• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Cubs win the rubber game of the series with the Twins 8-0. Jake Arrieta pitched a four hit complete game shutout. Rizzo scored the first run off a sac fly by Castro and doubled the lead to 2-0 with his 15th HR of the season. Kyle Schwarber stretched the lead to four with a bases loaded single. Dexter Fowler turned a miserable day at the plate into a wonderful day with a grand slam HR in the eighth. In six games with the Cubs, Kyle Schwarber scored six runs and had 6 RBI's. Think we might see him again in the near future? This team will have it's ups and downs, but it is beginning to show some grit as well as competitiveness. They will need every bit of it, as they come home for four games with the Dodgers and three at the St.Louis

Last edited:
Dodgers have been a shitty team on the road, but sucks we get Kershaw to start things off

Supplement to DaDeacs info about the Eugene Emeralds...Kevonte Mitchell (LF), Eloy Jimenez (RF) and Ian Happ (CF), the 2015 #1 draft pick, are the outfield and top of the Emerald's lineup. Worth keeping tabs on.

Happ is 4/13 so far in 3 games with 2 HR, one off Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma, who was rehabbing down there.

Also, Neil Ramirez's second outing in AA, 1 IP, 3 Ks all swinging. Mike Olt started his rehab in AA too - goes 1-3 with a double and two walks. Both would be solid options on the team soon - have not seen who got called up after Schwarber was sent down.

Rumor is the Cubs are talking to the Angels about starting pitching - not sure who, hoping its Richards - not sure who else we would be after. Santiago maybe, but hoping its Richards.

Everyone not on the MLB roster (sans Schwarber) is supposedly available.

Paging Baez. We shall see though.

Gonna be out at a bar watching the women's world cup game, hoping they'll throw on the Cubs since Kershaw is going.

Paging Baez. We shall see though.

Gonna be out at a bar watching the women's world cup game, hoping they'll throw on the Cubs since Kershaw is going.

Baez's injury hurts his value - I doubt Epstein just gives up on him for less than he's worth. There are plenty of other pieces with McKinney, Contreras, Alcantara, Edwards, Batista, Pinyero, Black, Vogelbach, Pierce Johnson or Albert Almora that can be moved. I'm hoping the Cubs can do a cheap swap for Zobrist to shore up our bench - he isn't going to command much as he is FA at the end of the year - then look to fill the rotation spot.

Also, the report I was reading said Epstein was looking for a reliable 3rd starter behind Lester/Arrieta for the playoffs - so, guessing he isn't going to trade for a middling starter if he is looking for someone better than Hammel. There has been nothing I have read about it, but would love to see the Cubs somehow finagle Shark away from the Sox for not much, he would look great coming back to the NL - and the sox should be sellers.

Starting pitcher goes 2 innings.
Facing Kershaw.
We still win.

#wearesofreakingood

Da, is your read that he doesn't think Hammel is strong enough to be that third guy?

Helluva game by Bryant and the bullpen last night. Always great to win game one, much less against Kershaw.

Will be at Wrigley tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing Bryant.

Da, is your read that he doesn't think Hammel is strong enough to be that third guy?

Helluva game by Bryant and the bullpen last night. Always great to win game one, much less against Kershaw.

Not necessarily that Hammel definitely cannot be, but I think Epstein is looking for a 1C type starter, which goes with them trying to get James Shields and their interest in David Price.

From the targets I have seen, the Cubs are looking for young and controllable pitching versus a rental - which would mean they are likely looking to trade some top talent. I would love to see them keep top talent and move a handful of middle talent for someone like Cueto, Hamels or Shark - but we'll see.

Just read an article throwing around CJ Wilson and Dan Haren. Yuck.

I mean, I guess either are decent options, but only at a low price - CJ is owed $20 million next year and Dan Haren is average.

So who are our realistic All-Stars?

I'm guessing Rizzo, maybe Bryant.

Can't imagine anyone else.

Rizzo, Bryant, Arrieta and Hammel sound reasonable, but I doubt Cubs get four. Maddon deserves some recognition. If amyone had suggested the Cubs would be eight games over .500 at this point in the season I would have laughed.

Yeah I was thinking Arrieta, maybe Hammel, but neither are in the Top 10 in the NL in any significant statistical category.

Yeah I was thinking Arrieta, maybe Hammel, but neither are in the Top 10 in the NL in any significant statistical category.

Arrieta is 6th in fWAR, 8th in Ks, 5th in Wins - his ERA is a little higher, but I think he gets in if he keeps it up. Hammel has work to do.

Cubs win 1-0 in ten innings. Hammel pitches 7.2 innings of shutout ball. Rondon, Strop and Motte finish up. Baxter, Szczur, Fowler and Denorfia contribute to the run in the tenth. Gotta smile when your bench secures your win. It is what winning teams do.

Arrieta is 6th in fWAR, 8th in Ks, 5th in Wins - his ERA is a little higher, but I think he gets in if he keeps it up. Hammel has work to do.

Hammel had a good one last night.

Also, read today that if the Pads decide to be sellers, the Cubs would be very interested in Tyson Ross - likely package would need to be crazy (like potentially more than Hamels) - but could be doable with Baez and maybe 2 more top 10 prospects.

Also, Vogelbach blasted a 3-run bomb in the AA all-star game last night. Theo needs to make a move on him quick - his numbers are still good, but have been trending down over the past few weeks. He is blocked from ever making it up to the Cubs (most likely) and has value now as a guy that could be less than a season away - especially for an AL team.

Dream scenario would be to get Chris Sale when he goes on the market, but like Shark, not sure the Sox will trade cross-town.

Back