• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Coughlan is .317 over the past 15 games. Castro is .262. Slide Montero to sixth behind them, then Denorfia. When his bat wakes up move Montero back to 4th. He's a good RBI guy but he's in a bad slump. Take some pressure off.

He will work in the minors first, and the contract is prorated, so not that bad - and he really only makes a decent amount if he hits a bunch of incentives.

But, man, looking at his splits from last year, he was horrid the second half of the year - 40 baserunners in 25 innings of work.
Let's hope he gets confused and he pitches like the first 37 games of 2014. I'd be happy with 4 earned runs in 37 innings for a 0.97 ERA. His best season was 2010 pitching for Maddon. Maybe lighting will strike twice.

BTW, I still think the pen will be OK. I'm good with Strop, Rondon, Grimm, Russell and Motte. Woods is a pro and will adjust to his role. Edwin J. is fine in the role he had last night, but that is all. There is something to be said for not needing to use 3 or 4 relievers to finish out a loss. Add Soriano, Ramirez and Medina, the Cub pen could be strong.

Last edited:
Cubs returning the favor so far tonight. Up 6-0 going to the bottom of the 5th. Jake looking really solid and we're getting a ton of offensive help. Coghlan absolutely bombed his ball to right field for a three run shot. Tigers not playing well at all on either side - chased their starter Greene after three innings.

Bombs away! Cubs win 12-3. BlackjackMc learns crow is best served cold and with a bib. If a little trash talk is all it takes to wake up a Cub bat, I'll move to the landfill and use a sheet for a bib.

His bat woke back up. In style

Yep he was stroking it last night. That was a fun game to watch. Arrieta gave up a lot of hits but it was fine since we were putting up so many runs. Good to see the bats come alive and secure a winning nine game road trip.

So the Tennessee Smokies are going all KC Royals with 7 players on the AA all star team - Schwarber, Vogelbach, Contreras, Black, Pena, Batista and Francescon. Good to see this - hopefully means Contreras gets a chance to move up to AAA to catch full time and see what Schwarber can do behind the dish - would also seem to be good trade bait moving forward as we have our MLB catcher for next year assuming Montero doesn't die and (hopefully) our C of the future in Schwarber if he can stick. Also, I had barely ever heard of PJ Francescon - 26 years old in AA is never exciting, but he is lighting up these kids, 0.74 ERA in 24 innings of relief work.

The Cubs also drafted a Kris Bryant clone - but mainly in the looks department, Matt Rose, 11th round third baseman from georgia state:

Doppelganger.jpg

Montero not taking kindly to our trash talking. Another bomb - tonight a three-run dinger in the first.

Woods might have an opportunity to earn a start if he puts up zeros. Maddon doesn't seem enamored with Wada.

Yeah as someone posted last week or so Wada has done about as well as he possibly could have. I wouldn't mind trading someone for a solid young starter. Castro maybe? Who knows though - maybe still early to be thinking about that.

I kinda feel bad for opponents who get the pitcher out as the last guy of the inning then have to turn around and go Russell, Fowler, Rizzo, Bryant. Yikes.

Bats are still hot. They got the game on right beside the CLE-GS game at the sports bar. Solid way to work myself into a Vegas weekend.

Hasn't Wada actually put up pretty good advanced metrics?

I dont think it matters, he hasn't gone more than 5 innings in any start - makes me think back to the rich harden days - 5 decent innings, but never more. With our pen, we need someone that can go 6+ consistently.

I dont think it matters, he hasn't gone more than 5 innings in any start - makes me think back to the rich harden days - 5 decent innings, but never more. With our pen, we need someone that can go 6+ consistently.

Now I'm angry thinking about trading away josh donaldson for rich harden - ugh. I mean, harden looked decent was just way too fragile.

Back