• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Charges Filed in Mueller Investigation

Do you think there is a danger in an entity, like Facebook, being an arbiter of what is and is not fake news?

We are already seeing the effects of this Russia paranoia. People are using Abolish ICE and BLM movements to say that they are pushed by Russian trolls, not by legitimate grassroots activists. A certain segment of Hillary twitter already engages in the "Bernie is a Russian agent" fear mongering.

The danger, which we see with your horseshoe response, is that any political disagreement from the establishment is dismissed because the establishment wants to smear leftists as either "just like fascists" or russian agents.

I suppose there is a danger in an entity, like Facebook, being an arbiter of what is and what is not fake news -- but it's their website and a lesser danger than Russian bots manipulating elections by using fake news to sway rubes on both sides, or the Trump administration (or the government, generally) being the arbiter of what content should or should not be on a website like Facebook or twitter. What's the alternative?

You need to realize there is a world beyond the twitterverse and what Hillary twitter is saying.

In any event, as ITC said, this has nothing to do with the Mueller probe and Hillary twitter would be saying the same things regardless. And I've seen what Bernie twitter looks like (and looked like before the election) -- not in a place to point fingers. If the endgame is that the Russian probe should end, is fake news, or should be ignored, because Hillary twitter is saying mean things about Bernie twitter, I think that is some rubish rubbish (TM)

However, it does make sense that Russian bots would be, and perhaps have been, all over Bernie/Stein twitter -- they know they can sow discord and potentially affect elections by getting the left's rubes to abstain or vote for the "claimed" other side. On you to root that out if it's there.

So, they should allow obviously fake, racist and falsely but intentionally incendiary material shouldn't be blocked?

More importantly, the 1st Amendment has nothing to do with anything on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or other platforms. Those companies are not the government. They have the absolute right to block anything and anyone they so choose.

Yeah, you had better believe Facebook isn't making decisions because of some ethical code. They're choosing to block this trash because they don't want to be known as the source for fake news. It's that free market everyone is always clamoring about.

Honestly, radicals on either side (mostly Trump supporters) are the only people I see posting anything other than baby photos on Facebook these days anyway. If you get your news from Facebook, then I'm not particularly interested in hearing your "informed" opinion.

Now, getting your news from a message board via posts from people you've never met, that's totally fine. ;)

Last edited:
If the Democrats win back the House in 2018 (above 60% to do so every where I look at present), I expect them to impeach. Shares on PredictIt are 40 cents that he'll be impeached during his first term, 60 cents that he won't be.

I again say Dems in congress are wasting their time with impeachment solely along partisan lines and instead need to focus on the midterms and 2020. Even if you take the house back and are able to get every Dem there in favor of impeachment, ain't no way you can get 67 votes in the senate to convict, so it's just an exercise in futility. Dem leadership would be smart to come out and say this now - that they won't impeach unless serious crimes have been committed and they believe they have enough Pubs on board to both impeach and convict.

I think President Pelosi should be able to appoint her own AG, so it's probably fair.

I shudder at the thought. She's about as incoherent as Trump's tweets are these days and a yuge liability to Dems running for the house in red and purple states. I'm still pissed they're not voting to replace her till after the midterms.

Unless something really major is proven, I would doubt Dems will impeach Trump. Without that, there will be no way to get enough votes in the Senate.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a Dem House censure or do other things.

I again say Dems in congress are wasting their time with impeachment solely along partisan lines and instead need to focus on the midterms and 2020. Even if you take the house back and are able to get every Dem there in favor of impeachment, ain't no way you can get 67 votes in the senate to convict, so it's just an exercise in futility. Dem leadership would be smart to come out and say this now - that they won't impeach unless serious crimes have been committed and they believe they have enough Pubs on board to both impeach and convict.

That would just be suppressing Dem turnout. The way for leadership to play it is not to bring it up.

I’d do the complete opposite and campaign for 2018 as a referendum on Donald and impeachment. Fuck him and the horse (GOP) he rode in on.

Call me crazy but I have a feeling we’re going to see some fucked up stuff come out of the Mueller investigation that will force 2/3rds of the Senate to take action. For anyone paying close attention to the investigation, there are a lot of damning storylines that are out there that haven’t been paid off. For example...foreign intelligence intercepts of Trump’s campaign staff.

I think it’s smart for dems to not run on impeachment. Independent and Democrat intensity is already really high. No need to poke Trump’s base and give them a reason to turn out when your own side is ready to walk over broken glass to get to the polls in November.

Well Clinton was impeached and not convicted by the Senate and my repub friends were ecstatic because it was a stain on his reputation that would never go away, trump has done seemingly much worse and should not be given a pass.

Well Clinton was impeached and not convicted by the Senate and my repub friends were ecstatic because it was a stain on his reputation that would never go away, trump has done seemingly much worse and should not be given a pass.

100% this. If a President can be impeached for lying under oath about a blowjob...a President can be impeached for any one of the number of laws Trump has broken. He doesn’t get a pass because Trump, his base and his enablers in Congress like to act like petulant children and play the victim card. They need to man up and take responsibility for their actions (or lack thereof).

Especially when we are talking about something as serious as the President of the United States possibly being compromised by a foreign adversary because of a host of illegal activity.

Lying about blowjobs from an intern are fucking child’s play compared to this shit show.

Mueller offers to limit investigators’ questions for Trump in special counsel’s latest effort to secure presidential interview

In a letter sent Monday, Mueller’s team suggested that investigators would reduce by nearly half the number of questions they would ask about potential obstruction of justice, the two people said. It’s unclear which topic or topics would be left out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...09212fb69c2_story.html?utm_term=.9703a86905b5

Mueller offers to limit investigators’ questions for Trump in special counsel’s latest effort to secure presidential interview

In a letter sent Monday, Mueller’s team suggested that investigators would reduce by nearly half the number of questions they would ask about potential obstruction of justice, the two people said. It’s unclear which topic or topics would be left out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...09212fb69c2_story.html?utm_term=.9703a86905b5

I can’t imagine it’s going to take more than 5 questions for Mueller to get everything he needs.

In the 80's, Bijan used to sell cashmere socks at his Beverly Hills store for $300/pair. By now, I guess they'd cost $1000+. I wonder how many pairs Manafort had.

Back