• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Definitely rooting for Cantlay to lose based solely on how unbelievably slow he plays.

Yeah, he and DeChambeau now appear to be the 2 slowest guys out there. Not a fan of either 1. Plus DeChambeau comes across a bit douchey. That said, it's still fun to watch a tournament on that layout. That Lombardy course was also pretty.

Not sure I understand the USGA playing 3 straight women's opens in Alabama, Houston and Charleston. I didn't remember anything about Shoal Creek after that forgettable PGA with Wayne Grady winning there. Not that impressed. Tough course for the women but not particularly scenic, and it was in crappy shape from all the rain. Even without the rain, why do you want to play 3 straight opens in 100 degree weather? The next 3 should be better - Olympic, Pine Needles and Pebble. Haven't played Pinehurst or Pine Needles yet, but a friend raved about Pine Needles.

DeChambeau looked like he was taking soil samples before he hit that putt on 18 in regulation. Slow as shit.

He’s the guy at your club that you don’t know and you draw him in the next round of the match play tournament. You feel pretty good about your chances when you see him set up over the ball on the first tee, but he turns out to be a really good player.

DeChambeau is a huge douche. Guy I know carried the marker for his group a while back. He berated a rules official, whined incessantly, yelled at a fan, cursed up a storm, and treated his caddie like garbage. As soon as the cameras were on it was "yes sir, no sir" and big smiles. All bullshit.

Definitely rooting for Cantlay to lose based solely on how unbelievably slow he plays.

I hope his response to Balionis after the round gets the officials to do something....

Paraphrasing since I can't find the video or quotes

Balionis: Did getting put on the clock do anything to change how you played?
Cantlay: Nothing changed on how I approached anything.

His scores say otherwise, but....

DeChambeau looked like he was taking soil samples before he hit that putt on 18 in regulation. Slow as shit.

He’s the guy at your club that you don’t know and you draw him in the next round of the match play tournament. You feel pretty good about your chances when you see him set up over the ball on the first tee, but he turns out to be a really good player.

Wow. Quite an accomplished asshole for only twenty-four years old. Dude can play, though.

DeChambeau is a huge douche. Guy I know carried the marker for his group a while back. He berated a rules official, whined incessantly, yelled at a fan, cursed up a storm, and treated his caddie like garbage. As soon as the cameras were on it was "yes sir, no sir" and big smiles. All bullshit.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I shall now root against him with impunity.

Edited to add, didn't he also have an issue with dropping out of a tourney last year where he was playing on a sponsor's exemption?

Last edited:
Yeah, he and DeChambeau now appear to be the 2 slowest guys out there. Not a fan of either 1. Plus DeChambeau comes across a bit douchey. That said, it's still fun to watch a tournament on that layout. That Lombardy course was also pretty.

Not sure I understand the USGA playing 3 straight women's opens in Alabama, Houston and Charleston. I didn't remember anything about Shoal Creek after that forgettable PGA with Wayne Grady winning there. Not that impressed. Tough course for the women but not particularly scenic, and it was in crappy shape from all the rain. Even without the rain, why do you want to play 3 straight opens in 100 degree weather? The next 3 should be better - Olympic, Pine Needles and Pebble. Haven't played Pinehurst or Pine Needles yet, but a friend raved about Pine Needles.

You must not remember how hot it was in Pinehurst the last time the Women's open was at #2.....

Is DeChambeau's swing what used to be known as "Natural Golf"...the one plane swing patterned after the guy in Canada?

You must not remember how hot it was in Pinehurst the last time the Women's open was at #2.....

Yeah, though the men seem to have fared better with the weather at #2. But at least it's Pinehurst #2, even if it is 100 degrees. Shoal Creek, and the Charleston and Houston courses that aren't special aren't worth 100 degrees. Even worse they scheduled it the same weekend as the Memorial. If you want folks to watch it, schedule it opposite the St Jude. But weather is the reason they have rarely scheduled US Opens or PGAs at deep southern courses over the last 20-30 years. The only ones that can think of are #2, Southern Hills and this year at Bellrive. I mean why do that 3 years in a row when you can go to multiple historic courses in Philly, NYC, Boston, Rochester, Ohio, Michigan, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Seattle and all over California. Michael Whan is doing a great job with the tour and the regular events, but the USGA isn't holding up to their part of the bargain when they're holding the Open at Shoal Creek, that nothing course in Lancaster PA and other courses in the deep South that haven't hosted big events in the past.

Wrong DeChambeau is the man. Most definitely in my top my favorite golfers. He is not in it to be a DC country club brooks brother bro, he plays his game and kicks ass doing it.

Wrong DeChambeau is the man. Most definitely in my top my favorite golfers. He is not in it to be a DC country club brooks brother bro, he plays his game and kicks ass doing it.

Well, Arnie was in it to win also and he was not of the country club set; but he was a gentleman nonetheless. Rudeness and abrasiveness are not necessary to winning.

He can be a complete dick, and then flip to super awkwardly nice in front of the camera. Also is overly obsessive about the physics of the golf game. Wouldn't be surprised if he's on the spectrum (NTTAWWT).

He can be a complete dick, and then flip to super awkwardly nice in front of the camera. Also is overly obsessive about the physics of the golf game. Wouldn't be surprised if he's on the spectrum (NTTAWWT).

I mean I haven’t seen any real proof of that besides 3rd and 4th party speculation, he is a weird dude and that effects people’s opinion of him in a negative way. He is clearly not well liked on tour that is pretty obvious.

Thought it was a bit douchey in the playoff when his two competitors hit shots well right, he did the "headed right" gesture a little too emphatically in their faces.

Thought it was a bit douchey in the playoff when his two competitors hit shots well right, he did the "headed right" gesture a little too emphatically in their faces.

Was my thought exactly at the time.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but Zalatoris qualified for the US open.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but Zalatoris qualified for the US open.

On a pseudo-related note, two time PGA tour winner this year Patton Kizzire isn't qualified. What does it take to qualify? Something about that stinks

On a pseudo-related note, two time PGA tour winner this year Patton Kizzire isn't qualified. What does it take to qualify? Something about that stinks

Top 60 in world rankings are exempt, but several other exemptions apply (10 year exemption for winning US Open, etc). Adam Scott and Keegan Bradley were non-exempt, sectional qualifiers

Back