• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

And by the way, for any of you who are not familiar with Central NY State, the area really is beautiful and the game is early enough that you won't have to worry about snow, of course. It really is one of the most scenic places around, with crystal-clear lakes, waterfalls, you name it. The water supply for our house in Skaneateles is literally a pipe that runs from the house into the lake. There is a filter, of course, but that's it. The water can be 20 feet deep and you can see the bottom as clear as day. If you haven't made the trip it is worth giving it a try even if the Carrier Dome is a hell hole. The 'Cuse football fans are also good people. Couple of douchebags like everywhere but 99% of them are good sports and just want to see the kids put on a good show and be competitive. Basketball gets a little more intense, of course.

Lots of D-line news here: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/banks-returns-for-defensive-boost/article_6ddfd5f2-e895-50ee-a169-a2d115686dbb.html

Josh Banks is now practicing on a limited basis

Confirmation that redshirt freshmen Willie Yarbary, Chris Stewart and Rashawn Shaw have likely earned themselves a place in the rotation. Maybe 30-40 snaps.

Chris Calhoun has been the top true freshmen DL in camp. Ahead of Paris Black, Elontae Bateman and Kahlil Welsh.

ETA: Word is that Jared Crump's knee injury is an ACL tear.

Last edited:
Good Morning Wake Forest fans! I'm a Syracuse guy just stopping over to talk football. Curious as to how you guys feel about Coach Clawson so far?

He's a guy that we're familiar with here in Upstate, NY and I always like to see our own do well. I've had the opportunity to hear him speak at some coaching clinics/conventions in the past, seems like a really enthusiastic guy with a great knowledge of the game.

Is anybody making the trip up Sept. 12th? First time or return trip?
He's from Western NY, not upstate

Lots of D-line news here: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/banks-returns-for-defensive-boost/article_6ddfd5f2-e895-50ee-a169-a2d115686dbb.html

Josh Banks is now practicing on a limited basis

Confirmation that redshirt freshmen Willie Yarbary, Chris Stewart and Rashawn Shaw have likely earned themselves a place in the rotation. Maybe 30-40 snaps.

Chris Calhoun has been the top true freshmen DL in camp. Ahead of Paris Black, Elontae Bateman and Kahlil Welsh.

ETA: Word is that Jared Crump's knee injury is an ACL tear.
Fuck

And by the way, for any of you who are not familiar with Central NY State, the area really is beautiful and the game is early enough that you won't have to worry about snow, of course. It really is one of the most scenic places around, with crystal-clear lakes, waterfalls, you name it. The water supply for our house in Skaneateles is literally a pipe that runs from the house into the lake. There is a filter, of course, but that's it. The water can be 20 feet deep and you can see the bottom as clear as day. If you haven't made the trip it is worth giving it a try even if the Carrier Dome is a hell hole. The 'Cuse football fans are also good people. Couple of douchebags like everywhere but 99% of them are good sports and just want to see the kids put on a good show and be competitive. Basketball gets a little more intense, of course.

Good Stuff! Skaneateles Lake is gorgeous, as well as, like you said, much of the State.

i've been a couple times. beer is cheep enough that by halftime you don't notice the heat.

Or, quite honestly, the team for a solid stretch of the last decade. Love our Orange though!

You're obviously not from Western NY, then

Nor you, obviously. There's Upstate and Downstate. Downstate consists of NYC and Long Island. Upstate is everything else.

When talking about Western, Central and Northern, those are different ways to classify.

Regardless, I didn't come here to talk geography.

Uh, yes I am. What a clown.

Lol, to the guy who doesn't know how his own state's broken out.

Doesn't surprise me that this is what you're focusing on. Just wanted to talk football. Glad to meet you.

I am the rare (I think) Wake alum who has a house near Syracuse. I live down near NYC but we have a little house up on Skaneateles Lake, which is about a half hour from the Carrier Dome. I will definitely drag my 55-year-old ass over there for the game. I will also try to make the Army game as our everyday home is not too far from West Point. If any Theta Chis from the late 70s/early 80s are reading this and want to come up for either game just PM me and you can stay with us. We have plenty of room.

If you're looking for a great place to tailgate, there's a large group called the Fine Mess that holds tailgates everyone is welcome to. A lot of times opposing fans end of having a great time here. If you're looking for any details the most fans congregate at syracusefan.com. It's definitely our most active message board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

"Upstate New York is a region of the U.S. state of New York north of the core of the New York City Metropolitan Area."

Finwad32 - 1; siff - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York

Western New York is the westernmost region of the state of New York. It includes the cities of Buffalo, Rochester, Niagara Falls, the surrounding suburbs, as well as the outlying rural areas of the Great Lakes lowlands, the Genesee Valley, and the Southern Tier.

There is disagreement as to whether the term "Upstate New York" includes western New York—some consider "Upstate" to consist of all of New York State outside Long Island and the New York City metropolitan area (and thus include western New York), while others consider "Upstate" to include only the northern part of New York

Finwad32 - (0.5); siff - 1; loh - no clue

Back