• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

IDK WTF we are doing but pick up the phone and call for Chol, Jesus Manning!

2n9fceg.png

Talking about his son going to Wake:
242ylj5.png

I couldn't agree more. CALL HIM!!! OFFER HIM!!!!

Sometime soon, Taron will become a good coach if he likes the idea.

For those who complain that Manning doesn't jump on recruits soon enough, VC says Wake has offered Elijah Fisher, Class of 2023. No word on his possibly re-classifying to the Class of 2022.

I really don't understand how this hasn't happened yet. We're going out of our way to make offers to future one and two year transfers while a guy we have been on for awhile is just sitting there being coached by the father of a current player. It's incompetence.

For those who complain that Manning doesn't jump on recruits soon enough, VC says Wake has offered Elijah Fisher, Class of 2023. No word on his possibly re-classifying to the Class of 2022.

Does anybody complain about that? Our problem hasn't been identifying talent early. Our problem has been turning those early offers into visits and commitments.

I think that identifying and offering players early is one of the staff's biggest strengths in recruiting. They haven't necessarily landed too many of the guys who blow up after the offer but they unquestionably have identified some lower/average ranked guys who have then gone on to be blue blood level recruits.

But yeah, finding blow-up guys is nice but they've got to land them to make their early hard work actually pay off.

I think that identifying and offering players early is one of the staff's biggest strengths in recruiting. They haven't necessarily landed too many of the guys who blow up after the offer but they unquestionably have identified some lower/average ranked guys who have then gone on to be blue blood level recruits.

But yeah, finding blow-up guys is nice but they've got to land them to make their early hard work actually pay off.

This. I mean, I have logged just about every offer that we given for the last five years. Very few of our commitments are guys that our staff has spent a lot of time recruiting. Very few of our official visits come from guys we have been recruiting for a long time. Outside of the local guys, there still seems to be an element of luck/randomness in how we make inroads with prospects that just makes me wonder what the hell our staff is doing when they are out on the recruiting trail.

Sometime soon, Taron will become a good coach if he likes the idea.

Not sure how good he is but didn't Taron just start coaching a boys junior high team last season? Don't even think it was frosh or JV, but like 7th & 8th graders. Feel like I saw that on his twitter.

ETA: Yup! His twitter handle says he's the HC of the Kerr Vance Academy (Varsity) Spartans in Henderson, NC. I stand corrected, but I think he runs some camps for the kiddies. Go TD!! Fast track him to WFU! ;-)

Last edited:
This. I mean, I have logged just about every offer that we given for the last five years. Very few of our commitments are guys that our staff has spent a lot of time recruiting. Very few of our official visits come from guys we have been recruiting for a long time. Outside of the local guys, there still seems to be an element of luck/randomness in how we make inroads with prospects that just makes me wonder what the hell our staff is doing when they are out on the recruiting trail.

You really have no idea what contacts the staff puts in with each recruit. No one here does, except for maybe sportsnut (and I'm not sure about that). Just because you log when an offer is made, you have no idea what happens after that. The staff was early to offer Massoud. No one here talked about him. And then he visits and commits. There had to have been more going on than what is reported.

Not sure how good he is but didn't Taron just start coaching a boys junior high team last season? Don't even think it was frosh or JV, but like 7th & 8th graders. Feel like I saw that on his twitter.

ETA: Yup! His twitter handle says he's the HC of the Kerr Vance Academy (Varsity) Spartans in Henderson, NC. I stand corrected, but I think he runs some camps for the kiddies. Go TD!! Fast track him to WFU! ;-)

They were 25-1 last year and lost in the 2nd round of the state playoffs. I think Taron is doing good work there.

Still confused....

that picture includes Sharone Wright (on the right) and a player he is coaching. Said player is not yet, as of now, coming to Wake. Wright's son (not pictured) is a freshman basketball player at WF.

that picture includes Sharone Wright (on the right) and a player he is coaching. Said player is not yet, as of now, coming to Wake. Wright's son (not pictured) is a freshman basketball player at WF.

thanks

You really have no idea what contacts the staff puts in with each recruit. No one here does, except for maybe sportsnut (and I'm not sure about that). Just because you log when an offer is made, you have no idea what happens after that. The staff was early to offer Massoud. No one here talked about him. And then he visits and commits. There had to have been more going on than what is reported.

You’re proving my point. Either we’re not following up or the staff is really bad at maintaining communication. Neither option is that great. We’re offering prospects and then end up bringing late offers onto campus. It’s a weird use of resources and time. Whether that’s good or bad, I guess, depends on how you evaluate the results. Sometimes it has paid off for the staff. Most of the time it hasn’t.

Back