• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

I really liked Oliver on TDS. Around show 3-4 on the HBO show, they shifted away from satire to those 10 minute rants that aren't funny, and always only present one side of the argument, i.e. telling you which way to think. That format wholly sells out to the awful PC Principal Owellian groupthink that has co-opted the brains of the majority of lowest common denominators in our society.

Couple that with a presentation by a guy that could easily be named Pip, and has been here since like 2008, and it gets annoying fast.

Oh and that thing he does where in order to emphasize a joke he just repeats it but louder, its the most beat up trick ever. At least Stewart had like 3-4 go to impressions.

I really like JO's show, and while I agree with much of what he is arguing for, I do agree that the "telling you which way to think" part is a bit heavyhanded.

But I absolutely hate the repeat yelling schtick. So much hate.

I really liked Oliver on TDS. Around show 3-4 on the HBO show, they shifted away from satire to those 10 minute rants that aren't funny, and always only present one side of the argument, i.e. telling you which way to think. That format wholly sells out to the awful PC Principal Owellian groupthink that has co-opted the brains of the majority of lowest common denominators in our society.

Couple that with a presentation by a guy that could easily be named Pip, and has been here since like 2008, and it gets annoying fast.

Oh and that thing he does where in order to emphasize a joke he just repeats it but louder, its the most beat up trick ever. At least Stewart had like 3-4 go to impressions.

I think he's pretty tone deaf, but he does talk about stuff you won't otherwise hear about anywhere (civil forfeiture, net neutrality, native advertising, publicly financed stadiums, etc.)

He presents things in a one-sided fashion, and I've found generally that the more I actually know about the subject, the more I disagree with his presentation.

Major eyeroll to your "pc principal orwellian groupthink" nonsense, but otherwise I tend to agree.

I don't think I'd ever heard or read anything other than extreme praise for Oliver's show/format before reading those posts. I'd be interested to hear the "other sides" of some of the topics he's tackled. There have been a couple times where I've thought the topic or argument was weak, and I agree that the "British man yelling at me about my country" schtick can get old when I don't personally put value in the topic at hand, but that's about as far as I'd go with my criticism. I think he's generally fantastic.

The only bit of his that sort of bugs me is when he takes a beat, turns to the box in the upper left, and talks to it. It can be a very, very funny joke, but he falls back on that a little too much.

I think he's pretty tone deaf, but he does talk about stuff you won't otherwise hear about anywhere (civil forfeiture, net neutrality, native advertising, publicly financed stadiums, etc.)

He presents things in a one-sided fashion, and I've found generally that the more I actually know about the subject, the more I disagree with his presentation.

Major eyeroll to your "pc principal orwellian groupthink" nonsense, but otherwise I tend to agree.

Example?

The sugar ep, the NCAA ep, the FIFA ep. He presents a lot of conjecture and opinion as fact. Which is fine if you're a comedy program, but a little grating when you're preaching.

Sorry for not toeing the party line, I guess.

Y'all don't think the "eww fast food and bud light" was elitist and tone deaf? There's a bit much of that for me.

Right. Like saying H&M is evil and only dumb poors shop there.

He's got a lot of problem exposing under his belt and no solution proposing. Unless you think his hashtags have been big wins.

Like I said, I enjoy his show and find him funny. But he's really biased and often obnoxious and I think it'd be worse if I didn't agree with him so often.

Wow didn't realize there was so much John Oliver hate. I think he's fucking hilarious, and he picks topics that are timely but at the same time are ones that the main stream media isn't touching

I'm not surprised. Americans have spent their entire lives being told theirs is the greatest country in the world. Then someone like Oliver or Obama tells them there's a problem and they lose their shit. American exceptionalism I believe it's called, aka narcissistic patriotism.

I like his viewpoints for the most part and appreciate the specifics he brings. I just find his humor remarkably unfunny most of the time.

I'm not surprised. Americans have spent their entire lives being told theirs is the greatest country in the world. Then someone like Oliver or Obama tells them there's a problem and they lose their shit. American exceptionalism I believe it's called, aka narcissistic patriotism.
We are the best country in the world, that doesn't mean there's not funny stuff to make fun of

Back