• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I am not able to watch this game, but a schwarber triple? What the...

Everybody assumes that Schwarber is slow because he's a catcher and it's just not true. The guy is surprisingly quick for someone with his build. He had something like 12 triples in 3 years at Indiana.

I went to the Blackhawks parade this morning which was just a few blocks from my office and it was as cool as you'd expect. The team and the Cup moved through the City on top of double decker busses, and then went on to Solder Field for speeches, etc. Anyway, it just got me thinking about how crazy this city will be when the Cubs finally do it. We're talking about letting go of 100 plus years of frustration.

So Schwarber has the tools and likely ability to be as good if not better than Bryant or Russell, and would love to see him in the bigs next year - although we may not need him yet if Montero can keep hitting. But this scouting report on his speed made me laugh:

Baserunning/Speed 40: Below-average runner, slow first step; not station-to-station yet but will eventually be a base-clogger.

Everybody assumes that Schwarber is slow because he's a catcher and it's just not true. The guy is surprisingly quick for someone with his build. He had something like 12 triples in 3 years at Indiana.

I mean, he's not fast.

I went to the Blackhawks parade this morning which was just a few blocks from my office and it was as cool as you'd expect. The team and the Cup moved through the City on top of double decker busses, and then went on to Solder Field for speeches, etc. Anyway, it just got me thinking about how crazy this city will be when the Cubs finally do it. We're talking about letting go of 100 plus years of frustration.

I had tickets to two world series games in 2003 - I will effing be at the game win it happens, no doubt. Likely drunk, probably disorderly - but there nonetheless.

As per Maddon's instructions, this is Wada's unsolicited description of himself, "I am badass." Can't make this stuff up. Seemed to work last night.

Word is Theo is focused on shoring up the starting staff before potentially looking at pen or bench help. I would still love to see Zobrist - that would really help, he could immediately come in and basically start every game by giving Cogs, Denorfia, Castro and Russell days off.

Also, Neil Ramirez first rehab assignment in AA looked good. It's all coming together, now we just need those pesky Pirates to stop winning.

Did I see correctly that the Pirates' starters have allowed one earned run in the last seven games?

Also, fingers are crossed Theo can get someone to take EJax now that his numbers look respectable, despite the fact that he is turrible in high leverage situations. EJax is owed $13 next year and probably $8ish more this year - so throw in $12 million, makes him potentially reasonable as a long reliever, spot starter. Well, maybe reasonable.

It's all relative. He's not fast relative to most position players but he's definitely fast relative to most catchers.

I think he still has 40 speed.

It was a weird play because it was going fast enough to get by the first baseman but the right fielder was waaaaay far away.

Cubs lose 4-3. Kyle Schwarber hit a 2 run HR. Team seemed to fold after the rain delay. On to Minnesota.

Cubs short season A ball team Eugene started its season yesterday. Excited to see how Eloy Jimenez works out - hes 18, but was the #1 international prospect two years ago and was projected to be better than Gleyber Torres (who is hitting well in South Bend and projecting well as a leadoff style hitter, .383 OBP, 10 steals and a great, but mistake prone, fielder).

Have a few other top Cubs down there, 20 year old Carson Sands was a 4th round pick last year and has a live fastball (struggled a bit last night, but worth watching). Kevonte Mitchell was a 13th round pick from a couple of years ago that would have likely gone much sooner but he had told people he was going to play basketball, instead Cubs overpay for him - he is going to work in CF and has lots of speed. Also, Jae Hoon Ha, who hit a homer in a the futures game a couple of years back is playing here now because he can no longer hit, so he is going to work as a pitcher - interesting.

For the series against Minny, I like our odds - we got Hendricks going up against Hughes tonight who should give up a few long balls to the Rizzo/Schwarber/Bryant trio - tomorrow is Lester versus the best starter they have in Trevor May - seems like a good time for a Lester bounce back against an AL team. Sundays game is Arrieta versus Kyle Gibson, who should also give up a homer or 2 in that game. I think we walk out 2-1 at the worst. But, I have been wrong before.

I saw the numbers on Ramirez. He can take time to get to full strength. Staff ERA is fourth in the NL and seventh in MLB. Anyone know the status of Soler, Olt or LaStella? Denorfia has been OK in RF but I'd prefer to see Soler return and Denorfia on the bench. Herrera has provided depth in the IF and a timely bat in the clutch. I would hope LaStella and Olt could strengthen the bench but would prefer an accomplished vet. Zobrist would be just fine.

Cubs lose 7-2. Both Cub runs courtesy of two Rizzo solo HR's. Hendricks had nothing. To answer my own question...Olt began a rehab assignment at Tennessee tonight and Soler took BP, apparently in Minnesota with the Cubs. No clue regarding La Stella. Cubs need Lester to be a stopper tomorrow. Edit...BTW...Edwin J. with three innings of shutout relief. What a bargain!

Last edited:
Supplement to DaDeacs info about the Eugene Emeralds...Kevonte Mitchell (LF), Eloy Jimenez (RF) and Ian Happ (CF), the 2015 #1 draft pick, are the outfield and top of the Emerald's lineup. Worth keeping tabs on.

Cubs win 4-1 in ten innings. Starlin Castro hits a bases loaded single in the tenth to give the Cubs a 2 run lead. Denorfia adds an insurance run with an RBI single. Lester stops the 2 loss skid with 6.1 innings of one run pitching. Bullpen with 3.2 innings of shutout relief. Bullpen ERA since May 23 is under two.

Back