• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Summer Thread

3 completions from Kearns to Claude gives the offense its first TD of the day. Impressive drive by the 3s.

Nice catch by Cortez Lewis on a ball that was under thrown gives the ones their first TD

Tyree Harris with the TD reception from Hinton when they started practicing red zone situational. Tyree has has a nice day. Much better than the first scrimmage.

Tyree Harris with the TD reception from Hinton when they started practicing red zone situational. Tyree has has a nice day. Much better than the first scrimmage.

Good, I hope Tyree can be more than a flash in the pan he was 2 years ago. How's the O-line looking?

Overall a very discouraging scrimmage for the offense, especially the running game. Very few big plays. I think the longest run was maybe ten yards. I’d like to know how many runs went for five yards or more. My guess is very few.

Tyler Bell was with the ones almost the entire scrimmage before leaving with what looked like a minor ankle injury. Matt Colburn was generally with the twos, but got one rotation with the ones even before Tyler Bell got injured. Dez Wortham saw two series with the twos. Rocky Reid worked exclusively with the threes. Reid looked ordinary for much of the scrimmage before flashing (a little) towards the end when he had a nifty reception for approximately 8 yards pass and then came back with about a 10-yard run. Reid’s run might have been the offense’s longest of the day. Isaiah Robinson didn’t play.

KJ Brent, Cam Serigne and Tabari Hines contributed little. Tyree Harris was solid but not spectacular – mostly with the twos. Cortez Lewis had a nice TD pass from Wolford. Lewis adjusted to a ball that Wolford underthrew under pressure.

Neither Hinton nor Wolford impressed. Kearns is getting comfortable running the threes. The drive where he hit Claude three times was the offense’s best showing of the day. By far.

It’s possible that the offense didn’t have a single play of 25 yards or more (after having 5 in the first scrimmage). There were two receptions that might have been 25 yards (Lewis and Claude).

Thomas Dillon looked like he saw a lot of time with the ones with Devin Gaulden sitting out with an injury.

DE Chris Calhoun is clearly rising up the depth chart. Looks like a candidate to play as a true freshmen.

More details coming this evening. Let me know if anyone has questions.

I would be interested in how Kearns performs against the 2's. The 3's must be awful

Not really surprising I guess, the defense kind of took it on the chin last week so I'm sure they were very motivated today. Being realistic I'm only expecting the offense to go from horrible to just not good this year. Expect the offense to look a bit better for the last scrimmage.

I tried to pay close attention to where players were lining up on defense today. There were a number of surprises. Also a lot of mixing and matching since this scrimmage was the final trial before the depth chart is more or less set.

First some position changes since last year / last spring:
Zack Wary looks like he is an LB (was a Rover previously)
Deonte Davis is a Safety (was a CB)
Teddy Matthews is playing Rover (was a LB)
Demetrius Kemp is playing Rover (was a safety)

DEFENSIVE END
(Note: Duke Ejiofor sat out with a concussion.)
First Team: Mostly redshirt freshmen Rashawn Shaw and Chris Stewart. True freshman Chris Calhoun also saw significant time with the ones (started two series).
Second Team: Primarily Chris Calhoun and Wendell Dunn. Ali Lamot also saw significant time with the twos.
Third Team: Split between Julian Jackson, Ali Lamot and Paris Black.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
(Note: Tylor Harris and Josh Banks both sat out)
First Team: Willie Yarbary and Zeek Rodney
Second Team: Elontae Bateman and Kahlil Welsh
Third Team: Reid Althoff (walk-on) with either Bateman or Welsh

LINEBACKER
First Team: Brandon Chubb, Marquel Lee and Jaboree Williams split the 2 LB positions evenly. Williams look like he will play a key depth role and is clearly ascending.
Second Team: Mostly Zack Wary and Nate Mays. Kalin McNeil had 2 series with the twos.
Third Team: McNeil and Mays.

ROVER
First Team: Hunter Williams, although Demetrius Kemp had some time with the ones as well.
Second Team: Split between Kemp and Teddy Matthews
Third Team: Justin Strnad

CORNERBACK
(Note: Devin Gaulden and Amari Henderson were out with injuries)
First Team: Mostly Brad Watson and Thomas Dillon, although Dionte Austin and Josh Okonye each had at least one series with the ones.
Second Team: Split between Austin, Okonye and Jalen Latter
Third Team: Jalen Latter and Johnny Armstrong

SAFETIES
First Team: Thomas Brown generally had one spot and the other was split between Ryan Janvion and Zach Dancel
Second Team: Cameron Glenn was almost always out there with the twos. The other spot was typically either Janvion, Dancel or Deonte Davis.
Third Team: Deonte Davis and Jessie Bates

Last edited:
Not really surprising I guess, the defense kind of took it on the chin last week so I'm sure they were very motivated today. Being realistic I'm only expecting the offense to go from horrible to just not good this year. Expect the offense to look a bit better for the last scrimmage.

I think I overheard someone say that today was the final scrimmage.

Looking over the stats and it looks like the top two RBs on the depth chart going into today - Tyler Bell and Matt Colburn - combined for just 46 yards on 19 carries (a 2.4 yards per carry average). I'm also realizing that the d-line that they were facing was missing three starters because of injury. Ugh.

Looking over the stats and it looks like the top two RBs on the depth chart going into today - Tyler Bell and Matt Colburn - combined for just 46 yards on 19 carries (a 2.4 yards per carry average). I'm also realizing that the d-line that they were facing was missing three starters because of injury. Ugh.

If you take that a step further, that also means that the 2nd string defense was actually using 3 presumed 3rd-string guys on the defensive line. In truth, the offensive line should be dominating right now.

I tried to pay close attention to where players were lining up on defense today. There were a number of surprises. Also a lot of mixing and matching since this scrimmage was the final trial before the depth chart is more or less set.

First some position changes since last year / last spring:
Zack Wary looks like he is an LB (was a Rover previously)
Deonte Davis is a Safety (was a CB)
Teddy Matthews is playing Rover (was a LB)
Demetrius Kemp is playing Rover (was a safety)

DEFENSIVE END
(Note: Duke Ejiofor sat out with a concussion.)
First Team: Mostly redshirt freshmen Rashawn Shaw and Chris Stewart. True freshman Chris Calhoun also saw significant time with the ones (started two series).
Second Team: Primarily Chris Calhoun and Wendell Dunn. Ali Lamot also saw significant time with the twos.
Third Team: Split between Julian Jackson, Ali Lamot and Paris Black.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
(Note: Tylor Harris and Josh Banks both sat out)
First Team: Willie Yarbary and Zeek Rodney
Second Team: Elontae Bateman and Kahlil Welsh
Third Team: Reid Althoff (walk-on) with either Bateman or Welsh

LINEBACKER
First Team: Brandon Chubb, Marquel Lee and Jaboree Williams split the 2 LB positions evenly. Williams look like he will play a key depth role and is clearly ascending.
Second Team: Mostly Zack Wary and Nate Mays. Kalin McNeil had 2 series with the twos.
Third Team: McNeil and Mays.

ROVER
First Team: Hunter Williams, although Demetrius Kemp had some time with the ones as well.
Second Team: Split between Kemp and Teddy Matthews
Third Team: Justin Strnad

CORNERBACK
(Note: Devin Gaulden and Amari Henderson were out with injuries)
First Team: Mostly Brad Watson and Thomas Dillon, although Dionte Austin and Josh Okonye each had at least one series with the ones.
Second Team: Split between Austin, Okonye and Jalen Latter
Third Team: Jalen Latter and Johnny Armstrong

SAFETIES
First Team: Thomas Brown generally had one spot and the other was split between Ryan Janvion and Zach Dancel
Second Team: Cameron Glenn was almost always out there with the twos. The other spot was typically either Janvion, Dancel or Deonte Davis.
Third Team: Deonte Davis and Jessie Bates

Sheldon Lewison not even on the 3 deep?

He didn't show up in my notes at all. Same with Grant Dawson. I'm assuming they were sitting out, but maybe I just didn't notice them.

If they were sitting out, hopefully it was because of something minor. 94, you're doing some really good work, much appreciated!

94, How bad are we going to be this year compared to last year ? Like 10% better or 20% better ?

94, How bad are we going to be this year compared to last year ? Like 10% better or 20% better ?

My personal opinion? I’ll be very candid and say that I think this is a 2 win team. 3 wins would be a nice accomplishment. I remain very optimistic about the direction of the program and longer term potential and I’m concerned that fans are going to lose patience this year. The fact is that youth is rising all over the depth chart. That’s great for the long-term. For this year? Not so great.

Some other thoughts:

I don’t think you will be as embarrassed by the offense this year. Every position group on that side of the ball looks improved. But by how much? I still don’t see much explosiveness. Hopefully people haven’t forgotten how bad we were last year. That should be the measuring stick.

I think we are 1-2 key injuries away from having an offensive line every bit as bad as the beginning of last year. Depth is a real concern. I also think that Herron and Haynes could struggle mightily at times as they gain experience. TWO redshirt freshman tackles in the starting lineup? Yikes.

I am not as pro-Wolford as everyone else seems to be. He seems like a great kid with poise, maturity and moxie beyond his years. But from a pure talent standpoint he seems like a low-ceiling type to me. Am I the only one that thinks this? He does give us the best chance to win right now though.

I’m curious what others who have attended the scrimmages think. I don’t claim to be some great talent evaluator.

I hope that people get excited about the opportunity to see a lot of young talent on the field. Lots of guys that will have 2-3 years of eligibility remaining after this season. Wake needs people in the stands supporting the young team.

My personal opinion? I’ll be very candid and say that I think this is a 2 win team. 3 wins would be a nice accomplishment. I remain very optimistic about the direction of the program and longer term potential and I’m concerned that fans are going to lose patience this year. The fact is that youth is rising all over the depth chart. That’s great for the long-term. For this year? Not so great.

Some other thoughts:

I don’t think you will be as embarrassed by the offense this year. Every position group on that side of the ball looks improved. But by how much? I still don’t see much explosiveness. Hopefully people haven’t forgotten how bad we were last year. That should be the measuring stick.

I think we are 1-2 key injuries away from having an offensive line every bit as bad as the beginning of last year. Depth is a real concern. I also think that Herron and Haynes could struggle mightily at times as they gain experience. TWO redshirt freshman tackles in the starting lineup? Yikes.

I am not as pro-Wolford as everyone else seems to be. He seems like a great kid with poise, maturity and moxie beyond his years. But from a pure talent standpoint he seems like a low-ceiling type to me. Am I the only one that thinks this? He does give us the best chance to win right now though.

I’m curious what others who have attended the scrimmages think. I don’t claim to be some great talent evaluator.

I hope that people get excited about the opportunity to see a lot of young talent on the field. Lots of guys that will have 2-3 years of eligibility remaining after this season. Wake needs people in the stands supporting the young team.

So, you're thinking we beat Elon and Army and hopefully pick another one somewhere? I've thought coming into this season we could be a better football team and only win as many games (or less) than we did last year. Of course, the closer the season gets the more optimistic I become that we will be better than what is probably realistic.

No, you're not the only one. Man, as bad or worse than last year. Woof.

Back