• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

Bernie as VP? Doubtful.

While I like Kaine, that move doesn't help the senate in the long run. He and Warner can maintain their seats as long as they want. McAuliffe, with 1 year remaining in his term, would likely appoint himself to that seat. But he's not overly popular and would be up again in 2018 and likely lose in that midterm (VA is bluer in presidential years and redder in midterms). But I'm sure McAuliffe's ego doesn't permit him the thought that he could possibly lose, and as a close friend of Hillary's, he's probably pushing her strongly to pick Kaine. I guarantee you that's a subplot in this process because McAuliffe is term limited and has nowhere to go after next year.

While I like Kaine, that move doesn't help the senate in the long run. He and Warner can maintain their seats as long as they want. McAuliffe, with 1 year remaining in his term, would likely appoint himself to that seat. But he's not overly popular and would be up again in 2018 and likely lose in that midterm (VA is bluer in presidential years and redder in midterms). But I'm sure McAuliffe's ego doesn't permit him the thought that he could possibly lose, and as a close friend of Hillary's, he's probably pushing her strongly to pick Kaine. I guarantee you that's a subplot in this process because McAuliffe is term limited and has nowhere to go after next year.

Cabinet spot?

I don't know if I agree with this, I think McAuliffe is far more popular and performing much better than anyone expected when he ran and was elected. When you also consider that the Virginia Republican bench is pretty weak (seriously, is there anyone of note other than Gillespie and Cuccinelli out there?), I wouldn't be too worried about Kaine potentially leaving his seat to be on the ticket.

I don't know if I agree with this, I think McAuliffe is far more popular and performing much better than anyone expected when he ran and was elected. When you also consider that the Virginia Republican bench is pretty weak (seriously, is there anyone of note other than Gillespie and Cuccinelli out there?), I wouldn't be too worried about Kaine potentially leaving his seat to be on the ticket.

I agree McAuliffe has outperformed his low expectations. And he'd certainly beat Kookinelli, though I'm not as sure about Gillespie in an off year. But if VA Pubs got their heads out of asses and ran Bolling against him, Bolling would beat him easily. Bolling would have crushed him for governor by double digits had the grass roots Pubs not screwed him by denying him a primary and instead choosing Kookinelli and EW Jackson at a convention. EW Jackson literally believes yoga leads to devil worship for chrissakes. Bolling was a Pub everyone could do business with, and he would have gotten a fair amount of crossover vote against McAuliffe, who was widely perceived as a carpet bagger. And the rumor is Kookinelli is planning to run for governor again. VA is just too purple for the Pubs to run right wing idiots for statewide office these days. But the religious right who controls the party at the grass roots level hasn't gotten that memo.

WASHINGTON — Sen. Bernie Sanders' tax and spending proposals would provide new levels of health and education benefits for American families, but they'd also blow an $18-trillion hole in federal deficits, piling on so much debt they would damage the economy.

That sobering assessment comes from a joint analysis released Monday by the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center and the Urban Institute Health Policy Center, well-known Washington think tanks.

The bottom line: Democratic presidential candidate Sanders would raise taxes by more than $15 trillion over 10 years, with most of that paid by upper-income earners. But that wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of his proposed government-run health care system, along with free undergraduate college, enhanced Social Security, family and medical leave, among other new programs

Just what we need, eh Bob??

WASHINGTON — Sen. Bernie Sanders' tax and spending proposals would provide new levels of health and education benefits for American families, but they'd also blow an $18-trillion hole in federal deficits, piling on so much debt they would damage the economy.

That sobering assessment comes from a joint analysis released Monday by the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center and the Urban Institute Health Policy Center, well-known Washington think tanks.

The bottom line: Democratic presidential candidate Sanders would raise taxes by more than $15 trillion over 10 years, with most of that paid by upper-income earners. But that wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of his proposed government-run health care system, along with free undergraduate college, enhanced Social Security, family and medical leave, among other new programs

Just what we need, eh Bob??

Looking at what other Bernie Bros are saying about it, one criticism is the study uses medical costs as established by private payer insurers. Most of the difference comes from them projecting health care is going to cost over double what the Sanders plan projects.

Any thoughts on this piece?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/superdelegates-third-political-party-bernie-sanders_b_9867194.html

"When Vox publishes an article titled Neocons for Hillary, Democrats are heading in the wrong direction. From Wall Street to war and foreign policy, Democrats have capitulated to Republicans. The formation of a third political party is a near certainty if Clinton is nominated, even after an FBI criminal investigation, and even though Bernie Sanders defeats Trump by a wider margin..."

Any thoughts on this piece?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/superdelegates-third-political-party-bernie-sanders_b_9867194.html

"When Vox publishes an article titled Neocons for Hillary, Democrats are heading in the wrong direction. From Wall Street to war and foreign policy, Democrats have capitulated to Republicans. The formation of a third political party is a near certainty if Clinton is nominated, even after an FBI criminal investigation, and even though Bernie Sanders defeats Trump by a wider margin..."

The opening paragraph puts the rest of the article in peril. The only reason there is such a thing as neocons for Hillary is that they hate Trump with a red hot hate.

It continues to read like it was written by a pathetic, bad loser Bernie fan boy. If anyone believes that Bernie would defeat Trump by a wider margin (or at all) after months of visceral attacks on Bernie being a commie, they are dreaming. Bernie is as easy a target as that fastball was for Bartolo Colon was yesterday

If you can't see how unhappy that liberals are with the current Democratic party then you're blinder than Stevie Wonder

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If you can't see how unhappy that liberals are with the current Democratic party then you're blinder than Stevie Wonder

Then they are being stupid. Bill put two really liberal Justices on the USSC. Hillary will get the chance to put 2-4 there to go with Kagan and Sotomayor and Garland. She will ensure a 20-30 year liberal Court. If the far left keeps crying lik little bitches and attacking Hillary, then Trump has a shot and he'll reinforce the horrific decisions of the Court and lose any progressive future for the next 20-30.

The left will also get things like an increase in the minimum wage, more equal pay and rolling back the voter ID laws.

Or you can take you ball and stay home and elect Trump.

Think of this way, if 1000 more liberals had shown up and voted for Gore there would have been no Iraq War and no ISIS.

So, are so spoiled that you want to stay home and elect someone worse than W (something unfathomable until Trump)?

A lot of young libs are acting like get off my lawn Bobknightfan.

Last edited:
Sure and if 1000 more conservatives had shown up and voted for Bush there wouldn't have been the need for a SCOTUS ruling. You could play that game all day.

That doesn't change the premise of staying home can help elect Trump and lose the USSC until you're 50. If you want to see decisions even worse than CU, VRA and Hobby Lobby, then stay home or vote for a third party candidate.

I don't like Hillary very much, but she's infinitely better than Trump, and those are the only choices.

I don't like Hillary very much, but she's infinitely better than Trump, and those are the only choices.

Those are the only choices because the Dems establishment are capitulating sell outs and DWS is a twat

Back