• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I hope they at least talked with his teacher about it first. The teacher has a lot to do with how it would go over.

I can't say much because both the boys have "last names" but in doubt that trend is going anywhere.

Meanwhile there are 3 Madelines (all spelled differently) in S's class of 12.

Ha, 3 in my son's class of 15 too. To help against the confusion, they made one of them be Madeleine, and the others are Maddie Jo or Maddie Rose or some shit. There's also a Madison. 4/15 of the kids are Mad****

So...A friend of mine's sister sent her son to first day of kindergaten in a skirt. He apprently likes girls clothes more than boys. Ok or not ok???

Was it plaid? Because then you could just say it was a kilt and call it a day. Otherwise, probably not the best idea depending on where they live.

Dirty, just don't buy the kid a sewing machine for his birthday. Your friend's sister may take offense.

Dirty, just don't buy the kid a sewing machine for his birthday. Your friend's sister may take offense.

And definitely don't show him how fabulous swastikas are.

Re: kids clothes.

I just had this conversation this weekend - If the kid's comfortable in it, go for it. If it's truly a phase he might eventually decide on his own not to wear them anymore (especially if kids are bullying). If it's not a phase and there are other things going on, I think I'd rather be accepting from the get-go and move on with it from there.
I feel like this is pretty common in PDX - we've got all kinds of little hippie kids running around here in some interesting get-ups that they undoubtedly picked out themselves. I like this... not as much of a fan of the whole "genderless" thing where parents avoid assigning any sort of gender identity to their kid for fear of upsetting their potential/developing personhood. That's a little too far.

b7c74b1e1c45717256cf8e718b8e4dfc.jpg

This is how you dress a kid.

The great prophet spake,
"How many parents?"

The great ginger rake:
"No parents".

The newest little Deacon and pit member has arrived! Brenna Noel was born at 11:10pm on Labor Day. Hope everyone approves of the name ha!

She is doing great really the only struggle is the last two nights she is cluster feeding from about 11 til 4 in the morning. Ay yi yi. Apparently its normal and shouldn't last long I hope!

The newest little Deacon and pit member has arrived! Brenna Noel was born at 11:10pm on Labor Day. Hope everyone approves of the name ha!

She is doing great really the only struggle is the last two nights she is cluster feeding from about 11 til 4 in the morning. Ay yi yi. Apparently its normal and shouldn't last long I hope!

congratulations!! cute name :)

Congrats!

Cluster feeding can feel so exhausting but like everything with little ones (good or bad) it's just a phase.

Yay she's here! Congratulations!! 11:10pm is a good time for birthing =p

Leebs, my wife and I bought a couple used bikes today so we can take our rat stinks on rides this fall. Thought you would appreciate this.

So, my wife and I have started reading Encyclopedia Brown with my 7 year old daughter before bed. We alternate reading nights, and I came downstairs after her bedtime to give the report to my wife. I told her that I was impressed as she had figured out how the robber had hid the money, though she couldn't figure out what tipped Encyclopedia off. I asked how she had been doing when my wife was reading with her, and she said that last night it was really tough and neither of them knew. It was something about a civil war sword being fake... I then interrupted with "Oh, the one with the 'first battle of Bull Run' and how they wouldn't have actually put 'first' on it." My wife silently gave me that look for a minute and asked when the last time I had read Encyclopedia Brown was. I told her I thought I read it the first time when I was 7, but most recently around 10, probably. She then said, "So, you are telling me that there is a part of your brain that has kept the answer to an Encyclopedia Brown story for 26 years for you to instantly bring up as needed?" I said, "Yeah. Impressed?" She shook her head and went back to checking her e-mail.

Back