• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

After seeing Noah's interview with the Bumble CEO, I think having a young single late night host could be an interesting change.

I thought Noah was great on Monday night - haven't caught last night's yet. Hart was the perfect guest to take some of the comedic pressure off him and they did a nice job of introducing the new correspondent.

After seeing Noah's interview with the Bumble CEO, I think having a young single late night host could be an interesting change.

Noah reminds us just how old Stewart had become on screen. Over the last 3 or four years he was still really funny but he came across as old, tired and "angry funny"...it wasn't the cheerful clever satire of the early 2000's.

aging-sucks.jpg

1280238075_jon-stewart-290.jpg

You mean the passage of time made a man in his 30s have gray hair and looser skin in his 50s? WTF indeed.

You mean the passage of time made a man in his 30s have gray hair and looser skin in his 50s? WTF indeed.

No I just meant he aged out of the job both in style and eventually appearance. He recognized it too. It's a young guy's gig. Anyone less clever than Stewart would have never lasted into his 50's in that role. But even he timed out.

No I just meant he aged out of the job both in style and eventually appearance. He recognized it too. It's a young guy's gig. Anyone less clever than Stewart would have never lasted into his 50's in that role. But even he timed out.

My post was directed to the meme, not your message.

Watched a Late Show from last week and Noah's 2nd TDS last night. I'm unchanged. The Late Show is mediocre standard late night fare. But I enjoyed Noah for the 2nd night in a row. Think I'll keep doing the next day replay of TDS and the 1st 10:00 of Wilmore's show.

I watched Late Show last night through the interview with John Oliver. The monologue and desk segment weren't memorable except for some Trump digs. The interview was way too short, but the bit with Stephen and Tom Hanks before it was hilarious.

Jordan Klepper and the new guy were so good together last night. I hope they do more like that.

Jordan Klepper and the new guy were so good together last night. I hope they do more like that.

Wow. Watching it now. This is the funniest thing I've seen on TDS in a long time. Klepper is coming into his own and Roy Wood, Jr is fantastic.

Good interview with Chris Christie from both sides. Definitely an encouraging start by Trevor Noah.

Last edited:
Klepper is a damn star IMO. He will have his own desk somewhere in a few years.

I saw a young Colbert vibe from him that I hadn't seen before. He and Jessica Williams are fantastic. With Roy Wood and Al Madrigal, that's a strong lineup.

Yeah. He had a segment on Wednesday's show.

After two weeks of shows, I don't think much has changed. Noah has done well and he's added his own voice to some of the material. One drawback is that some of the material still seems like it's written for Stewart or at least someone who has been in the US for more than a year or so. It is awkward for Noah to deliver a line that implies a long knowledge of how America works, then show genuine naivete in the interviews. Hopefully with time, the writing team will figure out how to write for his voice as an immigrant. John Oliver's team on Last Week Tonight has mastered that which allows him to deliver scathing critiques as an amazed outsider. Noah's bit comparing Trump to an African dictator was a good start. An African voice in late night, much less TV overall, is welcome.

The correspondents have really stepped up to the challenge. Jessica Williams seems to be the most senior of the regular correspondents, although I've only seen her once so far. The new tech guy did a funny bit on virtual realty. Hasan Minhaj had a funny story last night on the "ban the box" movement.

I thought Noah's monologues on Monday and Wednesday were fantastic. Monday's targeted gun violence and the "culture of life" on the Right while Wednesday's targeted Carson.

Agreed. I'm back to enjoying TDS and the 1st 10:00 of Wilmore's show. But not watching Colbert on the Late Show. I miss the Report. The Word was the best ongoing segment on TV, and his superpac stuff with Stewart and McCain's lawyer was the best comedy ever on TV.:panda:

I like it so far. Oliver's show is not an example of where they should go from the immigrant perspective. There isn't a whinnier, preachier, more tone deaf show on TV than that little limey dwarf with his rotten chicklets and his size 37 jacket telling Americans what is wrong with their country.

Noah's tone is already far, far better.

I like Jon Oliver and find him funny, but I think I'd hate him if I were anything other than a liberal/dead inside.

I really liked Oliver on TDS. Around show 3-4 on the HBO show, they shifted away from satire to those 10 minute rants that aren't funny, and always only present one side of the argument, i.e. telling you which way to think. That format wholly sells out to the awful PC Principal Owellian groupthink that has co-opted the brains of the majority of lowest common denominators in our society.

Couple that with a presentation by a guy that could easily be named Pip, and has been here since like 2008, and it gets annoying fast.

Oh and that thing he does where in order to emphasize a joke he just repeats it but louder, its the most beat up trick ever. At least Stewart had like 3-4 go to impressions.

Back