• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

i rarely wash, fold, or put away the 80s style windbreaker sweatsuits i put on when i get home from work, so it's really not that much extra effort to be comfortable

WaB - what about on a weekend? maybe when you were a single dude living alone, and if you got up and just intended to well, wake, and bake, and maybe watch football all day. Would you put on a golf shirt and khakis to start the day if you didn't have plans to leave the house?

Geez, do your kids address you as "Father?" Is your name really Wakefield Anderson Baker III?

I just laughed out loud a little in a meeting at this. :D

Don't you have a shit load more laundry and more time in your room folding and hanging clothes? For how much more comfort? If the net comfort gain is that much, why are you wearing such uncomfortable clothing to work? Aren't you a teacher? Are you wearing jeans/pants that are so tight you can't sit around in them? If so, why? Are you showing your package off? What if you plans change and you decide to go out - you are back up there changing again. What if you need more beer at 9 when the kids are down? You are back up there changing again. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I could see for women who wear tight-fitting clothing, but golf shirts and khakis are pretty comfy, no?

Again, suits and workout clothes are the exception.

Edit: Wakefield Anderson Baker is a fucking sweet name. I should change my board name to that.

WaB - what about on a weekend? maybe when you were a single dude living alone, and if you got up and just intended to well, wake, and bake, and maybe watch football all day. Would you put on a golf shirt and khakis to start the day if you didn't have plans to leave the house?

WaB posted a good unpopular opinion apparently. Personally, this time of year, I would still shower and throw on a sweatshirt and jeans or cords. Every bit as comfortable for me as sleep pants, etc. plus if you do answer the door, have to go run an errand, you don't look like you have the flu or just woke up.

Aren't you a teacher? Are you wearing jeans/pants that are so tight you can't sit around in them? If so, why? Are you showing your package off?

Edit: Wakefield Anderson Baker is a fucking sweet name. I should change my board name to that.

If Ph didn't live in Tampa, I would definitely imagine him rocking a tweed blazer with suede elbow patches to work. Wakefield Anderson Baker III is awesome.

On weekends I put on jeans and a tshirt and sneakers. Then if I decide to go do something I simply walk out the door. I'm not up there changing again....

I am less comfortable in house clothes knowing that if someone comes by or I want to go do something im not dressed.

I understand I am an outlier.

I just laughed out loud a little in a meeting at this. :D

Don't you have a shit load more laundry and more time in your room folding and hanging clothes? For how much more comfort? If the net comfort gain is that much, why are you wearing such uncomfortable clothing to work? Aren't you a teacher? Are you wearing jeans/pants that are so tight you can't sit around in them? If so, why? Are you showing your package off? What if you plans change and you decide to go out - you are back up there changing again. What if you need more beer at 9 when the kids are down? You are back up there changing again. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I could see for women who wear tight-fitting clothing, but golf shirts and khakis are pretty comfy, no?

I guess, but not as comfy as jeans and a t shirt

Since my "house clothes" don't leave the house, I wear the same ones for one whole one laundry cycle, so if it is adding any clothes it's one t-shirt and one pair of sweats. :noidea: I do fold them and put them on a shelf in the closet, but that's barely noticed on the time-spent-folding scale. I'm just not going to sprawl on the couch with a cat on my lap (#catlady) in dry-clean only pants.

i don't know; my process is: jeans/t shirt if i have anything to do that night and sweatpants/sleep pants/shorts if i'm just making us dinner and hanging out for the rest of the night.

i'm married w/out kids, so maybe things change when you have kids :noidea:

Since my "house clothes" don't leave the house, I wear the same ones for one whole one laundry cycle, so if it is adding any clothes it's one t-shirt and one pair of sweats. :noidea: I do fold them and put them on a shelf in the closet, but that's barely noticed on the time-spent-folding scale. I'm just not going to sprawl on the couch with a cat on my lap (#catlady) in dry-clean only pants.

Fair enough.

Question for all. Is this learned behavior? Did your folks train you this way and did they change like this several times a day?

Also, if I wear a suit for a work thing or whatever, I will generally always wear it out to dinner or drinks with wife if we go out that night even if the restaurant or bar is casual. Why not? It looks nice, I went to the trouble to put it on, the shirt has been worn all day and I will pay to have it pressed anyway, so it makes sense. I might lose the tie or loosen it though.

I wore a school uniform for grades 3-12. I definitely got out of the one jumper I wore all week for all of grades 3-5, the one skirt I wore all week for grades 6-8. I had at least 4 skirts and a number of shirts in high school so while I didn't have to wear the same one all week, I still didn't want to wrinkle up all my pleats by lounging in a kilt all evening. So it was sweatpants/track pants/pajamas at home. Only wore jeans for going out. All that probably was what created the habit for me. My dad also changed out of his work clothes (shirt and tie) when getting home from the office.

Fair enough.

Question for all. Is this learned behavior? Did your folks train you this way and did they change like this several times a day?

Also, if I wear a suit for a work thing or whatever, I will generally always wear it out to dinner or drinks with wife if we go out that night even if the restaurant or bar is casual. Why not? It looks nice, I went to the trouble to put it on, the shirt has been worn all day and I will pay to have it pressed anyway, so it makes sense. I might lose the tie or loosen it though.

I don't think someone who sends his shirts out to be pressed should be complaining about folding clothes.

dude you iron your own dress shirts?

edit: I meant folding the house clothes and the golf shirts and everyday buttondowns

Last edited:

This without the cat. I wear my house clothes until I work out in them.

I think you should all try it. When you get home from work, just leave your clothes on. Go about your entire routine: feeding the kids/homework, making dinner for yourself, having some beers, walking the dog - whatever - int he same clothes you worked in (excepting for suits or pretty much all women's clothing). Wear the shoes too. See what you think about your comfort. Were you really uncomfortable, or has this whole comfort-seeking thing you have been doing with your clothing been a fucking lie? Do you really need loose plush cotton draped over you to be comfortable? Use the extra minutes you now have in your life to pursue that hobby or dream you never pursued because you were confused about the proper attire for model airplane building or gerbil stuffing. And if your neighbors should ring your door or the police serve you a warrant, enjoy your preparation.

Back