• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Angus has always been right. He has turned $100 in a futures account into nine figures. Of course, he would expect Krugman to be perfect.

The real question is whether Paul Krugman understands basic statistics?

The issue here isn't a prediction regardless. Krugman clearly documents, to those that actually read the article, the source of the conclusions about Pub hypocrisy in how they view fed policy.

From the clown who once claimed, and I quote, "By 2005 or so, it will become clear that the Internet's impact on the economy has been no greater than the fax machine's"?

No thanks... I won't be clicking on that link

You should read "The Signal and the Noise" to get a butter understanding of how predictions are made, why they are difficult, and why some many predictions seem to be wrong.

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...#v=onepage&q=the signal and the noise&f=false

In GOP mythology, any liberal or progressive who makes a single mistake or wrong prediction on anything is dubbed an idiot and any future opinions from them are automatically dismissed as worthless. Right wingers, on the other hand, can be endlessly wrong on all sorts of things, yet other right wingers will continue to believe in nearly everything they say (re: Trump). When AOC got the partisan affiliation of a member of Congress wrong recently, every conservative from Fox News to social media types hooted and pointed fingers at how this mistake proved how dumb and worthless she was. Meanwhile, a GOP member brings a snowball to Congress to disprove global warming and - silence.

In GOP mythology, any liberal or progressive who makes a single mistake or wrong prediction on anything is dubbed an idiot and any future opinions from them are automatically dismissed as worthless. Right wingers, on the other hand, can be endlessly wrong on all sorts of things, yet other right wingers will continue to believe in nearly everything they say (re: Trump). When AOC got the partisan affiliation of a member of Congress wrong recently, every conservative from Fox News to social media types hooted and pointed fingers at how this mistake proved how dumb and worthless she was. Meanwhile, a GOP member brings a snowball to Congress to disprove global warming and - silence.

Iraq has weapons of mass destruction!

The real question is whether Paul Krugman understands basic statistics?

The issue here isn't a prediction regardless. Krugman clearly documents, to those that actually read the article, the source of the conclusions about Pub hypocrisy in how they view fed policy.

Of course.

Obviously it’s easier to just smear the author without bothering to read something you’re attempting to challenge.

Remember everyone, Angus didn’t vote for trump but literally never criticized him or any other republicans for getting facts wrong.

He’s too embarrassed to admit the state of his party sucks so he just snarks at anything liberals do and doesn’t take accountability for his party while claiming moral high ground with the “I did t vote for him !” BS

Remember everyone, [insert name of board conservative/moderate/right-leaning-independent] didn’t vote for trump but literally never criticized him or any other republicans for getting facts wrong.

He’s too embarrassed to admit the state of his party sucks so he just snarks at anything liberals do and doesn’t take accountability for his party while claiming moral high ground with the “I did t vote for him !” BS

No they're just considered no longer conservative Heretics and thrown out of the club. Like New England deac or Max boot

is there anyone other than TheReff or bkf on here willing to admit they voted for Trump?

So stupid that the state (undoubtedly Pubs) wants to control what statues a city may re/move.

Let’s see...what do Pubs really stand for? Small government? Nope. Local control? Nope. Fiscal responsibility? Nope.

Gun proliferation? Yep. Obstruction to removing racist monuments? Yep.

It's been on the books since 1950, and it's had some minor changes in recent years (btw, that would have been a Dem passed law in 1950). And yeah, it's a stupid law, and localities should be able to make their own decisions. And I bet they weren't thinking of Cville when they passed the law - more like Monument Blvd in Richmond, which I remember calling Losers Blvd to my Richmond relatives when visiting as a kid. That said, it's still the law.

I'll give you a little history of what happened. When council first started talking about the statues, they established a blue ribbon commission to hold meetings and make recommendations as to what to do with the statues. And it of course became a hot button issue locally. So being a blue ribbon commissioner must have been miserable - having to sit and get yelled at by both sides by area residents (think citizens of Pawnee public meetings in Parks and Rec). The commission made several recommendations, including not to relocate the statues but to further contextualize them. This was the position of the U of Richmond history prof who was on 60 minutes a year or 2 ago (I recommend the interview if you didn't see it originally). My favorite recommendation by the commission was to establish a new city holiday to replace the Lee/Jackson holiday that the city got rid of - Liberation Day - the day Union troops marched into Cville to retake it. The reason I liked it so much was it really would have pissed off area right wingers, and it wouldn't have cost a dime. But council never voted for Liberation Day after getting the commission's recommendations, however they did vote to remove the statues - after being advised by the city attorney that they had no legal authority to do so and would lose in court. What they should have done if they wanted to raise the issue would have been to have asked our local delegate to try to repeal that code section in the general assembly. Our current general assembly obviously would never vote to repeal the code section, but that would have been the legal manner in which to raise the issue for public discussion. Instead, they opted for the illegal manner and created the impression in much of our citizenry that they had the legal authority to do so when they in fact did not. And we're still dealing with the aftermath of all the crap that has descended on our city following this vote. And unfortunately, our city government is now extremely dysfunctional with an ineffective council leading the way.

BTW, speaking of civil war monuments, I'm halfway through Chernow's Grant bio, and I do recommend it.

Southern Dems in 1950s = Pubs of today, roughly.

In NC anyway, it’s Pubs that have recently passed laws so restricting localities.

Southern Dems in 1950s = Pubs of today, roughly.

In NC anyway, it’s Pubs that have recently passed laws so restricting localities.

Yeah, pretty much so. Tim Kaine's wife's dad was the only Pub governor in forever in VA when he won in the 1960s. He was a Rockefeller Pub type, and that was when the Pub party was still more pro business but also the more tolerant party when it came to social issues. At least in the mid-atlantic area. MD Dems back in the day were similar as well.

Back