• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

The rich mom in Parasite was pretty hot though.

Just saw Parasite yesterday. The vague reference to some sort of drug problem was odd. Maybe they had to cut the length down and omitted more of that detail. Interesting story.
Surprised it won the oscar, however. The rain/sewage scene was Hollywood-esq over the top. Not a huge fan of subtitles.

Just saw Parasite yesterday. The vague reference to some sort of drug problem was odd. Maybe they had to cut the length down and omitted more of that detail. Interesting story.
Surprised it won the oscar, however. The rain/sewage scene was Hollywood-esq over the top. Not a huge fan of subtitles.

I think they were role playing. She is pretending to be a lower class druggie. I had to think about that one though. Sometimes, Korean movies don’t translate well with certain snippets of dialogue or behavior.

The flood scene is not really over the top if you grew up in Korea. Monsoon rains and flooding were a problem. Don’t know if they still are. Dudes drunk out of their minds on soju and pissing in the alleys also common.

Yeah, that wasn't Churchill's finest hour.

tru tru

interesting event in history re: Australian/New Zealand national identity. the movie is really a love letter to the ANZAC myth; the Saving Private Ryan-ification of the greatest gen

I really liked Jojo. Felt like a mix of Moonrise Kingdom and Death of Stalin, both of which I also really like.

Just saw four movies on recent flights:

Zombieland 2 - Not as good as the first in any respect really, but I still enjoyed the shit out of it.

Playing With Fire - Embarrassed that I watched it, and it was even worse than I anticipated. Just a pile of shit and not even a little funny, which is all I was hoping for.

Knives Out - I enjoyed it. Thought it was cleaver and the twists were good. Very similar, at least to me, as Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express in that somewhat campy kind of way.

Midway - I thought it was a pretty good war movie. It's what that trash heap Pearl Harbor should have been.

Just saw four movies on recent flights:

Zombieland 2 - Not as good as the first in any respect really, but I still enjoyed the shit out of it.

Playing With Fire - Embarrassed that I watched it, and it was even worse than I anticipated. Just a pile of shit and not even a little funny, which is all I was hoping for.

Knives Out - I enjoyed it. Thought it was cleaver and the twists were good. Very similar, at least to me, as Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express in that somewhat campy kind of way.

Midway - I thought it was a pretty good war movie. It's what that trash heap Pearl Harbor should have been.

I see what you did there.

No Time to Die pushed to November because of coronavirus. Thanks a lot CHINA.

Saw two movies over the weekend. The first was the Laundromat, which we really enjoyed. It's a fun way of very loosely telling a true story with a really good cast. I remember thinking when the Panama Papers came out that I almost certainly know some people named in there. My 10 years in private practice involved a lot of off-shore companies and I encountered more than a few shady people. I think it's worth a look.

We're also getting back to trying to power through the AFI 100, so yesterday we watched Sunset Boulevard. I thought it was excellent. Gloria Swanson was fantastic as Norma Desmond (though I think she may have been just as crazy in real life as the character in the movie). I've seen the broadway musical a few times, and I was surprised how close it was to the movie.

Stayed on the classic movie train and watched The Thin Man. Defs not an AFI 100, but it was really funny and quirky. One of the more enjoyable old movies that I've seen (not necessarily the best, but just fun to sit through). There are five more movies in the series and I'm sure we'll check them out soon.

Was going to do a Welles double feature last night of The Stranger and Lady From Shanghai, neither of which I'd seen, but I only made it through the Stranger before crashing. Decent noir. Welles is nasty. Nice role for Edward G. Robinson. Some cool stuff, for sure. Started Shanghai, but drifted off -- Welles' Irish accent in that might be a stretch, I can already tell.

Watched "Red River" for the first time in years. I remembered more of it than I thought I would. Walter Brennan's line "no stranger ever good-newsed me" if one of my all-time sayings. The ending was weaker than I recalled but still a fine John Wayne western. Music by Tiomkin was stellar.

Watched Shaolin Soccer last night. It was one of RT's 25 essential comedies, but I'd never heard of it before. It was weird as fuck and not really funny, but i didn't hate it. It was oddly enjoyable because it was so incredibly ridiculous.

Caught Onward over the weekend. Relatively predictable, but still pretty enjoyable even if it was a bit long. Seems like it would be a great watch for the crew that is/was into Magic, D&D, etc.

Back