• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

my daughter (turns 5 saturday) had her first day of kindergarten today. first time on the bus as well. the last few weeks have been really tough with her acting out *(fear/nervous about it). i went in her room to wake her up and she said she did not want to be late and everything we smoothly. the temper tantrum from yesterdays practice run was gone and she did great.

i was a little sad. my wife had a tough time of it. and our 2 year old said "mommy cry?" several times before she composed herself to respond with "yes, mommy is a little sad." she got a great big hug.

Twins I know born last week - boy and girl - Hayes and Kemper. I don't think I've heard Kemper before.

I've heard/seen Kemper a bunch of times. It makes me think of the super-shitty Kemper Arena in Kansas City. So nice job, parents!

The last names-as-first names trend has got to stop soon, right?

Friend or a friend had twins (boy/girl):

Thatcher Bay

Bracken Ridge.

These have to be the worst fucking names ever. Although I also heard of a London and Paris girl/girl twins.

I'd wind up tripping all over those names. They'd be Thacken and Bracker half the time. Picture one of them about to stick a fork in the electric socket. No way could I spit those names out in time to stop them. THOSE DAMN NAMES ARE GONNA KILL THOSE POOR KIDS.

There's plenty of research out there that shows people with black or Hispanic names are discriminated against by employers. I'm real curious to see what happens to people with Thatcher and Bracken when they go up for jobs in 15-20 years.

I've heard/seen Kemper a bunch of times. It makes me think of the super-shitty Kemper Arena in Kansas City. So nice job, parents!

The last names-as-first names trend has got to stop soon, right?

I can't say much because both the boys have "last names" but in doubt that trend is going anywhere.

Meanwhile there are 3 Madelines (all spelled differently) in S's class of 12.

So...A friend of mine's sister sent her son to first day of kindergaten in a skirt. He apprently likes girls clothes more than boys. Ok or not ok???

I can't say much because both the boys have "last names" but in doubt that trend is going anywhere.

Meanwhile there are 3 Madelines (all spelled differently) in S's class of 12.

Interesting. That was definitely a top girl name possibility for me.

So...A friend of mine's sister sent her son to first day of kindergaten in a skirt. He apprently likes girls clothes more than boys. Ok or not ok???

Do the school uniform rules allow it?

There's plenty of research out there that shows people with black or Hispanic names are discriminated against by employers. I'm real curious to see what happens to people with Thatcher and Bracken when they go up for jobs in 15-20 years.

Why wouldn't you want King'Kong'Quisha working for you?

How do you know Thatcher and Bracken aren't black or hispanic?

I mean, it's fine to let your kid be themselves, but you also have to realize that the world isn't going to be as understanding.

ETA- So is it better to a) be "normal" if that means not being true to yourself or b) be "yourself" at the cost of being bullied? Wish it were different, but those seem to be the choices.

Back