• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ta-Nehisi Coates: The Case for Reparations

TuffaloDeac10

🌹☭
Reaction score
just finished reading. powerful stuff. I have learned a lot by reading Coates' work the last few years.

Thanks for posting this - fascinating read. Found this to be one of the more interesting comments in the text (given the recent discussions in the Detroit thread):

"The traditional terminology, white flight, implies a kind of natural expression of preference. In fact, white flight was a triumph of social engineering, orchestrated by the shared racist presumptions of America’s public and private sectors."

Another interesting fact I never knew about was the comparison to the post-Holocaust reparations issue and the divide between Begin and Ben-Gurion regarding Jewish reparations from Germany.

I think a lot of people who post here, even if they would never, ever countenance the idea of any kind of "reparations", would do well to read this article to get some understanding of the history of the black community in America, and how that history has led to to the present day situation.

I think a lot of people who post here, even if they would never, ever countenance the idea of any kind of "reparations", would do well to read this article to get some understanding of the history of the black community in America, and how that history has led to to the present day situation.

The question is less about how we got here--that much we can see from history (and this is a good article)----the question is what we do about it now? What are the building blocks of upward mobility for people of every color who struggle with poverty?

Remove all social safety nets and leave things as they are now?

The question is less about how we got here--that much we can see from history (and this is a good article)----the question is what we do about it now? What are the building blocks of upward mobility for people of every color who struggle with poverty?

Did you read the article?

Before it was posted here, every word.

But what do we do about it? Are our current solutions working? I think they are miserable failures and we need new ideas, or maybe old ideas that have a proven track record of success (healthy, supportive families, standards-based education and a culture that rewards work and discourages dependency).

Last edited:
We could start with consumer protection laws that have some teeth.

Plunder in the past made plunder in the present efficient. The banks of America understood this. In 2005, Wells Fargo promoted a series of Wealth Building Strategies seminars. Dubbing itself “the nation’s leading originator of home loans to ethnic minority customers,” the bank enrolled black public figures in an ostensible effort to educate blacks on building “generational wealth.” But the “wealth building” seminars were a front for wealth theft. In 2010, the Justice Department filed a discrimination suit against Wells Fargo alleging that the bank had shunted blacks into predatory loans regardless of their creditworthiness. This was not magic or coincidence or misfortune. It was racism reifying itself. According to The New York Times, affidavits found loan officers referring to their black customers as “mud people” and to their subprime products as “ghetto loans.”

“We just went right after them,” Beth Jacobson, a former Wells Fargo loan officer, told The Times. “Wells Fargo mortgage had an emerging-markets unit that specifically targeted black churches because it figured church leaders had a lot of influence and could convince congregants to take out subprime loans.”

In 2011, Bank of America agreed to pay $355 million to settle charges of discrimination against its Countrywide unit. The following year, Wells Fargo settled its discrimination suit for more than $175 million. But the damage had been done. In 2009, half the properties in Baltimore whose owners had been granted loans by Wells Fargo between 2005 and 2008 were vacant; 71 percent of these properties were in predominantly black neighborhoods.

But as usual, no one went to jail, and Bank of America shook that $355M out of its couch cushions and rubbed some really expensive lotion on its tingly slapped wrist.

"Building blocks" are great - but when people with a huge power and money advantage are taking dead aim at knocking one group's "blocks" out from under them, it's going to be hard for that group to amass enough "blocks" to make a difference.

I've said it before- free education (from pre-school through graduate school) for every person who identified (or at least one of whose parents) identified as black in the last census. Program runs for 50 years, allowing the better part of 2+ generations to go through school. If you are admitted to a school, public or private, you can go.

After that, no more affirmative action based on race.

That won't solve all the problems that exist for black folks in America, but it would solve a shit ton of them.

they get free education through high school anyway. the problem is there are no standards.

The question is less about how we got here--that much we can see from history (and this is a good article)----the question is what we do about it now?

Voting on (and passing, God willing) HR 40 seems like a modest and reasonable ask. I'm contacting my representative's office tomorrow.

How would reparations be funded? A tax on every non-black? And does every black recieve payment?

Reparations—by which I mean the full acceptance of our collective biography and its consequences—is the price we must pay to see ourselves squarely..........What I’m talking about is more than recompense for past injustices—more than a handout, a payoff, hush money, or a reluctant bribe. What I’m talking about is a national reckoning that would lead to spiritual renewal. Reparations would mean the end of scarfing hot dogs on the Fourth of July while denying the facts of our heritage. Reparations would mean the end of yelling “patriotism” while waving a Confederate flag. Reparations would mean a revolution of the American consciousness, a reconciling of our self-image as the great democratizer with the facts of our history.

It's about accepting and coming to terms with America's past and working towards solutions. I think the part I quoted explains it pretty clearly; the article really lays out a perfect example why we study history and why history matters.

He isn't arguing that every descendant of slaves get's a paycheck to cover for what a bunch of white people's great-great-great-great-great grandads did. I mean, come on man. Everyone knows that won't happen; it would be political suicide for most politicians to vote for it.

How would reparations be funded? A tax on every non-black? And does every black recieve payment?

Are you talking about crayons or people?

I have to admit it took a lot longer than I thought it would for the first terrible post from someone who didn't start to read the article.

I read every word of the article. It was enlightening. I learned some things from it.

Look, I'm sorry to cut through the feel-good-about-yourself-white-guilt-look-at-me-I'm-going-to-call-my-congressman-and-demand-a-vote-on-Conyers'-bill. He is--ultimately--not talking about holding hands and singing kumba-yah. He's talking about a direct transfer of wealth, or at least a number based on that transfer as an assumption:

"Scholars have long discussed methods by which America might make reparations to those on whose labor and exclusion the country was built. In the 1970s, the Yale Law professor Boris Bittker argued in The Case for Black Reparations that a rough price tag for reparations could be determined by multiplying the number of African Americans in the population by the difference in white and black per capita income. That number—$34 billion in 1973, when Bittker wrote his book—could be added to a reparations program each year for a decade or two."

You are either disingenuous or a fool (or both) if you think otherwise.

So pardon me for wanting to know, pragmatically, what we are talking about before we start spending taxpayer money on studying it.

Last edited:
Back