• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Star Wars thread (Ahsoka)

I think the main criticism of individual episodes is that many of them are stand alone episodes that don't obviously move a larger plot or narrative along.

You can still show the “journey” of Mando, who it’s hard to give a shit about considering that he speaks behind a helmet in monotone.

The show is at risk of devolving into a Star Trek spinoff, with a series of unrelated, often throwaway episodes. I’m a sucker for the revisited Mos Eisley cantina and the sidebars with the Jawas, but don’t feel the need to visit more deeply some of the species that we’ve seen in other movies just for the sake of forcing them in an episode.

The reason we are in the golden age of television is because tv shows have opted to do longer, more fleshed out character and story arcs. You can provide more detail and characterization in 10 episodes than you can in a movie or even a trilogy, and certainly more than you would in the old standalone episode format. Maybe you could pull it off if you had the quality of writing that you do in The Crown, but you don’t.

I think they are doing a decent job showing Mando's journey. I can certainly see the other side. Subtly vs more overt in a way.

Star Wars thread (Baby Yoda y'all)

It is a Star Wars spin-off with a series of mostly unrelated episodes. That’s fine.

Different species are in the show because different species are in the Star Wars universe. I don’t think they’ve visited them deeply at all. I don’t think we know that much more about Jawas or Tusken Raiders than we did before.

I don’t understand the last paragraph. Maybe you want a different kind of show than this is all together. Maybe there will be a Star Wars show like The Crown one day.

This show a western about a lone warrior trying to survive while taking care of a kid with a bounty on its head. It’s a collection of well done short stories.

PH hit the nail on the head. It ain’t the Sopranos b. It is what it is supposed to be. Derivative of Western tropes in a good way, and entertaining as hell.

Perhaps we are both looking too hard. You for reasons to praise it and me for reasons to see where it falters. I’m still onboard, but the seven samurai part 4 and a mercenary episode with sons of anarchy guy, Bill Burr, Clancy Brown, and other fanboys/girls isn’t a good look, especially if you want to set up a Kenobi series that you want people to watch.

I guess I’m thinking that the bar has been raised on tv the last 15 years. I don’t want this to be a tv series that should’ve existed 20 years ago.

I’m not looking for anything. I see what they’re doing and I appreciate it.

I think we did learn more about jawas. The original trilogy painted them more as scavengers surviving in a harsh world climate. Ep2 painted them as pretty awful. Finding a few droids wandering around and selling them seems different that who they acted in that episode.

I do agree about overthinking it. I'm enjoying the ride for what it is rather than wanting it to be something (whatever that might be) and being upset it's not.

I don’t think either portrayed the Jawas as sympathetic or villainous.

Speaking of ride, the new Rise of the Resistance ride at Hollywood Studios has been getting rave reviews when it works and when people can get on.

Mandalorian spoiler

They see a ship locked up and steal everything they can carry. Guy comes to get his stuff and their eventual agreement is he has to go kill a poor mommy mud rhino that's just hanging out so he can steal the egg for them to eat. Seemed way more villainous than just scavenging.

Last edited:
That’s a fair point. You should clarify that’s a Mandalorian spoiler and not an Ep 9 spoiler.

It is a Star Wars spin-off with a series of mostly unrelated episodes. That’s fine.

Different species are in the show because different species are in the Star Wars universe. I don’t think they’ve visited them deeply at all. I don’t think we know that much more about Jawas or Tusken Raiders than we did before.

I don’t understand the last paragraph. Maybe you want a different kind of show than this is all together. Maybe there will be a Star Wars show like The Crown one day.

This show a western about a lone warrior trying to survive while taking care of a kid with a bounty on its head. It’s a collection of well done short stories.

exactly, heaven forbid we have a Story of the Week show that isnt' a comedy or another melodramatic First Responder procedural

Apparently the Last Jedi haters are subtweeting huge spoilers all over the place. Be careful out there.

Star Wars fandom is the worst fandom.

I'm a pretty huge star wars fan but I have no desire to go on twitter and try to read spoilers or even go on any gossipy website and read spoilers. I'm just going to wait until saturday when I have my tickets and find out everything while in the theatre.

I'm a pretty huge star wars fan but I have no desire to go on twitter and try to read spoilers or even go on any gossipy website and read spoilers. I'm just going to wait until saturday when I have my tickets and find out everything while in the theatre.

Yup. Tix with the family for Sunday afternoon.

A couple of my go-to reviewers, that is, reviewers I find a high correlation with, were... unkind to the movie.

62%, n =100 on RT atm.

i'm sure there will be things that will annoy me but i'm still excited to see it.

A few reviews I’ve read sound like it’s frenetic with a million plot points

Back