• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump will be removed before he can finish his term

Go fuck yourself, Sig. I don't give a damn what you think about anything. And all I will say about PH is that his time utilization in the last 6 1/2 years has to be terrible by any reasonable person's standards. It is simply impossible to adequately perform a full time job that you are being paid to do and raise a family with small children while making almost 80,000 posts on a chat board. There just aren't enough hours in the day. Do the math. He has averaged making a post every 28 minutes for all the time he has been awake for 6 1/2 years. That's from the time he gets up every morning until the time he goes to bed. Every day. For 6 1/2 years. And it takes several minutes to prepare for and make each one of those posts. Most are responses to other posts he has read...which also takes time. When the hell does he have time to do anything other than read posts on this board and make responses to them? 80,000 posts in 6 1/2 years. It is simply mindboggling.

I would be willing to bet that if we took all of the posts that you have made and then deleted (which in itself must have taken a tremendous amount of time), then you would also be at a mindboggling number.

LOL, birdman. Next thing I know, you will be giving me advice on how to make my 49-year marriage work.

Be pussy whipped enough to let your MIL live with you for three decades?

I guess the nepotism had to be repaid somehow.

The establishment is getting scared. I haven't seen much evidence that replacing incumbents with Trump loyalists will cost Republicans the House. This is fearmongering. I certainly haven't seen much "We're going to win the House and impeach Trump" talk from the right. That's seen as a long shot.

To some attendees, the subtext was clear. If Republicans forfeit the House, Democrats will almost certainly create a spectacle that will derail conservatives' agenda and the remainder of Trump's first term -- a spectacle complete with a raft of new subpoenas, a spotlight on the Russia investigation and, many are convinced, impeachment proceedings.

Imagine if our government were to become a spectacle that derails conservatives' agenda.

Listing all the financial misconduct can be overwhelming and tedious. I have limited myself to some of the deals over the past decade, thus ignoring Trump’s long history of links to New York Mafia figures and other financial irregularities. It has become commonplace to say that enough was known about Trump’s shady business before he was elected; his followers voted for him precisely because they liked that he was someone willing to do whatever it takes to succeed, and they also believe that all rich businesspeople have to do shady things from time to time. In this way of thinking, any new information about his corrupt past has no political salience. Those who hate Trump already think he’s a crook; those who love him don’t care.

I believe this assessment is wrong. Sure, many people have a vague sense of Trump’s shadiness, but once the full details are better known and digested, a fundamentally different narrative about Trump will become commonplace. Remember: we knew a lot about problems in Iraq in May, 2003. Americans saw TV footage of looting and heard reports of U.S. forces struggling to gain control of the entire country. We had plenty of reporting, throughout 2007, about various minor financial problems. Somehow, though, these specific details failed to impress upon most Americans the over-all picture. It took a long time for the nation to accept that these were not minor aberrations but, rather, signs of fundamental crisis. Sadly, things had to get much worse before Americans came to see that our occupation of Iraq was disastrous and, a few years later, that our financial system was in tatters.

The narrative that will become widely understood is that Donald Trump did not sit atop a global empire. He was not an intuitive genius and tough guy who created billions of dollars of wealth through fearlessness. He had a small, sad operation, mostly run by his two oldest children and Michael Cohen, a lousy lawyer who barely keeps up the pretenses of lawyering and who now faces an avalanche of charges, from taxicab-backed bank fraud to money laundering and campaign-finance violations.

Of course Trump is raging and furious and terrified. Prosecutors are now looking at his core. Cohen was the key intermediary between the Trump family and its partners around the world; he was chief consigliere and dealmaker throughout its period of expansion into global partnerships with sketchy oligarchs. He wasn’t a slick politico who showed up for a few months. He knows everything, he recorded much of it, and now prosecutors will know it, too. It seems inevitable that much will be made public. We don’t know when. We don’t know the precise path the next few months will take. There will be resistance and denial and counterattacks. But it seems likely that, when we look back on this week, we will see it as a turning point. We are now in the end stages of the Trump Presidency.

Good article, and that third paragraph excerpted above pretty much nails what I think Trump most fears from this probe.

Even if he were to fire Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and then had Mueller and his investigation put on ice, and even if—as is disturbingly possible—Congress did nothing, the Cohen prosecution would continue. Even if Trump pardons Cohen, the information the Feds have on him can become the basis for charges against others in the Trump Organization.

These two sentences give a greater sense that things will eventually turn out OK than anything else since that Tuesday in November 2016.

These two sentences give a greater sense that things will eventually turn out OK than anything else since that Tuesday in November 2016.

Some lawyer on the morning shows stated that, if Trump pardons Cohen, Cohen can no longer assert his 5th amendment rights and would have to answer any and all question. Is that true?

Some lawyer on the morning shows stated that, if Trump pardons Cohen, Cohen can no longer assert his 5th amendment rights and would have to answer any and all question. Is that true?

Logically, if you’re pardoned than there is no risk of self incrimination. So that makes sense.

Good article, and that third paragraph excerpted above pretty much nails what I think Trump most fears from this probe.

Yeah and it’s what all us coastal liberal elites knew all along about phony trump but apparently saying this was awfully arrogant and eletist and it hurt the feelings of middle-American rust-belters who felt alienated when Clinton said horrible things like “jobs of the future” and “clean energy jobs” and “federal spending on education to equip the workforce” and so the spite vote had to be cast, you understand, because Trump was their guy

In my understanding, a pardon removes any possibility of self-incrimination and therefore asserting 5th Am rights becomes unnecessary. However, I don't know for certain whether that means Cohen (or any other person that might be pardoned in the future) would then be compelled to answer questions. I would think it would become a matter that is hugely contested, but a judge could compel Cohen to answer or they could subpoena his testimony under threat of criminal contempt.

In my understanding, a pardon removes any possibility of self-incrimination and therefore asserting 5th Am rights becomes unnecessary. However, I don't know for certain whether that means Cohen (or any other person that might be pardoned in the future) would then be compelled to answer questions. I would think it would become a matter that is hugely contested, but a judge could compel Cohen to answer or they could subpoena his testimony under threat of criminal contempt.

So pardoning him might not be the best decision?

Could he be pardoned of criminal contempt?

Yeah and it’s what all us coastal liberal elites knew all along about phony trump but apparently saying this was awfully arrogant and eletist and it hurt the feelings of middle-American rust-belters who felt alienated when Clinton said horrible things like “jobs of the future” and “clean energy jobs” and “federal spending on education to equip the workforce” and so the spite vote had to be cast, you understand, because Trump was their guy

It's almost as if you find them deplorable

So pardoning him might not be the best decision?

If you want to preserve the possibility that Cohen wouldn't have to testify, not pardoning (i.e., allowing Cohen to keep 5th Am rights) would seem to be the best course of action, though it opens up its own rabbit hole.

It's almost as if you find them deplorable

I find anyone who thinks intelligence is a bad thing and ignorance is a good thing to be deplorable

Back