• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

What it MEANS is that this kid has most likely been signed sealed and delivered to someone else for a while now, assuming he qualifies. This is the most likely reason why no visits have been set up so far. My money is on Florida State

I think that this board needs a recruiting sub-forum. Could have a master thread with only basketball recruiting news/tweets, one corresponding thread for discussion of recruiting & recruiting strategy, and then specific threads for noteworthy recruits. Same for football too. Could even have a thread for other sports if people wish to follow that recruiting. This way people can just follow the news, view info on specific recruits, or jump into the general discussion depending on what they're looking for.

This monstrosity of a thread is like 10% news, 30% legitimate analysis, 30% fighting, and 30% off-topic junk.

I think that this board needs a recruiting sub-forum. Could have a master thread with only basketball recruiting news/tweets, one corresponding thread for discussion of recruiting & recruiting strategy, and then specific threads for noteworthy recruits. Same for football too. Could even have a thread for other sports if people wish to follow that recruiting. This way people can just follow the news, view info on specific recruits, or jump into the general discussion depending on what they're looking for.

This monstrosity of a thread is like 10% news, 30% legitimate analysis, 30% fighting, and 30% off-topic junk.

That seems like a nice balance. Our scant recruiting news could not sustain a thread on it's own.

This is my last comment on Chol since it doesn't matter on this point. If what Sportsnut says is true 1 of 2 things happened after he was offered:

1. The staff messed it up
2. His handlers asked for something/were pushing him to a certain school

Chol was offered more than a year ago, while he was still playing for IMG and had completely different handlers. It is obvious that Sharone Wright Sr. is his new handler. Chol has switched schools, moved across the country from Florida to Arizona, and was not happy at IMG. If our staff messed it up, then can't be fixed whatever. But if this is about him or his handlers asking for something over a year ago, there is no reason not to get involved again.

The FBI trial has shown that schools are not being punished for cheating on the recruiting trail. Schools are fighting over these kids to the day before signing day, trying to outbid each other. Manning should know as much, his dad was his handler who received a job at Kansas for him. Manning's mentor Bill Self has been proven to be the dirtiest coach of all, once the trial information got out. If this comes down to some handler who is likely no longer involved with Chol asking for something over a year ago, I don't see why Wake can't jump right back in. Sharone Sr. is the obvious new handler. If this comes down to someone from Wake fucking it up, it goes to show the staff aren't A level recruiters.

This is my last comment on Chol since it doesn't matter on this point. If what Sportsnut says is true 1 of 2 things happened after he was offered:

1. The staff messed it up
2. His handlers asked for something/were pushing him to a certain school

Chol was offered more than a year ago, while he was still playing for IMG and had completely different handlers. It is obvious that Sharone Wright Sr. is his new handler. Chol has switched schools, moved across the country from Florida to Arizona, and was not happy at IMG. If our staff messed it up, then can't be fixed whatever. But if this is about him or his handlers asking for something over a year ago, there is no reason not to get involved again.

The FBI trial has shown that schools are not being punished for cheating on the recruiting trail. Schools are fighting over these kids to the day before signing day, trying to outbid each other. Manning should know as much, his dad was his handler who received a job at Kansas for him. Manning's mentor Bill Self has been proven to be the dirtiest coach of all, once the trial information got out. If this comes down to some handler who is likely no longer involved with Chol asking for something over a year ago, I don't see why Wake can't jump right back in. Sharone Sr. is the obvious new handler. If this comes down to someone from Wake fucking it up, it goes to show the staff aren't A level recruiters.

Wut? Those are two of like 50 things that plausibly could have happened. Y’all are acting like Wake should have been in the pole position for this guy, which wouldn’t be the case even in the best of times for our program.

And fuck this noise about blatantly cheating.

Wut? Those are two of like 50 things that plausibly could have happened. Y’all are acting like Wake should have been in the pole position for this guy, which wouldn’t be the case even in the best of times for our program.

No one said we were ever in pole position. As to cheating, your boy Manning is on his last legs. If he wants to win and keep his job he needs to pull out all the stops, because his personality isn't winning these kids over, that much is obvious. The last 2 head coaching hires here have the worst personalities under adversity I've ever seen.

No one said we were ever in pole position. As to cheating, your boy Manning is on his last legs. If he wants to win and keep his job he needs to pull out all the stops, because his personality isn't winning these kids over, that much is obvious. The last 2 head coaching hires here have the worst personalities under adversity I've ever seen.

I couldn’t care less whether Manning or someone else leads us where no Wake coach has before. I do care that they at least try to be ethical about it.

Yeah, any number of things could have happened with this kid, there are definitely more than just two possible causes. Top of the list is probably something like Chol wasn't interested in Wake and said so right away.

Yeah, any number of things could have happened with this kid, there are definitely more than just two possible causes. Top of the list is probably something like Chol wasn't interested in Wake and said so right away.

This is the most likely scenario IMO, also ties in to the likelihood he was already destined to somewhere, or someone else soon after our offer (which was his 2nd offer after Georgetown)

Count me in the camp of not going down the road of those we often mock concerning cheating and academics.

Balsa Koprivica is going to FSU. I’m assuming that means Chol isn’t going there.

Bodes well for us getting Ayo next year.

The waiver is a complete mystery. No reason made public.

I have to believe it had to do with the coaching change from Groce to Underwood, but that seems flimsy.

From Rivals:

Chol Marial
Rivals.com
Contenders: Arizona State, Georgetown, Memphis, UCLA and others.

Early or late: Late.

Breakdown: When Marial first hit the seen as a ninth grader, he had a huge buzz. However, he's had some injury issues and moved around high schools, so things have quieted down. He's got programs in contact, but Marial is going to be one of those guys for whom we'll have to wait and see who prioritizes him before making any predictions on his recruitment.

Rivals says Tre Mitchell is still open, however I think ND and UCONN have out recruited everyone and are way ahead there. I wouldve put Pitt 3rd over Illinois too:

Tre Mitchell
Jon Lopez/Nike @NikeEYB
Contenders: Connecticut, Illinois, Notre Dame and others.

Early or late: Late.

Breakdown: Mitchell has good skill, good size and should be ready to play important minutes pretty early in college. Notre Dame has gone all out for him and are in pretty good position and UConn and Illinois are certainly factors. The feel here is that he will wait to sign and that his recruitment could still be fairly open.

Back