• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Star Wars thread (Ahsoka)

Ouch. 55% on RT. Bummer. They really shat the bed by not having a coherent plan and one director going in. And apparently rushing this one.

Mandalorian Ep 7 is out. The season finale is next Friday.

I watched Mandalorian Ep 7 and TLJ tonight and at least right now I'm more hyped to find out what happens in the Mandalorian season finale than Rise of Skywalker.

Saw it this afternoon. I had purposefully avoided reading much about it so I could see it without any preconceived ideas of what to expect. I thought it did an excellent job of concluding the Skywalker saga. Abrams does a great job of using old characters and settings and ideas in a way that legitimately fits the plot and story of the movie. Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaacs and John Boyega give strong performances. Adam Driver was good but should have had more to do in the story. I found several scenes to be surprisingly emotional. I'm ready to see it again.

Who are the fucktards who gave that movie a negative review?

Saw it this afternoon. I had purposefully avoided reading much about it so I could see it without any preconceived ideas of what to expect. I thought it did an excellent job of concluding the Skywalker saga. Abrams does a great job of using old characters and settings and ideas in a way that legitimately fits the plot and story of the movie. Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaacs and John Boyega give strong performances. Adam Driver was good but should have had more to do in the story. I found several scenes to be surprisingly emotional. I'm ready to see it again.

This pretty much. They did what they needed to do to wrap it up. Much of it was rushed. Some of it was clumsy. Some of it was hamfisted. But I enjoyed it. I'm also glad this is the end of the Skywalker Saga. I look forward to seeing more stories in this universe starting with the Mandalorian season finale.

Found this funny

c06c4336dc67089ede9e08a2092b8173.jpg

Who are the fucktards who gave that movie a negative review?

Yeah I thought it was really good. The beginning was too hectic and obviously the one big unexplained plot component, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. I don't think it is as good a stand-alone movie as The Last Jedi, but I think it serves its primary purpose of concluding the story maybe at the expense of some other things.

Yeah I thought it was really good. The beginning was too hectic and obviously the one big unexplained plot component, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. I don't think it is as good a stand-alone movie as The Last Jedi, but I think it serves its primary purpose of concluding the story maybe at the expense of some other things.

Ditto. I would think most of the Star Wars fans will like it. Clearly J.J. tried to fix some of the things from the Last Jedi that drove the hard core Star Wars fans crazy. Overall, liked it best of 7, 8, and 9.

It was stunningly mediocre. The first half, as already mentioned and as mentioned in several of the reviews, was just a mess. There is no other way to put it. The second half was much better and I was satisfied by the ending. However, without giving anything away I will say that there are too many instances where hey we’re going to pull the rug out from under you here and then put it back in a very predictable way. The humor also felt extremely forced and unnecessary and was not funny. When Scorsese or Coppola or whoever it was wrote that op-ed about the death of cinema, this is what he was talking about.

I agree with a lot of what has already been said. The beginning was kind of all over the place, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the big plot reveal. I'll say more once spoilers are lifted but I am mixed on that. There were emotional scenes that had an impact and some of the humor was good. I agree with some reviews I've read today about it being too safe or predictable and I'm sure once I see it again I will notice more to nitpick.

I can't say definitively yet where I'd rank it because I've seen the other multiple times and this one only once. But, it was more enjoyable than the prequels. That isn't saying much of course. But, there were no obviously terrible lines or acting jobs like those films.

Haven't read any posts here but looks like it's bad. So won't kill myself to try to see it this week. Was trying to rewatch the other two but was realizing I wasn't getting into them either

Haven't read any posts here but looks like it's bad. So won't kill myself to try to see it this week. Was trying to rewatch the other two but was realizing I wasn't getting into them either

I can't recall a movie with a bigger gap between the pretentious movie critic reaction and the actual audience reaction.

It’s not bad and it’s worth seeing. There are things you probably won’t like so your enjoyment comes down to how much you weigh the negative.

I initially was turned off my reveal/first half. But when I simply considered it as an endpoint to the 9 Skywalker movies it feels much better

The ending and last 1/2 to 1/3 was fantastic. And easily the best of the new trilogy

Some fantastic scenes I wish to discuss post spoilers

I initially was turned off my reveal/first half. But when I simply considered it as an endpoint to the 9 Skywalker movies it feels much better.
That’s where I was as well.

on the one hand: it's generally FINE and entertaining, sure

on the other hand: FUCK Abrams. I can't think of another major movie where the plotting and screenplay are this genuinely baffling. the amount of contempt that JJ shows towards TLJ here is astounding, and genuinely distracts from the overall plot. he is AGGRESSIVELY unambitious in his plotting here, and seems to be unwilling to commit to any goddamn decision for the first 90% of the movie, in service of far less interesting plot choices

the acting (specifically from Ridley and Driver) is superb, though, and the cinematography is great and it's all fun enough to look at if you don't think about it too much

Last edited:
Back