• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Rub Vicks Vaporub on their feet and chest. Also Vicks sells these tabs that fit into most humidifiers that seems to help.

Depending on age you shouldn't use Vicks but rather baby Vicks (I think up to 2) and put socks on over the Vicks, that helps

Depending on age you shouldn't use Vicks but rather baby Vicks (I think up to 2) and put socks on over the Vicks, that helps

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSS

yup. i know my parents used to rub me down in that shit when i was sick. esp under the nose.

I need some advice on sleeping arrangements while traveling.

We've gotten the baby to sleep in a bassinet at night and he naps in the Rock n Play during the day. In 2 weeks we're traveling to MD and PA for a week and I'm trying to figure out what to bring for him to sleep in. The easiest thing would be bringing the rock n play because it is super portable and the bassinet isn't portable at all. However, I'm worried that a week of sleeping on an incline in the rock n play will make it hard to transition back to a flat surface. The other option is bringing a pack n play with a bassinet addition but hat takes up some more room and is definitely more bulky. Is 6 weeks too young to be "spoiled" by a week of sleeping on an incline or should we do the pack n play and not risk it?

Also any advice about long car rides with a 6 week old would be appreciated!

We had a similar trip when our daughter was about the same age. We used the Pack n Play with bassinet and it worked fine for us. It was a bit of a pain to haul around, but less of a pain than listening to my wife second-guess herself about bringing something else that might not have worked as well.

We just did a normal pack and play when we've done those trips. Can't complain.

As for tips, pray that the baby is comfortable and just wants to sleep. There's not really much you can do, except trying to make things as comfortable as possible for the kid. Our rule was if the baby was sleeping, keep going until the baby woke up or needed awakened (>4 hours between eating) and when the baby was awake, taking that time to do anything we would possibly need to do in the next 3 hours.

If you have portable white noise, put it in/near the carseat

We did the Rock N Play for night time sleep til 3 months, so we just took that when we traveled. But I think the PnP with the bassinet might be the best option, even if it is a little bulkier to pack.

Thanks guys- sounds like pnp is the safest bet. I think I'm just going to pack everything he owns. That's not overkill, is it?

Thanks guys- sounds like pnp is the safest bet. I think I'm just going to pack everything he owns. That's not overkill, is it?

Nope. I think everyone with an infant has done the same. I think we packed everything she'd ever possibly use, plus way too many clothes (despite the fact we had a washer and dryer) when we went on our first trip.

It's amazing how much less we pack for two boys, 2 and 5, than we packed when my oldest was an infant.

I don't know what qualifies as a lot of clothes for an infant but I may just bring all of it. Seems easier than having to choose stuff.

This is how my wife packs her things for any trip. Luggage ratio of 5:1. Stop the madness.

Haha well I AM an overpacker as well but all of the clothes (that are his current size) that he owns would fit in a tote bag or backpack so no biggie.

Friend or a friend had twins (boy/girl):

Thatcher Bay

Bracken Ridge.

These have to be the worst fucking names ever. Although I also heard of a London and Paris girl/girl twins.

Back