging from just letting baby fuss for a few minutes and doing nothing to getting baby up and feeding/rocking for 30-45 minutes) and the full wakeup time is somewhere in the 4 am neighborhood. Baby is still sleeping in the crib in our bedroom. We're trying to follow the general advice from various books/sites about sleeping, but I guess now we are coming to the point where we'll have to make some decisions regarding the sleep training (cry-it-out vs. immediate attention) after being spoiled for several months. Anything anyone tried that worked in similar circumstances? Or maybe just tell me someday I'll get to sleep a full night again?

Teething? Also moving our guy out was instantaneously better for sleeping. Finally, feberizing is the real deal.

I'm no sleep expert, but I've got two kids who were definitely sleeping through the night by that point, and the bolded would seem to be your problem to me. He is eating solid foods, right? He should be sleeping relatively fine - put him in his room, close the door, and go to sleep. [Drago]If he cries, he cries.[/Drago] He'll figure it out.

Thanks. I think various authorities and our pediatricians are recommending keeping the baby in our room for a year, but at this rate we might advance that timeline to now

while i'm sure it's not true, i feel like I have almost no impact on how or what my child does when it comes to certain things, like sleeping all night or staying in her bed or whatever. It feels like she just does things or does not do them and we have to just fucking deal with it and feel fortunate that she decided to end her "mom or dad needs to lay with me until i fall asleep" phase that lasted 4 weeks

Yep.

Thanks. I think various authorities and our pediatricians are recommending keeping the baby in our room for a year, but at this rate we might advance that timeline to now

Well I’ve been getting a good 11 hours a day of sleep on the weekends for the past 8 months, so just think of it like between the two former roommates we are averaging a solid 8 hours of sleep per night.

I don’t think we made it much past 6 months in the room for either of mine. Once they were rolling well I felt better about it, plus they never slept on their backs anyway.

Back