• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

How about Seth Myers? Has to be a logical step up from Late Night.

How about Seth Myers? Has to be a logical step up from Late Night.

I think that's a good question. Is The Daily Show a step up from Late Night? I think you can make a decent argument that it is simply because Fallon isn't going anywhere anytime soon and Letterman has already been replaced.

I think that's a good question. Is The Daily Show a step up from Late Night? I think you can make a decent argument that it is simply because Fallon isn't going anywhere anytime soon and Letterman has already been replaced.

Meyers is an NBC golden child though.

Meyers is an NBC golden child though.

Right. Just because he won't leave doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good move. If not for the wholesale changes at NBC and CBS late night, The Daily Show wouldn't be as attractive. It's likely the last major late night opening for the next decade or longer.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was wondering. There's nowhere for him to go. And at least for now The Daily Show gets more TV viewers plus a huge online audience compared to NBC's Late Night.

If Oliver's going to stick with the HBO gig I'd take Myers as a solid alternative. Short of Tina Fey nobody else mentioned would be all that exciting to me.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was wondering. There's nowhere for him to go. And at least for now The Daily Show gets more TV viewers plus a huge online audience compared to NBC's Late Night.

If Oliver's going to stick with the HBO gig I'd take Myers as a solid alternative. Short of Tina Fey nobody else mentioned would be all that exciting to me.

Late Night has more viewers at 12:30 than the Daily Show at 11:00.

Late Night has more viewers at 12:30 than the Daily Show at 11:00.

Not really. Most of what I read had The Daily Show outpacing it for a long while, lately it's like 1.5 million for Late Show versus 1.2 million for the Daily Show, but that's a lot of Fallon hangover. When you add in online views and actual eyes on the whole show the Daily Show crushes the Late Show. Overall last year: "Comedy Central’s “Daily Show with Jon Stewart” (874,000 adults 18-49, 1.659 million viewers overall) and at 12:35 a.m., “Late Night with Seth Meyers” led with 1.51 million viewers (down 11% from last year when the show was hosted by Fallon)."

The Daily Show is a better gig. More freedom, more edge, more people care about it, and more people see the show. Not sure what the 2014 numbers were, but in 2013 The Daily Show added 1.5 Million views online to their ratings number for over a 2.5 million viewer average.

What would have more viewers: a Seth Meyers Daily Show or Late Night with Seth Meyers?

The more I watch the 1st several minutes of the Nightly Show, the more I think Wilmore could pull it off as Daily Show anchor. While I don't like his roundtable format in the middle, he's good doing the news at the beginning and is good enough as an interviewer. I'm rooting for either him or Oliver.

I think it's unlikely they move him from 11:30 to 11:00 and change shows. I'm curious about Stewart's thinking. Since he took Summer 2013 off for Rosewater, he basically hooked up Colbert, Oliver, and Wilmore with new opportunities. Colbert would have left anyway, but Oliver and Wilmore would have been favorites to take over for him. It definitely suggests this was a sudden decision by him over the last few months.

The more I watch the 1st several minutes of the Nightly Show, the more I think Wilmore could pull it off as Daily Show anchor. While I don't like his roundtable format in the middle, he's good doing the news at the beginning and is good enough as an interviewer. I'm rooting for either him or Oliver.

Im thinking with the handoffs they are now doing between the two, etc., that this might have been the plan all along. I think its a very real possiblity that the Nightly Show just replaces the Daily Show.

Also, I am sort of out on John Oliver. Dude has his moments, but those in depth segments, when they miss, which is becoming more and more often, just turn into an annoying 140lb self-righteous limey yelling about the problems of America for 10 minutes. No thanks.

Weird that they brought him in soon before Stewart announced. He could have been the host in waiting all along.

ugh, this is like watching the post-Skip Wake Forest bball coaching search all over again

First time I've ever seen Army basketball compared to South African media.

Back