• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

World 176 Henrik Stenson up 4 in his rookie outing!

I'm not seeing it anywhere yet but am hearing that Harold Varner signed with LiV today. Disappointing.

I'm picturing a Masters with Trump. Marjorie Taylor Greene, The Crown Prince, and 9/11 family protesters in attendance. Should be a ratings bonanza.

"After the 2016 election, then-Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was the second world leader to call and congratulate Trump - after getting his cell phone number from Norman.

Norman lives in Florida and grew close to Trump over their shared love of golf. "

Then Norman attended the second State dinner with Rupert Murdoch. Following that the Trump family unloaded $600 billion in debt to the Saudis. Okay Charles Barkley. It just like investing in Apple shares.

Norman's marketing plan is with enough money, we can get 70% of the golf audience to suspend belief in truth.

The Fox News Golf Tour now called LIV.

"Back in 1994, with Norman near the end of his prime, the Aussie devised a plan with countryman Rupert Murdoch for an eight-event World Golf Tour featuring purses that dwarfed those on the PGA Tour and, crucially, offered a white whale for professional golfers: guaranteed money. Essentially, the World Tour sought to expose weaknesses in the PGA Tour model that some say still exist 28 years later. Namely, that the top players are not fairly compensated for the attention they bring to the game. There has always been a schism between the superstars and the rank-and-file on tour, and Norman believed the biggest names would gravitate toward the WGT and its stars-first business plan."

It is not uncommon for a man to get rich while trying for success, but rare is a man who finds success trying to get rich.

It is not uncommon for a man to get rich while trying for success, but rare is a man who finds success trying to get rich.

Sounds like an old wive's tale from the broke Cleaver family.

You have to prioritize making money in your businesses or you won't. This bullshit era is over kids, if you want to ask money advice from your elders be sure their tax return matches their hat.

You have to prioritize making money in your businesses or you won't. This bullshit era is over kids, if you want to ask money advice from your elders be sure their tax return matches their hat.
There comes a time in all reasonably competent people. In fact a day when you realize I have everything I need. And in reality, it's not a lot. $Billions of boomer acquired shit in storage. Their kids don't want it. Who needs to be educated on a Wake Forest board that businesses exit to make a profit? This is 101 shit. Insulting to those gathered here.

Thank goodness there is so much more to the scoreboard of life than tax returns.

Hadnt seen this posted. This would be an interesting outcome....

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/07/31/davis-love-liv-golf-boycott/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20Trending%20Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1h8swUg5KLDl09ZMnarIMznpW0Qg8iR5I7ICcGElRt7NbG6HNPmMH4KnE

“Well, here’s the biggest lever; and it’s not the nice lever,’’ Love told SI. “But if a group of veterans and a group of top current players align with 150 guys on the Tour, and we say, ‘Guess what? We’re not playing,’ that solves it, right? If LIV guys play in the U.S. Open, we’re not playing. If they sue in court, and they win, well, we’re not playing. You know, there won’t be a U.S. Open. It’s just like a baseball strike.’’

Varner may eventually sign w LIV but he’s playing in the Wyndham Championship Pro Am tomorrow so hasn’t happened yet. On a more positive note another great week for Cam Young. Has there ever been a pair of guys (Young and Z) who have been on tour less than 18 months, haven’t won an event but likely combined have won more money in one year and contended in every major.

On another note anyone at the Wyndham Championship this week pick up a program. Great feature on Arnold Palmer and the impact of his scholarship at Wake Forest. It was written by Irwin Smallwood who is in his 90’s now and covered AP when he won the So Con Championship

Anybody planning to go to the Wyndham should leave now to access that gates due to the expected throngs.

Please, tell me how to run a business. LOL

Oh and the Cleaver family is/was a pretend family. As is your claim of wealth.

Varner may eventually sign w LIV but he’s playing in the Wyndham Championship Pro Am tomorrow so hasn’t happened yet. On a more positive note another great week for Cam Young. Has there ever been a pair of guys (Young and Z) who have been on tour less than 18 months, haven’t won an event but likely combined have won more money in one year and contended in every major.

We'll see what comes out but I was told by a friend whose son is friends with Varner that the son was on the course with Varner and watched him sign.

Just some random LIV musings...

Played golf this weekend with three guys I didn't know. Starting talking about LIV - the general consensus was that competition is a good thing and the moralizing over the Saudi involvement is hypocritical ("The Saudi's aren't good, but they're more of an ally to the US than China, and the PGA tour seems to have no problem with China" etc.). Obviously a sample size of three but was interesting nonetheless. After the round while grabbing beers in the clubhouse, the Rocket Mortgage was on half the TV's, and the LIV event was on the other TV's...also interesting.

I watched a few minutes of the LIV event today - while I still think a lot of it is stupid, anyone who thinks this thing is going to magically disappear or implode is being wilfully ignorant. Yes, the team names are awful, and the shotgun format just feels wrong. But there were a few thousand people there...you had drunk New Yorkers yelling "Baba Booey" and "Mashed Potato" just like you would at the Northern Trust or Barclays or whatever other Tour event is held in the tri-state area. It's definitely a "real" thing at this point.

I think the people latching onto things like the format, team names, etc. are missing the point - all of that is irrelevant right now. All that matters is that this thing exists and is moving forward. They'll run focus groups, they'll modify stuff (they already have announced some of this in recent weeks regarding team structure/format in upcoming seasons), and this thing will evolve. The longer it simply exists, the more of an existential threat to the Tour it is.

Think about it from the perspective of an average Tour player. Tony Finau had to beat 144 guys this week to take home $1.5M. Henrik Stenson beat about 15 legitimate players and 30 jerkoffs and made almost 3x what Finau did. At some point that math outweighs a lot of other things.

Back