• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mass shooting thread - Santa Fe High School 05/18/18

I think Gov. Abbott has finally found a solution....all schools should have one entrance #genius

Not a terrible idea in theory. Would need to have multiple emergency exits that are locked from the outside.

Moved and merged to keep discussion in one place (and because it is inevitable that this becomes super political in nature).

Not a terrible idea in theory. Would need to have multiple emergency exits that are locked from the outside.

No, it’s a terrible and absurd idea.

Why don’t we just dig moats around schools to slow down a potential shooter? We could even stock it with sharks with frickin laser beams.

lol every school has multiple emergency exits that are locked from the outside. Generally speaking, most also have one "entrance" as well.

Why don’t we just dig moats around schools to slow down a potential shooter? We could even stock it with sharks with frickin laser beams.

why is limiting access to one entrance a terrible idea?

I understand there will need to be exceptions; e.g. a 4,000 student high school with multiple buildings

and yes - obligatory, the best idea is to have no guns; however, we have 300 million guns, so let's limit access to schools

lol every school has multiple emergency exits that are locked from the outside. Generally speaking, most also have one "entrance" as well.

So why not make sure every school has one main entrance, plenty of emergency exits and 2 SRO's. 1 SRO at the main entrance and one dicking around doing whatever the hell else SRO's do to pass time.

Now you're getting it.

why is limiting access to one entrance a terrible idea?

I understand there will need to be exceptions; e.g. a 4,000 student high school with multiple buildings

and yes - obligatory, the best idea is to have no guns; however, we have 300 million guns, so let's limit access to schools

Because every school I ever attended had multiple large buildings covering a large area in which its not even remotely realistic to implement. And inefficient. And would be a logistical nightmare getting students around. And a million other reasons why this is stupid.

Just another idiotic band aid suggestion that carefully avoids addressing the giant elephant thrashing around the room.

And why would large schools with multiple buildings get an exception? Seems like they’d be the ones requiring the most protection given the higher concentration of unarmed students. Better dig a moat instead! Or better yet a force field!

educators I know have no realistic way of making the giant elephant go away

they just need to do the best they can to keep kids from getting shot, and limiting access is one such way

even if it's a logistical nightmare

Because every school I ever attended had multiple large buildings covering a large area in which its not even remotely realistic to implement. And inefficient. And would be a logistical nightmare getting students around. And a million other reasons why this is stupid.

Just another idiotic band aid suggestion that carefully avoids addressing the giant elephant thrashing around the room.

Correct. That doesn't mean future school construction can't trend towards a safer model. There are examples of newer schools in the Triad that have already taken this approach, to an extent.

It's kind of like the gun laws. Yes, there are unlimited guns on the black market that can easily get into the wrong persons hands. Banning assault rifles and slowing down the manufacturing of said rifles will slowly, over time, eliminate the problem at the source. You have to eat an elephant 1 bite at a time.

Last edited:
Initiating a massive retrofitting operation of a billion schools of various designs on an individual building level to limit shooter access to one door, which can be easily entered by a dude with an AR-15 = totally doable!

Initiating common sense or frankly any firearm legislation = way too complicated

We should make gun owners financially responsible for damage done by them. If your kid takes you car and does damage or kills someone, the parents are sued. The same should happen with guns.

If you sell your gun to felon and commits a crime, you should be held financially responsible and as an accessory. The BS that the guy told he wasn't a felon shouldn't matter.

How sick is it that RWers have talked about "personal responsibility" for decades, but when they have to be responsible for their actions, they cry like stuck pigs. They are pathetic hypocrites.

Initiating a massive retrofitting operation of a billion schools of various designs on an individual building level to limit shooter access to one door, which can be easily entered by a dude with an AR-15 = totally doable!

Initiating common sense or frankly any firearm legislation = way too complicated

I now see the error of my ways

the elementary school down the street from me has around 15 entrances, 14 of which have been locked to visitors for the last several years

but that's foolish, we should just swing the doors open

carry on

Your sarcasm is misguided. No one is forcing any ideas down your throat. I'm also not suggesting we retrofit schools. Reading comprehension is key. Future construction can lead to building safer schools. 1 bite of elephant, remember? This might not change the number of school shootings over the next 30-40 years but again, this puts a process in place for the future.

There's no excuse, legal reason or logical rationale to explain why every gun shouldn't have to have liability insurance.

Your sarcasm is misguided. No one is forcing any ideas down your throat. I'm also not suggesting we retrofit schools. Reading comprehension is key. Future construction can lead to building safer schools. 1 bite of elephant, remember? This might not change the number of school shootings over the next 30-40 years but again, this puts a process in place for the future.

Well my future grandkids can certainly look forward to that. How bout taking a big bite now with some common sense legislation instead of throwing up our hands and saying “too many guns to deal with”

Back