• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

In other news...One person certainly on Clinton's short list for VP is Sen. Tim Kaine (DVA). Not only is Kaine a senator from a key swing state, but he was formerly governor of Virginia and also chairman of the DNC. That gives him plenty of political experience as well as executive experience. A strong factor in Kaine's favor is that his election as Vice President would not cost the Democrats a Senate seat, as the election of Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) would. The reason is that the governor of Virginia is Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D-VA), a close personal friend and political ally of the Clintons. He is term limited as governor and would almost certainly appoint himself to Kaine's Senate seat. Furthermore, his resignation as governor would promote Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA) to governor and give him a leg up in the 2017 gubernatorial race. Thus, the choice of Kaine would give Clinton a running mate who could help in Virginia and neighboring North Carolina, hold the Senate seat, and help the Democrats hang onto the governor's mansion. (V)

I don't think she'll put a woman on the ticket. Brown would be a good pick, but Kasich would put a Republican in to take his place and the Senate may be that close. Kaine is near the top with Julian Castro and Thomas Perez.

Who then. It almost certainly won't be Booker, Warren, or even Sanders himself. It can't be anyone from the NE as then you would have the whole shooting match from up there assuming Trump takes Christie.

Al Franken might work or maybe John Hickenlooper (D-Gov-CO). The Lt. Gov out there is Joe Garcia (D) so you could slide a Latino in at Gov.

Who then. It almost certainly won't be Booker, Warren, or even Sanders himself. It can't be anyone from the NE as then you would have the whole shooting match from up there assuming Trump takes Christie.

Al Franken might work or maybe John Hickenlooper (D-Gov-CO). The Lt. Gov out there is Joe Garcia (D) so you could slide a Latino in at Gov.

Both those names suck on a campaign bumper sticker though.

I still think it will be Julian Castro. But many seem t think Tom Perez is ahead of him now.

Castro makes more sense, IMO

Why? I thought Hillary had already locked up 110% of the Latino vote and that they were all fired up to vote. If Castro is on the ticket to do they get to vote twice or something?

She had better pick somebody who appeals to Bernie's supporters, unless she wants a bunch of them to stay home on Election Day.

Trump would love to make this race about amnesty and increased work visas. Hillary picking a VP who will help to put those issues in the forefront of voter's minds helps Trump.

Castro makes more sense, IMO

I agree but for some reason, a lot of people think that Secretary of Labor Tom Perez is #1 on here list now. He does seem personable and very bright.

Trump would love to make this race about amnesty and increased work visas. Hillary picking a VP who will help to put those issues in the forefront of voter's minds helps Trump.

I'm not sure if Castro will bring out more Latinos or bring out more xenophobes scared of El Vice Presidente Castro.

I'm not sure if Castro will bring out more Latinos or bring out more xenophobes scared of El Vice Presidente Castro.

I suspect it's the latter. Trump wants to hang immigration, amnesty, and NAFTA around Hillary's neck and make people terrified of what's gonna happen if she's president. Hillary's already got most of the Hispanic and woman vote. I'm doubtful the African American turnout will be nearly as strong as the last election- why not pick Cory Booker? I think he would be a good choice. I don't see her picking a leftist to try and get Bernie's supporters. Just look at the people around her.

I suspect it's the latter. Trump wants to hang immigration, amnesty, and NAFTA around Hillary's neck and make people terrified of what's gonna happen if she's president. Hillary's already got most of the Hispanic and woman vote. I'm doubtful the African American turnout will be nearly as strong as the last election- why not pick Cory Booker? I think he would be a good choice. I don't see her picking a leftist to try and get Bernie's supporters. Just look at the people around her.

I see you angling for a vegan on the ticket.

Having somebody that follows my awful Twitter feed could wreck a ticket. #humblebrag #mybffcorey

Atlanta Mayor’s Column Ripping Bernie Sanders Drafted by Lobbyist, Emails Show
But emails released from Reed’s office indicate that the column, which pilloried Sanders as out of touch with the poor, was primarily written by a corporate lobbyist, and was edited by Correct the Record, one of several pro-Clinton Super PACs.
Anne Torres, the mayor’s director of communications, told The Intercept this week that the column was not written by the mayor, but by Tharon Johnson, a former Reed adviser who now works as a lobbyist for UnitedHealth, Honda, and MGM Resorts, among other clients. The column’s revisions by staffers from Correct the Record are documented in the emails.
Johnson did not respond to a request for comment. Correct the Record did not respond either.

Correct the Record is the Super PAC founded by David Brock, a Republican-turned-Democratic strategist who controls a number of pro-Clinton campaign entities and websites.

In April, Correct the Record caused a stir when it announced plans to spend $1 million to build a “digital task force” dedicated to “pushing out positive content to Hillary supporters online to counter negative attacks and false narratives.”

Super PACs were intended to be independent entities, explicitly prohibited from coordinating directly with campaigns. Correct the Record, however, has tested the limits of campaign finance law and openly coordinates with the Clinton campaign.
https://theintercept.com/2016/05/06/hillary-super-pac-draft-oped/

Just FYI- many issue editorials are not written by the person who's name ultimately goes on them. It's a pretty common process.

Why? I thought Hillary had already locked up 110% of the Latino vote and that they were all fired up to vote. If Castro is on the ticket to do they get to vote twice or something?

She had better pick somebody who appeals to Bernie's supporters, unless she wants a bunch of them to stay home on Election Day.

Because he's from Texas. The other guy rj mentioned is from the NE

Back