• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

I am not aware of any rumors that that either of the two guys who left for pro careers this year were pushed out. They rather seem to have voluntarily ended their college careers.

The other departed one finished his degree before leaving for graduate study at a mega state U. And it wasn't his first time changing schools.

Also hard to use that argument about either Collins or Mitiglou. Both got millions to drop out of school.

What?

Manning can’t sell a four year experience if he can’t get guys to stay through their fourth year.

On the scale of things that have impacted WF recruiting, the fact that Doral left after his junior year to play in the G League, and Crawford left after his junior year to play pro in Israel is not on the list. Both got a lot of run in the ACC, both are getting paid to play basketball. Playing time and getting paid to play pro basketball are good things for a program. State saw 4 players leave that program early after last year; don't think that is impacting Keatts' recruiting.

Really, the one and only factor impacting recruiting is that WF basketball is currently irrelevant. Not a coincidence that WF's best recruiting class under Manning (the 2018 class #4 in the ACC) came after WF made the NCAA tournament in 2017. The program had a little buzz, and WF capitalized. After last season's debacle, really hard to recruit against schools who played competitive and important games in March last year. If by some miracle, WF made an NCAA run this year (not predicting it; pure hypothetical), WF's recruiting for the class of 2020 would immediately pick up. If WF has another craptastic season on the court, WF's recruiting will struggle. Has nothing to do with BC playing in Tel Aviv, Doral playing in Mississippi and Keyshawn playing in Columbus.

Last edited:
Quite simply, anyone who didn't see the massive improvement of the three bigs - Collins, Dinos and Collins- is either being willfully blind or an absolute moron.

The most RJ post ever.

On the scale of things that have impacted WF recruiting, the fact that Doral left after his junior year to play in the G League, and Crawford left after his junior year to play pro in Israel is not on the list. Both got a lot of run in the ACC, both are getting paid to play basketball. Playing time and getting paid to play pro basketball are good things for a program. State saw 4 players leave that program early after last year; don't think that is impacting Keatts' recruiting.

Really, the one and only factor impacting recruiting is that WF basketball is currently irrelevant. Not a coincidence that WF's best recruiting class under Manning (the 2018 class #4 in the ACC) came after WF made the NCAA tournament in 2017. The program had a little buzz, and WF capitalized. After last season's debacle, really hard to recruit against schools who played competitive and important games in March last year. If by some miracle, WF made an NCAA run this year (not predicting it; pure hypothetical), WF's recruiting for the class of 2020 would immediately pick up. If WF has another craptastic season on the court, WF's recruiting will struggle. Has nothing to do with BC playing in Tel Aviv, Doral playing in Mississippi and Keyshawn playing in Columbus.

This is true. If we were consistently making the NCAAT, hell, or even close, then we could pull decent recruiting classes. Winning 13 games in a season completely kills our recruiting momentum - both because it casts doubt on Manning's future and because of our team's irrelevance.

Rick Lewis on Bilau yesterday:

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/2018/10/22/phenom-open-gym-tour-quality-education-academy/

In speaking with assistant coach Damian Lineberger, he stated Josaphat Baloui has received offers from Wake Forest, Georgetown, Illinois, and Texas Tech. We’re talking about someone with tremendous length, agility, and mobility. The fluid power forward has the ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the rim, hit the midrange or post up on in the paint. Baloui has excellent form and touch on his jump shot and above average ball handling skills, not to mention solid passing skills for someone his size. His perimeter shot has nice arch and proper backspin and rotation and has a nifty one dribble step back jumper. In addition, Baloui has passer friendly hands and is very patience once he receives he ball in the post area. He is a willing passer out of the post and rarely tried to force the action.

This is true. If we were consistently making the NCAAT, hell, or even close, then we could pull decent recruiting classes. Winning 13 games in a season completely kills our recruiting momentum - both because it casts doubt on Manning's future and because of our team's irrelevance.

You dream big. Wake has not reached that high mark but once in the Manning era. (were you counting exhibitions and secret games??) Manning would kill for 13 wins all in the same season.

Right. It isn’t complicated. Players want to win. Winning brings exposure that they crave, plus it’s just a heck of a lot more fun way to spend your late teenage years.

Recruits rightly look at Wake and think, so when do they win?

You dream big. Wake has not reached that high mark but once in the Manning era. (were you counting exhibitions and secret games??) Manning would kill for 13 wins all in the same season.

They've dominated on the Collins courts.

Sorry,Strick I don’t follow recruiting anymore. Somehow I’ve lost interest in the last eight years or so.

Recruiting used to be a real passion of mine for many years and Rick was getting phenom hoops going back then. It seems like you appeared about that time as well. You kind of moved into my lane which was fine with me.

Rick is a good judge of talent and has always liked Wake.

Seems like a super great guy. I've yet to see (not saying it don't exist) him write anything lukewarm or bad about a prospect. I'm open to being swayed on this take.

Back