• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

So, the only way we are not in the Belk Bowl is if State loses, Wake loses, and UVa wins? Nevermind, I see the record assumptions at the bottom.

Yeah barring a crazy end of season and Wake not playing in the Orange Bowl, I think a lot would have to happen for Wake not to go to the Belk bowl. This includes teams that could be picked ahead of Wake losing this week while Wake beats Duke (thus perhaps moving Wake ahead of the Belk) as well as teams that could be picked ahead of Wake winning while Wake loses (allowing bowls to take teams over Wake). The latter is far more likely IMO and would feature UVA beating VPI while Wake loses - giving the Belk an option between two 7 wins teams in which case I think Belk does take Virginia. Belk won't take a UVA team with fewer wins over Wake.

That assumes both Louisville and VT win this weekend. I don’t think either is a given.

I think for our purposes, it won't matter. Because I don't think we'd get selected ahead of either team for Citrus, CW, or Gator bowl.

Just remember we sold a home game to the Uptown or Downtown Charlotte Athletic Club in 2020 so one would assume the Belk bowl will be willing to invite the Deacs.

Belk is very interested in Wake. Beating State was a massive step. Beating Duke guarantees we will do no worse than the Belk.

So, the only way we are not in the Belk Bowl is if State loses, Wake loses, and UVa wins? Nevermind, I see the record assumptions at the bottom.

VT seems a necessity since I'm assuming the lazy approach will be taken and they'll get the nod at 9-3. But I think we could be higher than State even if they beat UNC. Maybe the committee would take the easy way out and put us ahead of them since we won H2H.

Or they'll put State higher assuming they'd sell more tickets :tinfoilhat:

NC State beat writer sketched it out based on whether NC State beats UNC or loses, and if 2 ACC teams make Playoff, assuming we are 8-4

347tnck.jpg

I do very much question whether either Orlando bowl would take Loui again when they were down there last year and didn't draw very well. Unless ESPN gives them some sort of quid pro quo because Jackson will rate.

He's also assuming ND would make the New Year's Six under the Clem+Miami in CFP scenario which I don't think is a given. There'd only be two at-large spots left among the four bowls

I already looked at flights and hotel to Charlotte.

Just remember we sold a home game to the Uptown or Downtown Charlotte Athletic Club in 2020 so one would assume the Belk bowl will be willing to invite the Deacs.

Good point. State played in CLT and lost to an SEC team in the home opener. Their fans were planning on a better bowl than Belk. How well would State fans support the Belk Bowl this year?

As far as the selection process is concerned Belk, Sun, Pin Stripe, Music City/Tax Slayer are all equal. They decide what match-ups are most beneficial to them as far as revenue, tv ratings, attendance. So Wake really can't "drop" from the Belk to the Sun. At this point Wake is guaranteed to at least be in a Tier One bowl.

But from fans perspective there is a huge difference.

Technically I don't think we're guaranteed a Tier One bowl at this point. 6-6 teams can be picked ahead of 7-5 ones.

A win this week would take care of that though. 8-4 and you can't fall past Tier One

Technically I don't think we're guaranteed a Tier One bowl at this point. 6-6 teams can be picked ahead of 7-5 ones.

A win this week would take care of that though. 8-4 and you can't fall past Tier One

FFS, we're going to the Belk Bowl.

Weren't you saying UVa or GT would be picked ahead of us for the Belk Bowl? If things break a certain way next weekend I could see either of those happening.

If there's one thing that should never be taken for granted, it's the bowl selection process. Always lots of last-minute dealings and shenanigans going on

Weren't you saying UVa or GT would be picked ahead of us for the Belk Bowl? If things break a certain way next weekend I could see either of those happening.

If there's one thing that should never be taken for granted, it's the bowl selection process. Always lots of last-minute dealings and shenanigans going on

I said they could. That's not happening now. Ga Tech's not going to Charlotte with a 5-7 record, but all things even, they would probably be picked ahead of us.

Back