• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

I think David Cross would be a really good successor to Jon Stewart.

I think David Cross would be a really good successor to Jon Stewart.

Probably. Who knew Mr. Show would be a farm system for such talent all these years later?

I think that's the knee-jerk reaction for many - but it's similar to how people felt when Kilborn left and Stewart took over. Worked out ok.

Didn't viewership increase 400% in the year that Stewart took over for Kilborn? I highly doubt any replacement for Stewart could have that much upper potential.

I absolutely love Jon Oliver's show. I think he's about the only comedian who could step into JS's shoes and not have the Daily Show immediately turn south. I highly doubt CC woos him away from HBO, though.

Funny how you've never outed any of moonz aliases.

moonz is so awful at protecting his aliases all on his own that he doesn't need help "outing" them. CANKLES! FAT CHEETOS!

moonz posts : cankles, cheetos :: caturday posts: racism, bigotry, and deer avoidance

Hardwick is not the right guy for that show. Not at all.

Would Mo Rocca leave CBS to take the gig?

Last edited:
And he has a successful show that comes on 30 minutes after the Daily Show goes off.

Are there any other SNL alums that have the altitude for it?

If Hardwick were to take over TDS, I'd throw my tv off the roof and boycott all of entertainment for allowing such an atrocity. Yes, I'm a hater, he's the worst.

My Hardwick theory is based on TDS fundamentally changing away from politics and towards entertainment, with The Nightly Show taking over on politics. Agree that Hardwick can't host a political show. But Comedy Central loves him, and his demo skews young. Mo Rocca's audience is old as dirt on CBS, and his cooking show is even older.

Assuming it stays political, whoever hosts TDS will be immediately compared to both Stewart and Oliver, who are the best in the business. It's a tough gig to take over.

Does anyone really believe that, after 26 years of running The Daily Show, Stewart doesn't already have is replacement picked?

Last edited:
Does anyone really believe that, after 26 years of running The Daily Show, Stewart doesn't already have is replacement picked?

I believe he doesn't already have it picked. I also believe a lot of folks are kissing the ring about now. I think they'll get a big name. The list of potential candidates is long. Comedy Central is in a much stronger position than it was all those years ago. The Daily Show has launched many careers. It's a king- and queen-maker job now. I really wouldn't be surprised if they got someone on the level of a Tina Fey.

Jessica Williams officially took her name out of the running. Figures, although he's a hot young talent who should get more of a profile going forward. They may be grooming her for her own show anyway.

Going back a few posts: as a David Cross fan, he's not the right fit, IMO. Way too abrasive / mean-spirited for TDS.

Back