• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Car seat came in the mail yesterday and blocked off my paternity leave with work today. Delivery set for 11-11.

Shit is gettin real now.

Here's a thing I've never thought about: is there a nursing room in the stadium? Where do peeps do that?

Whip that baby out in the stands. We won't judge.

Here's a thing I've never thought about: is there a nursing room in the stadium? Where do peeps do that?

what, you mean you don't want to do that in the stadium bathroom?
i wonder if you went up to the tower they'd let you in somewhere swanky...

I don't think there is, but I don't remember for sure. Just throw a blanket over his face, and let him moterboat til his heart is content. We are talking about HTTD here, right?

Yeah, so DC daycare is bonkers. We are around $1200 a month (before paying the nanny's SS and Medicare) and that lowish for around here. Talking to a mom to be the other day looking at daycares downtown and ball parking $1700 a month.

All this for one kid.

DC also has preK-3 in the public and charter schools that almost everyone sends their kids to. On one hand seems so young to go to school. On the other...free!

Yeah we priced out daycare in the area. With the close to 2k/mo quotes + my wife just wanting to stay at home as much as possible + retired grandmother who wants to spend time with her grandaughter as much as possible and can come twice a week = no brainer to skip daycare.

Our 10 month old is teething and just goes nuts at least twice during the middle of the night. We're used to it since she has more energy than any baby anyone has ever seen (the kid just doesn't nap or sleep), but usually we'd get her back down after covering her up. Now she screams for 15-30 minutes each time. The little teething tablets help, but not 100%. I'm all for giving her rum at this point like my parents did!

I don't have kids (as everyone knows) but I can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't want to continue working once I had kids. I definitely want kids but I could NOT just sit at home with them. I would be bored as hell.

So, my wife and I have started reading Encyclopedia Brown with my 7 year old daughter before bed. We alternate reading nights, and I came downstairs after her bedtime to give the report to my wife. I told her that I was impressed as she had figured out how the robber had hid the money, though she couldn't figure out what tipped Encyclopedia off. I asked how she had been doing when my wife was reading with her, and she said that last night it was really tough and neither of them knew. It was something about a civil war sword being fake... I then interrupted with "Oh, the one with the 'first battle of Bull Run' and how they wouldn't have actually put 'first' on it." My wife silently gave me that look for a minute and asked when the last time I had read Encyclopedia Brown was. I told her I thought I read it the first time when I was 7, but most recently around 10, probably. She then said, "So, you are telling me that there is a part of your brain that has kept the answer to an Encyclopedia Brown story for 26 years for you to instantly bring up as needed?" I said, "Yeah. Impressed?" She shook her head and went back to checking her e-mail.

I still remember this story too. I'm like 12 though so it isn't that long since I've been 7/

I mean, it's fine to let your kid be themselves, but you also have to realize that the world isn't going to be as understanding.

ETA- So is it better to a) be "normal" if that means not being true to yourself or b) be "yourself" at the cost of being bullied? Wish it were different, but those seem to be the choices.

Depends on where it is. Kid will likely be made fun of no matter what, but if he's down for it then I'm all about not forcing compliance with gender norms. Would I do this in North Carolina? Not a chance in hell. I wouldn't want my kid wearing a skirt in the south or midwest anywhere. Not because of the kid, but because of the society around the kid

I don't have kids (as everyone knows) but I can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't want to continue working once I had kids. I definitely want kids but I could NOT just sit at home with them. I would be bored as hell.

I thought the same thing. I was working about 65 hours/week, didn't hate my job, and knew I'd be bored if I had to deal with a kid or two all day. And when I decided to quit my job and stay home (because we were seeing the kid about 7 hours/week of awake time, on average), I was expecting to pull my hair out. And when my oldest was younger, that was kinda true. But now that my boys are older and more independent and we know folks in the same situation, it's a pretty sweet gig.

It's still not for everyone, but I enjoy it quite a bit these days, especially because NAPS.

ETA: After re-reading your post though, sitting at home all day would BLOW. Staying active with your kids and bringing them different places at times when it's not busy is key. I'd blow my brains out if I didn't go anywhere with my boys for more than 48 hours, but being able to go fishing with them at 10 am on a Wednesday is pretty clutch.

Car seat came in the mail yesterday and blocked off my paternity leave with work today. Delivery set for 11-11.

Shit is gettin real now.

We were moved from 11/11 to 11/12. I'm pretty sure the girls will be here in October though.

My wife did it at her seat. You don't eat in a special room, why should he?

Also, we won't judge.

Awar, I went through the same questions. I was going to say defer to Chic.

I was told either stands or first aid stations.

When we went last year we did car, tailgate tent, then car again (game got rainy at halftime so we bailed!).

Good luck! I say just do it! Judgers be damned!

We have a nanny for our 2 kids who we share with another family and their 1 kid (so 3 kids total). The ball-breaker is the tax we have to pay as "household employers."

Back