• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

Ok just checking cause posters keep claiming icy conditions not present which doesn't seem to be why schools were delayed, not sure what it has to do with the discussion on the cold as a factor and whether a delay does anything to improve the situation.

There were several people using the risk of ice as a defense to the delay earlier in the thread.

There were several people using the risk of ice as a defense to the delay earlier in the thread.

I just like arguing with jhmd. I know ice wasn't the reason they were calling it.

There are some good reasons already on the thread about heating buildings, but you aren't buying any of the bus justifications or that standing in the dark when it is 7 degrees is worse than standing in the sun when it is 11 degrees, so you probably won't buy any reason that has been given.

The buses were on the road this morning well before the sun was up. I passed a few of them and multiple kids standing on the corner waiting this morning while I was walking up to my own bus stop. The 2 hour delay didn't change anything as far as keeping the kids warm.

the tough and cool crowd should use this as an opportunity to give their kids a leg up on the pussification crowd. sending 'em out there in the cold to help the less fortunate would probably be better for them than a day of school.

The buses were on the road this morning well before the sun was up. I passed a few of them and multiple kids standing on the corner waiting this morning while I was walking up to my own bus stop. The 2 hour delay didn't change anything as far as keeping the kids warm.

I still want to know who the slackers are that you know that strolled into work around 11:30. I am guessing the 2 hour delay helped keep their kids warmer at the bus stop.

The reasons school districts are using are 4 pronged.
1) Extra time to repair/start buses.
2) Extra time to heat the handful of buildings that need it.
3) Don't want kidlets freezing out at the bus stop.
4) Don't want to get sued when some inappropriately dressed child gets frostbite, because he was waiting 60 minutes for a bus whose route was delayed because they couldn't get the bus started at 5:30am.

It's fine if you don't want to buy any of those reasons, but it's difficult to find much fault with the school district erring on the cautious side, particularly when dealing with an uncertain weather forecast.

I still want to know who the slackers are that you know that strolled into work around 11:30. I am guessing the 2 hour delay helped keep their kids warmer at the bus stop.

In the case of the guy who sits beside me, his kids don't ride the bus. They get a ride into school from a grandparent on a typical morning. That didn't work out this morning because of the delay. What would normally be a 9:15 start time became an 11:15 start time and then he still had to drive in from South Charlotte.

Here's the quote from Mecklenburg County officials:

Associate Superintendent Dr. Guy Chamberlain said "with those temperatures it's unlikely buses will start immediately so we anticipate two hours to get all buses on the road."

"Our students' safety is our top priority," said Superintendent Heath Morrison. "We do not want students waiting at bus stops in near-zero temperatures."

The bus issue could be solved by bringing in a few employees earlier. Seems to make WAY more sense to bring a minimal amount of mechanics in early than to screw up the schedules for every kid in the county and all of their parents.

The near-zero temperature issue doesn't really work either...the difference between standing outside at 6 AM and 8 AM was minimal, at best.

D
a
t
e
Time
(est)
Wind
(mph)
Vis.
(mi.)
WeatherSky Cond.Air
0708:52NW 610.00FairCLR12
0707:52Calm10.00FairCLR8
0706:52N 310.00FairCLR7
0705:52NW 510.00FairCLR8

I'm fine with being cautious. The decision should have been whether to close or not. A delay wasn't cautious. It didn't keep any kids out of the cold and it wasn't a requirement for making sure the buses would start (the buses don't care whether it's 6 AM or 8 AM...it's still 8 degrees outside). It was just a pain in the ass.

Racer, where do you get those charts? Those are very cool.

Mecklenburg on a 2 hour delay again tomorrow. Same explanation about kids outside in near 0 temps and buses not starting, neither of which a 2 hour delay solves. Facepalm

Was hoping to grab some drinks with some co-workers in town from SF tomorrow night, but after 2 straight days home with all three kids two days worth of part-time work to make up, I'm not sure I can do that to my wife. Damn you CMS!!!

Last edited:
Mecklenburg on a 2 hour delay again tomorrow. Same explanation about kids outside in near 0 temps and buses not starting, neither of which a 2 hour delay solves. Facepalm

Was hoping to grab some drinks with some co-workers in town from SF tomorrow night, but after 2 straight days home with all three kids two days worth of part-time work to make up, I'm not sure I can do that to my wife. Damn you CMS!!!

WTF? This is absurd. Fucking pansies.

WTF? This is absurd. Fucking pansies.

I don't know whether they are pansies, but I do know that they lack common sense and basic reasoning skills. If the goal is to keep kids out of the cold, a 2 hour delay is not a viable solution.

How many parents with hourly jobs will lose 2-4+ hours of pay this week without anything accomplished with regards to child safety?

It's just a government conspiracy to taunt you.

I wish it were that simple or admirable. I could respect that. Unfortunately, it is just further evidence of the lack of anyone with a brain at any level of government.

Back