• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

What do you believe about this sailor?

The protests, the systemic racism, the continued "miscarriage" of justice that disproportionately impacts people of color?

If you disagree then how do you think protests should be made? Clearly you don't agree that Kaep's protest was "proper", but it was 100% a peaceful protest.

This stuff already happened 50+ years ago in Watts and other places. Since then an enormous amount of money and energy has been spent on dealing with the complaints that led to protests, riots, looting, and arson back then. Yet, we seem to be back where we were a half-century ago. Furthermore, the places where this is happening are led by Dem politicians, pursing Dem policies, and often have minority police chiefs and significant numbers of minority police officers. It seems pretty obvious that for certain segments of American society the blue policies are not working. It's also pretty obvious that we need to do something else and people need to vote for politicians who don't champion the failed policies. More of the same, including greatly increased more of the same will produce nothing but more of the same failure among people where it has already failed.

Time to seriously rethink things. Any helpful suggestions that are not simply a repetition of the same old same old would be welcome.

If any promoters of looting, arson, and rioting can be identified, they should be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Their property should be seized and the proceeds should be used to help rebuild the communities that they have helped to devastate.

As far as the murder of George Floyd is concerned, the police officer who killed him and the other cops present, who did nothing effective to stop him, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Obviously, some people are not cut out for police work. At the same time, it seems pretty clear that the training and selection of police in Minneapolis needs to be reviewed and changed so that such events do not happen again.

Yes. Compromised.

If he's unable to denounce and properly respond to the actions of the NYPD, to keep them from running their cars into crowds, to keep them from hiding their badges with tape, and to keep their leadership from acting out against him... He's got to go.

Seems like the NYPD is the problem, not the mayor.

I saw a picture yesterday of two long rows of police officers protecting that fucking thing.

Found it:

I was about to post about this. For those of you who don't know much about Frank Rizzo, he was the living embodiment of police brutality. Had he been born in AL, he could have made Bull Connor look like a pacifist, civil rights leader. He famously bragged about having a tank on Temple's campus and promised to level neighborhoods if there was any what he considered trouble in North Philly. Police brutality was sanctioned and ubiquitous. Although Rizzo was a racist, his police department brutalized anyone and everyone with no consequences whatsoever. People got beaten during traffic stops.

I'm surprised the crowd didn't pull down the statue a la Saddam Hussein's.

I saw a tweet this weekend that stated on average America trains their police officers for 19 weeks, where the average length of training time in Europe is around 2 years. No surprise that when you train somebody for 20% of the time most other countries do that you get bad results comparatively.

Exactly! This is the heart of the problem.

I don't know what's happening in y'all's cities and towns, but we've got a black may and black city councilman calling for nonviolent protests and no destruction of property.

thanks!

I ordered a copy of The End of Policing this morning

trying to get a reading group moving

I'd be down for the reading group if you plan to do it digitally

Ok, this is obviously not the point and that is abhorrent, but my first thought as a father of two daughters is "why the fuck would you have your kid anywhere near one of these demonstrations?"

What do you believe about this sailor?

The protests, the systemic racism, the continued "miscarriage" of justice that disproportionately impacts people of color?

If you disagree then how do you think protests should be made? Clearly you don't agree that Kaep's protest was "proper", but it was 100% a peaceful protest.

You are making this too complex. He simply doesn't believe there is any significant injustice. Therefore, all of these protests (peaceful and not) are unjustified.

Ok, this is obviously not the point and that is abhorrent, but my first thought as a father of two daughters is "why the fuck would you have your kid anywhere near one of these demonstrations?"

for real, no chance she can break a window, her arms look puny as hell

why did they take their kid to a peaceful protest?

You are making this too complex. He simply doesn't believe there is any significant injustice. Therefore, all of these protests (peaceful and not) are unjustified.

Yeah I mean it's like when the yesterday on one of the Sunday morning shows said he doesn't believe there is systemic racism. Not a lot you can do with this.

To sailor's credit, he did provide a legitimate post in response to my questions. The false equivalency of property damage vs. loss of human life is an obvious logical failure there, but he did post something.

I don't know what's happening in y'all's cities and towns, but we've got a black may and black city councilman calling for nonviolent protests and no destruction of property.

Some of you might need to let these people know how fucked up what they're saying is, in your opinion.

Yeah right, Townie knows better. Merely suggesting that destruction of property, vandalism, and stealing from businesses that have been kind, accepting, and supportive of the entire community in a progressive city just shows you're a racist.

why did they take their kid to a peaceful protest?

Doesn't seem like the protests in Seattle especially have been particularly peaceful, and it doesn't seem like the police reaction to anything around the country has been remotely peaceful.

ETA: We marched yesterday in our quiet little corner of the world where there is very little of the violence and unrest that has characterized the demonstrations in larger areas. An SUV still intentionally drove through the protest and swerved at people. Some protesters had to literally dive out of the way. I didn't think it was the best climate to bring my kids into.

Last edited:
Yeah right, Townie knows better. Merely suggesting that destruction of property, vandalism, and stealing from businesses that have been kind, accepting, and supportive of the entire community in a progressive city just shows you're a racist.

Back