• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 3 Choices

It is amazing to me the number of posters who think coaches make decisions to avoid challenges and increased competition.

I want Shaka but I see no plausible way that we get him. If you're him, you are winning now and show no signs that you will stop winning any time soon. He can build an empire at VCU. If he comes here, he will likely become forgotten as he rebuilds for 2-3 years with the hopes of making it back to the tournament every year. However, the pressure here is higher than VCU given that our fanbase has had considerable success and we are surrounded by the elite. Again, I'd go Roy McAvoy after he dunked in his 12th shot if we got him, but I fear that our hopes of getting him are nearly that long.

The more likely hire, IMO, remains Howland. The Marquette job being open sucks but we have the money, the tradition and the not-Milwaukee-weather to win him over.

Pretty sure it would be easier to build an empire at Wake than at VCU. VCU is never going to have the ACC TV money, facilities, etc that a Wake Forest will have. How many $2-7 million dollar gifts can the VCU athletic department expect? Are they committed to spending $40 million on their facilities over the next few years? Sure, mid-majors can and do compete with the majors now compared to the past, but sustained success is going to be much harder at that level. Plus, conference realignment potential always has to be considered...Wake is far more secure than VCU will ever be.

I'm not saying he comes to Wake, or that there's even a good chance, but your argument against him coming doesn't hold up.

Last edited:
How often was VCU on national tv on Saturday and Sunday during the season? How often were they on espn prime time? Did anyone watch the a 10 tourney outside of a 10 fans?

The reason shaka leaves VCU is because he is a competitive person and wants to stalk the sidelines against the best. At a VCU all you can hope is that you build a big enough resume to make noise in the tourney. That's the only time he is on tv. A year like this is exactly why shaka leaves a place like VCU. One and done happens to the best of them but when that's your only showcase...

Not saying he will come to wake but the notion (partic in the new super conference era) that he won't leave VCU because he has it great there is nonsensical.

I want Shaka but I see no plausible way that we get him. If you're him, you are winning now and show no signs that you will stop winning any time soon. He can build an empire at VCU. If he comes here, he will likely become forgotten as he rebuilds for 2-3 years with the hopes of making it back to the tournament every year. However, the pressure here is higher than VCU given that our fanbase has had considerable success and we are surrounded by the elite. Again, I'd go Roy McAvoy after he dunked in his 12th shot if we got him, but I fear that our hopes of getting him are nearly that long.

The more likely hire, IMO, remains Howland. The Marquette job being open sucks but we have the money, the tradition and the not-Milwaukee-weather to win him over.

He's not winning. Three straight years with 0 or 1 tournament victory.

K's nearing retirement, Roy's coaching is suspect and State shouldn't scare anyone. The timing is great for someone, who wants to come in and win at Wake. Shaka? Howland? Wright? Come on down!

If Wellman is the AD he thinks he is, he needs to do whatever it takes to get Shaka. If Shaka turns us down, it needs to be because he just doesn't want to leave VCU, not because Wellman failed to go all-in.

I know he probably feels like he nailed the Clawson hire, but let's be honest -- that was a no-brainer. We've literally been talking about Clawson as a potential Grobe successor for 7 YEARS. The dude was genetically built in a lab to be the Wake Forest football coach. He even came from Wellman's alma mater for chrissakes. That took exactly no brain cells to make that hire.

Getting Shaka would take brain cells and work and BURNING CALORIES. Wellman needs to turn back the clock 15 years or so to when he was virile and hungry and go get him some. Do your fucking JOB, baby.

My top three changed:

1. SHAKA
2. SHAKA
3. SHAKA

Thinking any other way shows weakness and the acceptance of failure.

My top three changed:

1. SHAKA
2. SHAKA
3. SHAKA

Typical for Wellman, he won't get the first choice and we'll have to settle for third on that list.

My top three changed:

1. SHAKA
2. SHAKA
3. SHAKA

I like it. But since there's zero chance Shaka will actually come here and Howland is going to Marquette here's my realistic top three:
1. Russell Turner (dude can straight up coach)
2. Mike Lonergan (intense and fiery competitor who just flat out wins)
3. Brett Reed (has proven he can compete at this level with real student athletes)

Make it happen Ron!

I like it. But since there's zero chance Shaka will actually come here he's my realistic top three:
1. Russell Turner (dude can straight up coach)
2. Mike Lonergan (intense and fiery competitor who just flat out wins)
3. Brett Reed (has proven he can compete at this level with real student athletes)

Make it happen Ron!

I doubt you could have found a single person in the basketball world (other than buzz's people and VT) who would have thought Buzz Williams would be at VT today.

I like it. But since there's zero chance Shaka will actually come here and Howland is going to Marquette here's my realistic top three:

Make it happen Ron!

We can get Shaka. I really believe it now. If he sees the commitment and the money is there, then we can make this happen. Likewise, we can get any guy on our 1a/1b list if Wellman puts on a happy face and Mit and co. open their pocketbooks.

As to your three:
LonerDONK's team looked miserable. Reed's teams are meh and he's about as much of a doctor as Giannini. Turner couldn't get past a miserable Cal Poly team in his own conference tournament.

Not getting SHaka. Have you looked at his last 2 recruiting classes......4 four stars......why leave?

Give me a break. He will NEVER be able to recruit at VCU consistently the way he can do so at Wake. You need go no further than these reasons:

UNC
Dook
Syracuse
Louisville
NC State
UVa
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Whatever success you achieve at VCU you will always be doing so on a smaller stage. So anything you can do at VCU you can do it bigger and better at Wake Forest. 4 stars today? Whatever. You don't build a great legacy at VCU. You can do that at an ACC school where basketball comes first.

It is amazing to me the number of posters who think coaches make decisions to avoid challenges and increased competition.

Great post. I'd also add that they ignore a substantially increased salary and benefits, better facilities and greater leverage for recruiting in addition to all the other perks that go along with coaching in a conference that gets a lot of football money but is bball-centric overall.

Back