• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

Huh?

That article on Hinton was weirdly biased against Wolford.

I thought so too. Maybe Clawson will start using the press to play mind games with certain players ala Jim Grobe.

Based on the scrimmage, I'd say that the competition at the QB position is for back-up. Wolford is clearly the starter. In fact, if we can provide pocket protection, he could end up being one of the best QBs ever at WF.

Dan Collins retracted his earlier report that Duke Ejiofor played in the scrimmage. He had written in a previous article that Ejiofor didn't start with the ones initially but played roughly the same number of snaps with the ones as the starters did. He is now confirming that Ejiofor sat out the entire scrimmage with an injury. So that is consistent with what I posted and bprince89 also noted. Collins did say that Ejiofor was a "projected starter" which caught my attention, and is consistent with what Hondo posted a week or so ago.

And then you have Shaw and JTJ backing up the DEs? Would be nice to have Floyd in that mix

And then you have Shaw and JTJ backing up the DEs? Would be nice to have Floyd in that mix

Combining previous info with what I saw on Saturday, I think Dunn/Ejiofor are the starters but Shaw and Chris Stewart will see a lot of snaps via rotating linemen to keep them fresh. Ali Lamot might even see the field depending how deep the rotation goes.

Some thoughts on Saturday’s scrimmage that I didn’t have time to write until today. Sorry for the length - I got a little carried away.

THE QBs

John Wolford had a very efficient 15-for-21 day. An important thing to note is that I think he might have been completely free of any passes being tipped, deflected or batted down at the line. Those issues really plagued him last season. It is also important to note that he saw 100% of the snaps with the 1st team offense. Makes you wonder if there is really a QB competition going on. The negative thing that I would point out is that he looked about as effective on the designed runs as he did last year. Not good. Maybe they were actually busted plays.

Kendall Hinton gave us a good reminder that he is a pass-first QB that happens to be a very good runner. I don’t view him as a running QB that is looking to develop his passing skills - although I admit that those passing skills weren’t exactly on display in the second spring scrimmage or the spring game. On Saturday he looked more like the Hinton from the first spring scrimmage. Actually he was probably better. He had some nice intermediate throws plus the deep ball to Brent. Personally, I thought he showed good velocity when he tried to stick a ball into a tighter space. He was routinely under duress operating behind the second team OL. Lots of collapsed pockets. I am eager to see if Hinton can repeat his performance in the next 2 scrimmages. I am also eager to see him work with the first team offense. I think it make sense to give him some time with that unit, even if the goal is just to prepare him as a backup.

My view of Kyle Kearns performance is biased by the fact that I am so familiar with the scouting report / conventional wisdom on him. To use baseball scouting terminology, his arm strength was reportedly “plus” and his accuracy “plus-plus”. Poor to very poor mobility though. I think we saw the arm talent on Saturday, even if his stats were hindered by pass completions being called back because of penalties, dropped passes and the general sloppiness that came from playing with the third team. He was sacked at least a couple of times, maybe more. He couldn’t escape the rush but it was also on him very quick. Plus a touch was a sack in the scrimmage rules. But when he got time to drop back you had the sense that a REALLY good ball was going to come out of his hand. A nice day overall for a kid who has been on campus for about six weeks now. I think he is going to be a lot of fun to watch develop. (As a side note his scouting report is also that he has plus-plus aptitude and coachability).

FAVORITE PLAYS

Offense: I thought the Hinton-to-Brent TD pass was the most impressive play of the game. Brent got a lot of separation and Hinton put the ball on the money.

Defense: Josh Okonye exploded into a receiver that had just made a reception near the sideline. And it wasn’t like he was coming downhill. It was from his CB position. Enough short-area burst that the ball came loose (although the offense recovered). It reminded me how Okonye created the turnover on special teams in the Boston College game last season. Just a huge play that gave Wake a chance in that game. I hope the staff can find a good way to utilize Okonye’s skill set.

OTHER NOTES

While Wake seems to be developing some depth on the interior of the OL, the lack of depth at tackle is starting to terrify me. It’s the position that we can least afford an injury. I guess if Justin Herron or Phil Haynes were to suffer an injury then Dylan Intemann would step in, but after that the situation looks bleak.

I thought it was interesting that Herron has moved over to LT. I’m assuming that has more to do with Herron’s progress than Haynes lack of progress.

I was surprised by Matt Colburn’s build. He is sturdy looking. I don’t know why I was expecting a scatback type. Probably because Rivals classified him as an all-purpose back, or maybe because of all the attention on his speed. He’s short (for sure) but he is not small. I recall now that during recruiting he said that he said that enjoyed the tough, physical runs. A big question will be whether he can avoid injuries with that running style. Some believe he was already starting to break down in high school.

I am eager to see how the running backs are used. I have seen some 2016 recruits mention that Coach Hunter and Coach R want a system where the carries are distributed among a number of RBs. I am interested to see whether this happens are how the carries are split (situationally? by possession?). I think guys like Colburn and Dez Wortham could be more effective with limited workloads that keep them fresh and/or healthy.

Alex Bachman is an interesting guy. Trying to compete at WR after not really playing there at all in HS. He seemed to be getting open pretty easily from his slot position, but we didn’t see the sure hands that we heard that he showed at Wake’s camp last year. A couple of drops on nice throws from Kearns.

I continue to think that Steven Claude will have a great career at Wake, but I’m biased from following him through last year’s recruiting cycle. He looks fast and very athletic. Ironically his best play on Saturday probably came when he had to deflect a pass away from a DB after he and Kearns didn’t get on the same page on a deep route.

I’m guessing the practice of frequently rotating DLs during a defensive possession may carry over into the season. As long as the opposing offense isn’t in hurry up mode. If there is a lot of rotating it looks like redshirt freshmen Chris Stewart and Willie Yarbary will see a fair share of snaps, as we see the start of the Clawson recruits making their way onto the defense.

94 -

Couple kids not mentioned....what about Pike, Dawson and Matthews ? And did we practice any KO's and who was the kicker ? Thanks.

Lots of news on minor injuries in this piece from Dan Collins: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/deacons-dealing-with-injuries/article_f880ff2a-c4ec-5d77-bbe5-da05fd5e367e.html

Tylor Harris is in jeopardy of missing Elon. Duke Ejiofor and Brad Watson suffered concussions. Devin Gaulden had minor surgery on his thumb and will miss a week. Isaiah Robinson has joined Rocky Reid on the sidelines - which means that Matt Colburn and Tyler Bell are probably getting a lot of meaningful reps in practice.

94 -

Couple kids not mentioned....what about Pike, Dawson and Matthews ? And did we practice any KO's and who was the kicker ? Thanks.

Pike was with the twos (as would be expected). I didn't pay enough attention to the LBs or kickers.

Handicapping the chances of redshirts being burned in the Elon game:

Locks: Kendall Hinton, Tabari Hines, at least 2 RBs, Garrett Wilson (long snapper)

Likely: Chuck Wade

Possible: Amari Henderson and Dionte Austin

Outside Chance: Jessie Bates

I think Chuck Wade has a good chance of beating out PJ Howard for the backup role behind Tabari Hines.

Amari Henderson and Dionte Austin are likely competing against Thomas Dillon, Josh Okonye and maybe others for the backup jobs behind Brad Watson and Devin Gaulden. Both freshmen have missed time recently making this situation even more difficult to handicap.

I’m listing Jessie Bates because he saw time with the 2nd team on Saturday, however that may have been because Ryan Janvion and Cameron Glenn were out with injuries and some guys had to move up.

There may still be other names with an outside chance.

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't pick on Dan Collins since his camp coverage has been very worthwhile reading, but I can't resist pointing out that the hot takes in this article link includes discussion of "Park Black" and "Kahlil Wilson".

I probably shouldn't pick on Dan Collins since his camp coverage has been very worthwhile reading, but I can't resist pointing out that the hot takes in this article link includes discussion of "Park Black" and "Kahlil Wilson".

Noticed this too. Poor.

Handicapping the chances of redshirts being burned in the Elon game:

Locks: Kendall Hinton, Tabari Hines, at least 2 RBs, Garrett Wilson (long snapper)

Likely: Chuck Wade

Possible: Amari Henderson and Dionte Austin

Outside Chance: Jessie Bates

I think Chuck Wade has a good chance of beating out PJ Howard for the backup role behind Tabari Hines.

Amari Henderson and Dionte Austin are likely competing against Thomas Dillon, Josh Okonye and maybe others for the backup jobs behind Brad Watson and Devin Gaulden. Both freshmen have missed time recently making this situation even more difficult to handicap.

I’m listing Jessie Bates because he saw time with the 2nd team on Saturday, however that may have been because Ryan Janvion and Cameron Glenn were out with injuries and some guys had to move up.

There may still be other names with an outside chance.

Other than Tabari and Wade I'm sure Bachman, Washington, and Claude will RS. The Brent addition probably saved Washington for a year.

And he's using last year's weights in regards Harris and Banks too.

Just heard about Crump down in Jacksonville. Doesn't sound good. He is our leading returning WR. 32 catches last year.

Back