• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Bullpen has been worked hard and there are 14 consecutive playing days before a day off. It appeared as if Maddon was determined to keep Strop, Grimm, Wood and Russsell on the bench. Arrieta needs to step up tonight.

Saw Maddon met with Wada this weekend. He's going tomorrow night and Maddon said he is excited to see what comes of it. Hopefully he gives us 6. Lots of baseball coming in a row.

Still don't get why we are giving Mike Baxter a roster spot and not letting Mendy have a shot, he's opsing near .900 in AAA, he will get plenty of playing time with Soler hurt.

Schwarber will e going to AAA after this week - but hes going to be back soon - hoping he blasts.

Welcome to the bigs Schwarbs

Love that they're bringing him up, even if only for a week. I've been watching Schwarber since he was a freshman at Indiana. What you're going to love about him is much like Bryant, he's a power hitter with incredible plate discipline. He's also a far better athlete than you see from most catchers.

Are we eventually going to move him to left field or do we want to keep him at catcher long term?

Obviously he will DH for us for this stint.

Are we eventually going to move him to left field or do we want to keep him at catcher long term?

Obviously he will DH for us for this stint.

All reports seem indicate that they're committed to keeping him at catcher. Still, he can and has played a solid left field (both at Indiana and in the minors), so my assumption is that if he proves his bat needs to be in the lineup, that's the likelier option at least in the short term.

I know the general MLB thread is discussing this already.. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sports/baseball/st-louis-cardinals-hack-astros-fbi.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0

But it deserves posting here as well. For fans of the Deacs and the Cubs, we're (hopefully) about to enter a world in which UNC and St. Louis have both been identified by the mainstream media as dirty, rotten, cheaters. God Bless America.

That's an incredible story. I can't think of a worthwhile precedent if its' proven but the punishment would have to be severe.

Throw in the Pats as well for us Cackilackians who chose the Cubs over the Barves and are still sore ab SB 38.

As the saying goes, the wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine

I know the general MLB thread is discussing this already.. [URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sports/baseball/st

Funny, the Cards don't even need to cheat with 11 World Series titles and the best front office in baseball. That is why the Astros went after Jeff Luhnow and made him their GM. But you can't have anybody doing this kind of cheating, so let the investigating begin. It still won't help the hapless Cubbies overcome their ineptness or the Braves overcome them being the Buffalo Bills of baseball, but still, the Cards can't be doing this stuff.

How's this for Schwarber's one year as a professional ball player?

He debuted in pro ball on June 13, 2014, and played a total of 129 minor league games over the last 12 months. In that time, he has a .333 average, 31 homers, 92 RBIs and a 1.043 OPS. This year at Double-A Tennessee, he batted .320 with 13 home runs and 39 RBIs.

Interesting move bringing Schwarber up for a six game road test. The present Cub management is certainly a breath of fresh air. They have planned their work and are beginning to work their plan. I suspect the results on the field are better than they (or I) anticipated. I hope Schwarber goes off and blisters it just to see what the front office would do.

2015 Chicago Cubs Thread: 34-28, Kyle time

Didn't see it either but nice. 17-0 victory to night.

Also got an ESPN alert about Theo saying he was planning on being active before the trade deadline and the Cubs were going to go for it. Or something like that.

Cubs administer the most lopsided shutout victory in interleague history to the Indians 17-0. All ten position players had a hit and scored a run. Yes ten. Baxter subbed for Rizzo in the ninth. Indians used seven pitchers and two position players on the mound. Maddon's talk with Wada emphasized keeping things simple, not giving the hitter so much respect and being aggressive. Wada responds with seven innings of four hit, no run pitching. Yoervis Medina, up from AAA to replace Rosscup, completes the shutout with two hitless innings. Rosscup on the 15 day DL. BTW, Schwarber goes 4 for 5 in his first start.

N.L. Central is pretty solid so far this year. Top three teams in the division are better than everyone else in the NL except for the Dodgers.

Back