• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

I suspect that there are some NRA supporters on this board, but none of them are weighing in - which is why the “debate” isn’t great. Everyone posting here agrees. About all we have been able to get is some people speculating about the NRA’s position. While I get that it’s not fun to get pummeled by this crowd, if you’re going to support the NRA no matter what the cost, doing so without ever publicly defending your position is just chickenshit.

The FL NRA has a solution to school shootings. They are trying to pass a bill to allow more guns on school campuses.

This goes well with their laws that demand that any city, county, state or municipal cop who wants to testify against any gun law or for any restrictions on guns/gun ownership must pay all their own expenses to and from the state capitol and testify in street clothes not in their uniforms, but if you support expanding gun "rights" your expenses are paid and you appear in uniform.

If there is truly going to be open debate about gun control then it will start with people who can see both points of view. People who are hell bent one way or another either come across as stupid redneck or condescending and out of touch with middle America. I try to see validity on both sides of the argument to see a way for the best possible outcome. Some people get really fired up and it becomes a pissing match more than a debate. People end up being offended and will never see the other point of view. Posters like LouisGossetJr make me want to argue against him because he seems combative or condescending

73, I posted this a couple of pages ago. I think it's very reasonable:

If not for the NRA, the following would be done deals:

Back ground check on every transfer of ownership of any gun/rifle- this includes gun shows and private sales
Ban Bump stocks
Ban magazines/clips of over 12 (or 15)
Register all guns
Military must immediately update databases with crimes committed in the military

Not quite as easy but still supported by over 50% of the public:

Ban military style weapons like AR-15s
Limit monthly sales of production guns (with exceptions for licensed security companies and for collections of antiques {100+years old}
Liability Insurance on every gun/rifle
Strict liability laws on guns/rifles like we have on cars/homes
Make manufacturers liable for not blocking convertibility to fully automatic
If you don't do a trackable background check and a crime is committed with your former gun, you get charged as an acessory

73, I posted this a couple of pages ago. I think it's very reasonable:

If not for the NRA, the following would be done deals:

Back ground check on every transfer of ownership of any gun/rifle- this includes gun shows and private sales
Ban Bump stocks
Ban magazines/clips of over 12 (or 15)
Register all guns
Military must immediately update databases with crimes committed in the military

Not quite as easy but still supported by over 50% of the public:

Ban military style weapons like AR-15s
Limit monthly sales of production guns (with exceptions for licensed security companies and for collections of antiques {100+years old}
Liability Insurance on every gun/rifle
Strict liability laws on guns/rifles like we have on cars/homes
Make manufacturers liable for not blocking convertibility to fully automatic
If you don't do a trackable background check and a crime is committed with your former gun, you get charged as an acessory

Some good points here. I don’t think all are feasible but many are and need to be implemented. Now that we have the #phactsandstats I’ll post my thoughts below

First of all, I am a gun owner. I have 4. 3 hand guns and a rifle. I obtained 2 from gun stores, 1 from a gun show, and 1 independently from a friend. I have also purchased a gun at a show for my brother, a shot gun. I got my concealed carry at 21 and have renewed it since.

There’s 0% reason that I should be able to buy a gun using my CC permit and just hand it off to anyone without penalty. Obviously I trust my brother with a shotgun, but the loophole is there. He could have legally bought the gun himself but let’s pretend it required a permit, fine, but the loophole is still there where I can buy it for anyone and hand it off. That needs to change.

-I personally think an age limit restriction should be implemented. I say 21 and under with the exception of written parents consent. If parental consent is given, they are equally liable for any crime committed with that gun.
-transfers need to be documented and registered in the same way as cars. Want to gift someone a gun? Fine. They give you a dollar then meet you down at the station to file the paperwork.
-commuited a felony? Had a documented mental illness? Been prescribed xxx level medication in the last 5 years? Sorry, no firearm for you. Want to do it anyways? Jail time on first offense. (I also want to see mandatory jail time for first offense DUI in my lifetime but I know it’ll never happen and will stay on topic)
-over 21 and want to buy a firearm? Great. Take this mandatory 12 hour class to obtain a buyers permit. It’s required to own a firearm now. Already have a firearm? Great. To legally maintain that firearm you have a year to compete the class. Necessary every 5-7 years

Without touching the mechanics of guns, that’s what I have off the top of my head. I’d be willing to add banning bump stocks as well if I got into that.

Something needs to be done. The R vs D pissing contest is at its worst during times like these. If you can’t set aside what team you pull for in politics while kids get pumped full of lead then fuck you. I got pissed earlier in the thread when users use false stats just for their party’s political gain. Also part of the problem. 1 is the only number that matters. Once it reached that point change was needed.

I personally don’t think anything will happen. Obama did nothing. Trump will definitely not do anything. This is a regular thing now. I honestly have no idea how to fix it, not because the ideas aren’t correct, but because we’re all stuck with people in charge that will never do anything. Both sides. Dems did nothing. Pubs do nothing. This will happen again in April and we’ll do it again. Alright done ranting

Yeah. SD3 can keep voting for Pubs and hide behind “Dems did nothing” knowing good and well only one side is stopping reform from happening.

Yeah. SD3 can keep voting for Pubs and hide behind “Dems did nothing” knowing good and well only one side is stopping reform from happening.

Lol and you wonder why everyone on here hates you

Didn’t vote for tuump or pat, get over it buddy.

Lol and you wonder why everyone on here hates you

Didn’t vote for tuump or pat, get over it buddy.

You didn’t vote for Pubs? You’re a conservative, right? Which gun control candidates did you vote for?

Some good points here. I don’t think all are feasible but many are and need to be implemented. Now that we have the #phactsandstats I’ll post my thoughts below

First of all, I am a gun owner. I have 4. 3 hand guns and a rifle. I obtained 2 from gun stores, 1 from a gun show, and 1 independently from a friend. I have also purchased a gun at a show for my brother, a shot gun. I got my concealed carry at 21 and have renewed it since.

There’s 0% reason that I should be able to buy a gun using my CC permit and just hand it off to anyone without penalty. Obviously I trust my brother with a shotgun, but the loophole is there. He could have legally bought the gun himself but let’s pretend it required a permit, fine, but the loophole is still there where I can buy it for anyone and hand it off. That needs to change.

-I personally think an age limit restriction should be implemented. I say 21 and under with the exception of written parents consent. If parental consent is given, they are equally liable for any crime committed with that gun.
-transfers need to be documented and registered in the same way as cars. Want to gift someone a gun? Fine. They give you a dollar then meet you down at the station to file the paperwork.
-commuited a felony? Had a documented mental illness? Been prescribed xxx level medication in the last 5 years? Sorry, no firearm for you. Want to do it anyways? Jail time on first offense. (I also want to see mandatory jail time for first offense DUI in my lifetime but I know it’ll never happen and will stay on topic)
-over 21 and want to buy a firearm? Great. Take this mandatory 12 hour class to obtain a buyers permit. It’s required to own a firearm now. Already have a firearm? Great. To legally maintain that firearm you have a year to compete the class. Necessary every 5-7 years

Without touching the mechanics of guns, that’s what I have off the top of my head. I’d be willing to add banning bump stocks as well if I got into that.

Something needs to be done. The R vs D pissing contest is at its worst during times like these. If you can’t set aside what team you pull for in politics while kids get pumped full of lead then fuck you. I got pissed earlier in the thread when users use false stats just for their party’s political gain. Also part of the problem. 1 is the only number that matters. Once it reached that point change was needed.

I personally don’t think anything will happen. Obama did nothing. Trump will definitely not do anything. This is a regular thing now. I honestly have no idea how to fix it, not because the ideas aren’t correct, but because we’re all stuck with people in charge that will never do anything. Both sides. Dems did nothing. Pubs do nothing. This will happen again in April and we’ll do it again. Alright done ranting

These make sense, and I am for even tighter control for this. I do hesitate some with the implementation of laws such as these because I'm sure they will be proportionately enforced on POC, much like drug laws.

Definitely. Conservatives largely support stop and frisk even though it’s literally government taking people’s guns.

just for the record, i like PhDeac (i've never met him in real life.) I do think the undefeated tags are funny though.

what do you think about "nathan bedford phorrest"

Here's an idea that I think all but the craziest among us should agree to:

National purchase any gun or rifle should be 21. We need this supercede places like FL who have laws that allow 18 yos to buy weapons.

The NRA, FL Legislature and Gov. Rick "the thief" Scott should all be held accountable for the killings in FL this week. Without their insane law, it's very likely this kid never gets that gun.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/18/kasich-congress-guns-wake-up-416859

"Ohio Gov. John Kasich slammed lawmakers Sunday for failing to act in response to last week's mass shooting in Florida, urging them to “wake up” and consider “common-sense gun laws.”
...The Ohio Republican cited efforts to expand background checks on gun sales and to curtail the sale of assault weapons, like the AR-15 used in Wednesday’s shooting, as remedies that legislators ought to consider."

These make sense, and I am for even tighter control for this. I do hesitate some with the implementation of laws such as these because I'm sure they will be proportionately enforced on POC, much like drug laws.

You're exactly right (assuming you intended *disproportionate* enforcement).

I don't know that stop and frisk is aimed exclusively at guns... I figured it was equally aimed at drugs and drug paraphenalia? In any event, I am a conservative and I don't know why any American would be in favor of stop and frisk as I understand it (no probable cause needed) - it goes against our basic principles.

Back