• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Not only is 72 holes the standard for championship golf, four periods of play is also the standard for football and all basketball except for US men's college basketball.

The problem with golf is that it has such a limited history to draw from. 72 holes for a tournament? It took like 150 years before we started using that as a standard for big tournaments, so we only have 125 years of precedent for it. So it's basically just like changing the NFL kickoff rules or moving the 3 point line in the NBA.

Having talked to some randoms about LIV at this point, the audience is shaping up pretty clearly. And it's not young people or folks that don't understand golf all that well, etc. It's the guys that love everything that surrounds golf but don't really give a shit about the sport, its history, or its traditions, or the hard work that goes into being really good. I'm sure most on this thread know that guy you run into at a country club who is obsessed with how elite a course is, how fast the greens are even though he sucks at putting, how wealthy the membership is, the drinks and food after the round, and a betting system that makes sure he still has a shot to win even if he gets drubbed for 17 of 18 holes. He's got his name embroidered on his cart bag and a set of clubs a year old at most. He cuts every corner, fluffs every lie, picks up every short putt, and breaks 80 every time you're not playing with him somehow. He hangs out with really good players whenever he can to feel like he's one of them, he loves telling everyone how his buddy Steve shot 65 today.

The reason Trumpers and LIV folks are so intertwined is because you can just replace politics/governing with golf in the above. Nobody can tell you Trump's policy platform for the same reason nobody had actually seen him hit a golf ball prior to this week. All that matters is the money, influence, power, attention, and elitism that comes with pro golf and politics.

Back to the actual sport, can Finau suddenly putt after a decade of poor putting? I've always liked him, and it's nice to see him win a bit more. And I enjoyed the Detroit and Fairmont courses. I need to make it to St. Andrew's one time.

Back to the actual sport, can Finau suddenly putt after a decade of poor putting? I've always liked him, and it's nice to see him win a bit more. And I enjoyed the Detroit and Fairmont courses. I need to make it to St. Andrew's one time.

really excited for the women's british this weekend, presented by AIG of course.

I think golf’s closest comparison sport is tennis. There the grand slam events (for the men) are best of 5 sets. But most events on tour are best of 3. I have no idea if that has always been the case (I think Wimbledon has always been best of 5). But it seems to suggest that having 72 hole events along with 54 hole events makes some sense, depending on the prestige of the tournament.

I watched about 10 minutes of LIV yesterday. It wasn’t close so it wasn’t compelling. I watched about 20 minutes of the Rocket Mortgage. It wasn’t close so it wasn’t compelling.

Had Stenson been up 1 with 3 to play while Finau was running away with his event, I would have watched LIV. It seemed like pretty much any other golf telecast.

If LIV schedules primarily against the weaker PGAT events, and you know that all of them will be playing every week, and they keep getting better players, what would ever be the justification for watching the Rocket Mortgage v the LIV event on Sunday afternoon as a default? Moral outrage due to Saudi involvement? The fact that the players only played 2 full days instead of 3 full days before Sunday? I just can’t see those issues winning the day.

This is why if they can figure out a team structure that truly sets it apart in a compelling way, I think LIV wins this battle. Because even if the individual tournament isn’t close, perhaps “every shot matters” in some way for the teams for that event, or even for the whole season?

High quality "product," that LIV. Stenson had 8 missed cuts, 4 made cuts, 1 WD, and 2 top-25s on the PGA Tour this season. His made his last cut in April (followed by 4 straight MCs between May and July). He then won his first LIV start. It ain't elitism to say the "product" is crap.

High quality "product," that LIV. Stenson had 8 missed cuts, 4 made cuts, 1 WD, and 2 top-25s on the PGA Tour this season. His made his last cut in April (followed by 4 straight MCs between May and July). He then won his first LIV start. It ain't elitism to say the "product" is crap.

But, but it's just that Stenson was bored with the PGA tour and needed a new challenge and that's why LIV is so great because it revives guys that are tired of the brutal lifestyle of the PGA tour, etc, etc, etc.

But, but it's just that Stenson was bored with the PGA tour and needed a new challenge and that's why LIV is so great because it revives guys that are tired of the brutal lifestyle of the PGA tour, etc, etc, etc.

Correct. He never got to see his family except on weekends.

I've always imagined the LIV golf crowd as a convention for that dude at your club with the vanity single digit cap. A collection of those guys you get matched against in your club championship flight and drag by like 20 strokes because they're playing off a 5 but are really like a 23.

The problem with golf is that it has such a limited history to draw from. 72 holes for a tournament? It took like 150 years before we started using that as a standard for big tournaments, so we only have 125 years of precedent for it. So it's basically just like changing the NFL kickoff rules or moving the 3 point line in the NBA.

Having talked to some randoms about LIV at this point, the audience is shaping up pretty clearly. And it's not young people or folks that don't understand golf all that well, etc. It's the guys that love everything that surrounds golf but don't really give a shit about the sport, its history, or its traditions, or the hard work that goes into being really good. I'm sure most on this thread know that guy you run into at a country club who is obsessed with how elite a course is, how fast the greens are even though he sucks at putting, how wealthy the membership is, the drinks and food after the round, and a betting system that makes sure he still has a shot to win even if he gets drubbed for 17 of 18 holes. He's got his name embroidered on his cart bag and a set of clubs a year old at most. He cuts every corner, fluffs every lie, picks up every short putt, and breaks 80 every time you're not playing with him somehow. He hangs out with really good players whenever he can to feel like he's one of them, he loves telling everyone how his buddy Steve shot 65 today.

The reason Trumpers and LIV folks are so intertwined is because you can just replace politics/governing with golf in the above. Nobody can tell you Trump's policy platform for the same reason nobody had actually seen him hit a golf ball prior to this week. All that matters is the money, influence, power, attention, and elitism that comes with pro golf and politics.

DCDeac killin it

Norman on Tucker tonight, apparently. The new alignments are hard to miss. Next year they will have a LIV tournament in Hungary, I imagine.

I have played golf with Donald Trump.

And I love how elite my country clubs are. And I love the handicap system.

I love watching golf. So I love LIV. And its feeder tours as well.

Phil had no top-20s last season until he won the PGA. He had like 6 missed cuts, and finished around 70th a couple of times before the PGA.

Not quite on par with Stenson, but no one is comparing the LIV event to a major, either.

It happens. Particularly in golf and particularly with guys who used to be really good.

Good article on Defector about what a joke this weekends tournament was. And that didn’t even consider that our resident ambulance chaser was there!

I have played golf with Donald Trump.

And I love how elite my country clubs are. And I love the handicap system.

I love watching golf. So I love LIV. And its feeder tours as well.

Amazing post. Especially for a non senior who plays the yellow tees, probably doesn't equate that into his handicap system.

Back