• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs have just passed the 1/3 mark of the season. The manager and five of the eight position players are different. There are a couple new pitchers and new assignments for several others. The bench has been a rotating mystery due to injuries. I'm curious. How do other Cub fans assess this team and what expectations do you have for the future?

You'd have to be quite the cynic to be in any way disappointed with the team thus far. Five games over, currently tied for one of the playoff spots (ahead on win %). Great starting pitching, most of the young guys playing beyond their years, adequate or better contributions from the vet position players. The bullpen is the only real thing that needs work, and I'll take that being the one problem area as its the easiest to fix.

The future is obviously very bright, but said before and will say again -- I think we'll be in contention until the very end this year

I don't think anyone will come up until next week, if then. Give the AB's to Lake, Baxter, or Herrera (he earned them with some timely hits against the Nats). Cubs seem most comfortable with 13 pitchers and the Tigers are capable of bruising a bullpen. If someone on the 40 man roster smokes it for the next week and the bullpen is rested, we might see a call up. Leaves the bench weak and limited but that's been the case all year. Maddon appears comfortable sticking with his starters.

I don't know, that really hurts roster flexibility, which Maddon loves. It leaves him with 3 bench bats, likely switch hitter in Herrera, righty Ross and whichever matchup isn't playing in Cogs or Lake - one IF bat, one OF bat and a C - tough if anything happens or a player needs to come out of the game.

Have to think they get another bat for the AL games, but you never know.

I don't know, that really hurts roster flexibility, which Maddon loves. It leaves him with 3 bench bats, likely switch hitter in Herrera, righty Ross and whichever matchup isn't playing in Cogs or Lake - one IF bat, one OF bat and a C - tough if anything happens or a player needs to come out of the game.

Have to think they get another bat for the AL games, but you never know.

Actually, would imagine Lake is the DH in this scenario, so Baxter would be the other bat, and he can play first or corner outfield, so that might be doable, but thats a really thin offensive team.

Actually, would imagine Lake is the DH in this scenario, so Baxter would be the other bat, and he can play first or corner outfield, so that might be doable, but thats a really thin offensive team.
I agree. I'm not a fan of 13 pitchers and 12 position players but that has been the case as often as not for the past 2 seasons. The other question is... would do you bring up. Baez was the best option for DH but he is hurt. Beyond the starting eight this team is thin. I'd like to see a veteran infielder to join Denorfia on the bench.

Guessing they drop down to 12 pitchers. Could try Kyle, but there are better options than throwing him in the fire IMO.

It's only six to eight at bats this week since we're only playing two games in Detroit. Next week I imagine we might be bolder as we've got 5 @ CLE and MIN

Given how management has approached Baez and Bryant, I believe Schwarber won't see the bigs until September at the earliest. Russell's call up occurred earlier than anticipated due to need. LaStella was injured and Baez was injured and then had to attend to family affairs after the death of his sister. Alcantara's April performance was a flop and he had lost confidence. Russell was left and it doesn't appear as if he is going to leave the everyday lineup anytime soon, if ever.

Given how management has approached Baez and Bryant, I believe Schwarber won't see the bigs until September at the earliest. Russell's call up occurred earlier than anticipated due to need. LaStella was injured and Baez was injured and then had to attend to family affairs after the death of his sister. Alcantara's April performance was a flop and he had lost confidence. Russell was left and it doesn't appear as if he is going to leave the everyday lineup anytime soon, if ever.

I think you're right yet I can't help but think that Schwarber is ready to hit major league pitching today. The position question is what may slow him down.

I'm pretty excited for this two game set. Should be a good one and we have our two top pitchers going. Hopefully Lester gets back on track tonight.

Olt, Alcantara and Baez all looked good out of the gate but faded quickly due to lack of consistent contact. Lake looked good for a longer period and when he did fade he still kept his average above .200. The same could happen to Soler, Bryant and Russell. They just seem to have a more patient approach at the plate and seem to make better contact when they get their pitch. They also seem to contribute in clutch moments more frequently.

Rafael Soriano signed for $4.1 million with incentives. Hope he has something left in the tank. On a different note, I hate watching opponents make highlight reel catches to rob the Cubs of a 2 run HR. Bah!

Especially when it comes off the bat of David Ross. We're only going to glean so much offense out of that bat

Yeah I don't like Montero in the cleanup. I don't mind Rizzo/Bryant batting 2/3 but with Soler out we need to find someone to adequately bat that fourth spot for the time being. I'm not sure who we would put there though as the lineup currently sits.

Lester hasn't been sharp the last three starts. He's not working the plate as well as he previously did - not hitting all his spots.

Yeah I don't like Montero in the cleanup. I don't mind Rizzo/Bryant batting 2/3 but with Soler out we need to find someone to adequately bat that fourth spot for the time being. I'm not sure who we would put there though as the lineup currently sits.

Lester hasn't been sharp the last three starts. He's not working the plate as well as he previously did - not hitting all his spots.

Montero is fine as a cleanup hitter, hes got pop and a solid OBP - hes just struggling after a pretty hot start. And really, there is no other option. Struggling Castro? Junior Lake? Chris Denorfia? Addison Russell? Cogs?

Rafael Soriano signed for $4.1 million with incentives. Hope he has something left in the tank. On a different note, I hate watching opponents make highlight reel catches to rob the Cubs of a 2 run HR. Bah!

He will work in the minors first, and the contract is prorated, so not that bad - and he really only makes a decent amount if he hits a bunch of incentives.

But, man, looking at his splits from last year, he was horrid the second half of the year - 40 baserunners in 25 innings of work.

Montero is fine as a cleanup hitter, hes got pop and a solid OBP - hes just struggling after a pretty hot start. And really, there is no other option. Struggling Castro? Junior Lake? Chris Denorfia? Addison Russell? Cogs?

Yeah after I said he shouldn't be batting at the fourth spot and then tried to name a replacement nobody came to mind at all.

Back