• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We pay like 1400/mo for daycare. It's ridic.

We're down to that with my oldest going to after school care instead of VPK. We used the difference between VPK and after school to buy a new car and we still came out saving about $200 a month.

I kind of want to just be a nanny and start a nannyshare. The cost of daycare + thinking about leaving squirrel at daycare makes me want to vomit on myself.

My best friend growing up (still good family friend) was because his mom babysat me and him and 2-3 otter kids.

Do it! Be the nanny!

But on the flip side, work and do you and have relationships that aren't about the
Kid.

Balance

We pay like 1400/mo for daycare. It's ridic.

Jesus . I was just talking the other day with someone how kids really aren't nearly as expensive as we were led to believe. But neither of our kids are in daycare, so I guess we 're out of touch.

Is that cost because of a gaggle of kids, location, or is that *shudders* normal?

2 kids (1 and 4), mid-level center, Greensboro.

We pay about $1300 per month for both kiddos. That is bonkers. When we have to choose about sending E to school at 5 vs. 6, I am not entirely convinced it won't be a financial decision rather than academic.

Awar, if you take birdie, Rambo, e and s plus the squirrel you could be making bank ;)

We pay about $1300 per month for both kiddos. That is bonkers. When we have to choose about sending E to school at 5 vs. 6, I am not entirely convinced it won't be a financial decision rather than academic.

I thought it was based on when his birthday is, and with E being a summertime baby he will likely be going right after his 5th birthday. Or are you concerned he might not be ready at that time?

We've easily spent 6 figures at First Baptist Children's Center in WS over the last decade.

My 5 year old is a summertime baby. I would have considered holding him back if day care wasn't so expensive and if he wasn't at the size of an older kid.

Our day care is more expensive than in-state tuition at every university in Florida. And that's just during the Fall and Spring semester.

Last edited:
I thought it was based on when his birthday is, and with E being a summertime baby he will likely be going right after his 5th birthday. Or are you concerned he might not be ready at that time?

We've easily spent 6 figures at First Baptist Children's Center in WS over the last decade.

We can decide to wait until the summer of his 6th birthday for kindergarten based on him being a summer baby. I am not really concerned about him not being ready academically). If anything the only concern we might have is his size (in middle/high school) but I don't know that waiting a year will make any difference to that end. But ultimately it may sound cheap but if the choice is 1 more year of daycare vs a year of after school care, he may just be short.

My 5 year old is a summertime baby. I would have considered holding him back if day care wasn't so expensive and if he wasn't at the size of an older kid.

Yep. This. Except E is not giant like littlest LK and PhDeacKid.

Yep. But man, he could be dominant at sports if we held him back. He's already one of the youngest and biggest kids in his class.

He'd rather play with Legos than play sports at this point.

Exactly. We will see how Little Russell Wilson does.

We can decide to wait until the summer of his 6th birthday for kindergarten based on him being a summer baby. I am not really concerned about him not being ready academically). If anything the only concern we might have is his size (in middle/high school) but I don't know that waiting a year will make any difference to that end. But ultimately it may sound cheap but if the choice is 1 more year of daycare vs a year of after school care, he may just be short.

It's obviously early for me to be thinking about this but that's exactly how I feel. Cheap on!

Yeah, so DC daycare is bonkers. We are around $1200 a month (before paying the nanny's SS and Medicare) and that lowish for around here. Talking to a mom to be the other day looking at daycares downtown and ball parking $1700 a month.

All this for one kid.

DC also has preK-3 in the public and charter schools that almost everyone sends their kids to. On one hand seems so young to go to school. On the other...free!

Wow, I know how much we pay for daycare for 1, but never actually thought about what the cost would be for a second one in day care. That might just be the best birth control ever. #gladI'mnotCatholic.

Back