• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lol at the new WakeWill campaign

I was talking to a guy who went to W&L who has decided he can't afford to send his kids there and he was actually suggesting that there should be a tuition break for legacies. I tried hard not to laugh, but didn't really do very well.

Your link doesn't say any of that. Also, my kids aren't eligible for a Pell Grant..

I think the data on that page changed (or it rotates?), or else I made a mistake and linked the wrong page. Either way, sorry about that.

Here's the info:
Diversity | Undergraduate Admissions | Wake Forest University
143%: Increase in economic diversity Fall 2007 to Fall 2012. #2: National rank in economic diversity increase in this time among all U.S doctoral institutions.
admissions.wfu.edu/campus-life/diversity/

You can see it here, though I can't find any detail on how it was calculated (though other sites seem to use the # of Pell grants in the formula). http://www.wfu.edu/search/?cx=01558...&sa=&cof=FORID:11&siteurl=http://www.wfu.edu/

I've never met anyone in a professional context in the Boston area who didn't know what or where Wake Forest was (well I should say most know that it's in North Carolina, the ones who didn't knew it was in the south and in "one of the Carolinas"). I'd say 80% of the time upon finding out they say something to the effect of "oh wow that's a good school."

As an aside I've been surprised at the number of people outside of the Carolinas/The South who don't really differentiate North and South Carolina in their minds.

The fact that Rafi doesn't see that what he is posting is exactly the response that has most people upset is telling. I don't give a shit what the figure says about percentage of North Carolina applicants or that Harvey Mudd costs 64,000 a year. People that went to Wake care that the university is losing its identity, the people in charge are tone deaf, that sports suck, and that the administration is like every other school which is to money grab and bloat. Your comparison to other schools, your number facts don't mean shit because this is the school I went to. This is the school im passionate about and the only fact that matters to me is how the university is being perceived and right now it's poor to very poor.

I've read this a couple of times and am not sure what to make of it. Maybe it's sarcasm? If so, well done. If not, then it reads something like this, "I don't care what the 'number facts' [this term was used above] say, hot take anecdotes show that Wake is losing its identity!!1!!"

People are really just concerned that sports suck. If Wake was good at basketball and football then this wouldn't even be a conversation.

Also, ASD;BC love to complain about shit.

Well this particular part of the campaign is only tone deaf because we're not doing well in basketball.

NC and SC are branded together. Panthers and Hurricanes. Even James Taylor didn't specify which one he was talking about.

This nebulous and indeterminate "identity" that everyone here is so upset that wake has lost or is losing is nothing more than hand-wringing over bad performances and lack of success in football and basketball. Nothing more and nothing less.

Most of us chose to go to Wake for sports or at least fell in love with Wake while we were there because of sports. And now we suck at the two important ones. Watching on TV is our only consistent connection to the University, because most of us don't live in Winston.

I challenge anybody to go to a Wake home soccer game and say that Wake has lost its identity. Or to walk across the mag quad on a Spring day and feel any differently about MSD. With the exception of a few new buildings, a few more persons of color, and some useless administrators that share offices in parts of Reynolda that we never see, its the exact same god damn school. The problems with administrative bloat and facility wars and increasing enrollments are manifold in higher education right now, and I don't know that a solution is imminent or even possible. But I do know that saying that Wake Forest has lost its identity is just some nonsense bullshit you think after turning off a basketball game at halftime and then reading the manic musings of 50-something family men on the internet that count Wake football and basketball as their only emotional and nostalgic outlets.

I feel y'all here, because I do the same fucking thing twice a week, and it kills me. But jumping to the conclusion that Wake has somehow fundamentally changed because a group of non-alumni marketing majors who don't know a damn thing about sports thought it would be cool to pit all of the departments at Wake against each other as part of a fundraising campaign is reactionary, short-sighted, and millennial. Did you see the campaigns we ran before Wake will? They were just as awful. I'm not giving any extra money to Wake because I get an email about "Streakin' Deacons," but there are probably a number of Wake alumni that will because the performance of our sports teams does not for them define Wake Forest.

This nebulous and indeterminate "identity" that everyone here is so upset that wake has lost or is losing is nothing more than hand-wringing over bad performances and lack of success in football and basketball. Nothing more and nothing less.

Most of us chose to go to Wake for sports or at least fell in love with Wake while we were there because of sports. And now we suck at the two important ones. Watching on TV is our only consistent connection to the University, because most of us don't live in Winston.

I challenge anybody to go to a Wake home soccer game and say that Wake has lost its identity. Or to walk across the mag quad on a Spring day and feel any differently about MSD. With the exception of a few new buildings, a few more persons of color, and some useless administrators that share offices in parts of Reynolda that we never see, its the exact same god damn school. The problems with administrative bloat and facility wars and increasing enrollments are manifold in higher education right now, and I don't know that a solution is imminent or even possible. But I do know that saying that Wake Forest has lost its identity is just some nonsense bullshit you think after turning off a basketball game at halftime and then reading the manic musings of 50-something family men on the internet that count Wake football and basketball as their only emotional and nostalgic outlets.

I feel y'all here, because I do the same fucking thing twice a week, and it kills me. But jumping to the conclusion that Wake has somehow fundamentally changed because a group of non-alumni marketing majors who don't know a damn thing about sports thought it would be cool to pit all of the departments at Wake against each other as part of a fundraising campaign is reactionary, short-sighted, and millennial. Did you see the campaigns we ran before Wake will? They were just as awful. I'm not giving any extra money to Wake because I get an email about "Streakin' Deacons," but there are probably a number of Wake alumni that will because the performance of our sports teams does not for them define Wake Forest.

It might surprise you that many people can actually differentiate Wake Forest from Wake Forest Sports.

It might surprise you that many people can actually differentiate Wake Forest from Wake Forest Sports.

And what areas would you say Wake needs to work on outside of athletics?

Tuition price?
Admin bloat?
What about Wake specifically to you is causing it to "lose its identity".

The first two every school experiences, and Wake is well aware of it.

I'll help you out district. Don't be afraid to say what you feel. It's all of that damn Yankee filth that's infiltrated OUR city and OUR University. It ain't your daddy's WFU no more and I say we build a fucking wall!! That's the only way that we get our identity back.

Buttermaker the new way this board operates is too confusing to me as a old guy and Wake has literally sucked every bit of life out of me. Have to spend my time where I get some return. I don't recognize anything about my school anymore. It is a soulless university that looks way too much like Duke minus the successful sports programs. We have a president and AD that when asked what is going on, serves up a double shit sandwich and tells everyone its caviar. They can kiss my ass.

This is fantastic.

And accurate.

I'll help you out district. Don't be afraid to say what you feel. It's all of that damn Yankee filth that's infiltrated OUR city and OUR University. It ain't your daddy's WFU no more and I say we build a fucking wall!! That's the only way that we get our identity back.

Hell yeah! Build a wall and have Duke pay for it! Stupid Yankee scum ruining everything! We need to go back to the 1950s WFU! The SOUTH will rise again!

You know what? I don't think so. At least not the people posting on this thread.

Every single basketball game we lose, even in double-overtime, results in calls for the dismissal of the fucking University president. How many people on this thread can right now tell me about the enrollments in their academic major? Which professors have retired and which new faculty we've appointed in your home department? Maybe you get periodic updates from your fraternity or college. That's just fundraising too.

Wake Forest is for us the sweet hat we wear and bumper sticker we display that give us the opportunity to talk about our college experience or our fandom -- the exaggerated stories we tell at the neighborhood barbecue about how many cool things we did in our early twenties. But most of all it is the performance of our football and basketball teams year in and year out, which gives us a chance to reminisce or complain about how different it was back in our day and to talk shit to our co-workers. Without sports success, we're too embarrassed to even wear that deacs hat or talk shit at the water cooler. That's your loss of identity right there.

You know what? I don't think so. At least not the people posting on this thread.

Every single basketball game we lose, even in double-overtime, results in calls for the dismissal of the fucking University president. How many people on this thread can right now tell me about the enrollments in their academic major? Which professors have retired and which new faculty we've appointed in your home department? Maybe you get periodic updates from your fraternity or college. That's just fundraising too.

Wake Forest is for us the sweet hat we wear and bumper sticker we display that give us the opportunity to talk about our college experience or our fandom -- the exaggerated stories we tell at the neighborhood barbecue about how many cool things we did in our early twenties. But most of all it is the performance of our football and basketball teams year in and year out, which gives us a chance to reminisce or complain about how different it was back in our day and to talk shit to our co-workers. Without sports success, we're too embarrassed to even wear that deacs hat or talk shit at the water cooler. That's your loss of identity right there.

Not me bro. I continue to talk excessive shit to my UNC and Dook colleagues at work. There's still some low hangin fruit out there to demean a hole or Dookie.

Back